Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

I finished the vcrete over the dome today.
    I had to disasemble the swinging template when I got to the top where I had done a cut down in the insulation.

I placed all six patches exactlty where from they were cut and placed a wire patch over the area.
    I used a lower section of the template arm as a guage or template to finish.
    Here it is complete with a standard size vent opening.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I can't believe how uniform and smooth your vcete is. Great job, bar is getting set pretty high.............
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        I can't believe how uniform and smooth your vcete is. Great job, bar is getting set pretty high.............
        Thank's very much Russell,
        But, it is all about the tools. The tools, I got from this forum .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That dome is a pleasure to look at. The attention to detail is tremendous. Will you eventually plug the top of the dome or use the hole to vent moisture? Great work!

gene

Comment

Thanks Gene,
            I will probably fill the hole in the vcrete layer with a small piece of the blanket that I have left. I might come up with some kind of cork to put in it that ain't to noticeable from the ground once the brick are layed on the dome. There is also the option of putting a decorative plate over it like was mentioned a page or two back.

Comment

I might come up with some kind of cork to put in it that ain't to noticeable from the ground once the brick are layed on the dome. There is also the option of putting a decorative plate over it like was mentioned a page or two back.
              This is what you want gulf (btw that is one hell of a (helluva in US I believe) nice job you've done on the vcrete btw
              Google Image Result for http://www.radcraft.com/aimg/21ZSCoHvoyL._SL160_.jpg
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by Amac View Post
                This is what you want gulf (btw that is one hell of a (helluva in US I believe) nice job you've done on the vcrete btw
                Google Image Result for http://www.radcraft.com/aimg/21ZSCoHvoyL._SL160_.jpg
                That's pretty cool Amac,
                I hope that I have enough blanket between the dome and the vcrete for it not to work. Though, your giving me an idea for the chimney cap . And thanks for the compliment on the vcrete but, it's kind of embarassing to see a perfectly round dome like yours done strictly by eye. Now that was a helluva good job .

Good accent on the helluva by the way. It depends on what part of the US for pronuciation. Down here where I'm from we tend to take large blocks of words in a sentence and squeeze them down to as few syllables as possible .
                Last edited by Gulf; 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Gulf,

Reread your post about closing the dome and going to use your idea of multi discs to complete last few courses. Thanks for the innovation......also going to drill a hole in the last disk for the mortar to push out.
                  Russell

Comment

Gulf,

Reread your post about closing the dome and going to use your idea of multi discs to complete last few courses. Thanks for the innovation......also going to drill a hole in the last disk for the mortar to push out.
                    Thank's Russell,
                    But, if you reference back to Karangi Dude's Build , you will see where I got the idea .

Comment

Gulf,

I did see the Karanga Dude did this innovation originally but you improved his great idea by just screwing a smaller disk to the larger one below. A nice improvement to KD design plus the mortar hole for the plug. But one thing, you have some serious competition on the cooking end between KD and Tu.
                      Russell

Comment

Gulf,
                        ............... But one thing, you have some serious competition on the cooking end between KD and Tu.
                        No competition . I know how to cook a little, but I want to learn how to cook a lot .
                        Last edited by Gulf; 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Like the new MQ logo...........
                          Russell

Comment

Thanks' Russell,
                            It's been slow around here of late, in not getting any real progress done on the MQ. I saw a post by Ken and saw his new
                            KEEP CALM
                            and
                            COOK
                            PIZZA
                            , signature and noticed that the crown had a fluer de lis. Well that and a few "skull heads", (a local slang for Budwieser, the non-diet version) , and that is what I came up with. At least until I can get a finished pic of her complete .

Comment

For the face of the stand, I cut 1" slits from old face brick. I used Speedset to attach them to the block and monolithic arch. I retro fitted a piece of sunlight resistant/direct burial electrical wire to light the wood storage area. I drilled through "between" the poured cells and ran it along a mortar joint to hide it in the face brick..

Removing the (+ or -70 alumina content) kiln brick, which had been toothed out was a chore. That stuff is hard. I was able to cut a couple in place, but found it easier to chissel the mortar out and replace. I made the mistake of cutting one on the wet saw and finnished off a blade.

I added three more narrow bands of luan plywood to the outside of the original form for the monolithic arch to allow for a reveal.

I have tuck pointed all of this in but, I dont have a pic at the moment. Now that it is daylight enough to see, I have to go out and get ready for another dmn hurricane.

Comment

Long time Gulf,

Liking your brick arch and keystone. Yes, those high alumina bricks kill off the diamond blades. Liking the idea of thin strips of brick for veneer. May thug your idea for my build. Hoping you don't hit too bad the hurricane.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X