Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

I started early this morning with the Karangi Dude Heat Bead (charcoal briqets) Curing Method.
    I sure was glad to see smoke coming out only where it is supposed to .
    Last edited by Gulf; 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

There she blows! Congrats!
      dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
      sigpic

Comment

The Miss on here maiden voyage..............
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There she goes!!! The Saints is going to win tommorow for sure!
          Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Thank's Ya'll,
            And Tu, We've just about got it set up for the biggest come back in NFL history .

I am using a blast/smoking door on the my outside arch along with the damper to help control the temp.

Both of which are inspired by Brickie. Forgive my first attempt at heat resistant paint for the Willie G. I will be repainting the door and making either a smooth SS or diamond plate cut out to cover this up.
            Here is a shortcut to Brickie's damper video where he shows how damper positon can be used to control temperature. I will be using it later to for low and slow cooking and smoking meat. For now it is working great for curing temp control.
            Here is a link to Brickie's Blast Door.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I was into curing about 2 hours this morning before I remembered to take the beer can out of th ven........er, ah..... blow hole in the top of the dome . At that time the bottom of the can was cool to the touch as well as the outside of the stucco layer. A little after noon, I noticed that there seemed to be damp heat coming from the "hole". The stucco layer still seemed to be ambient temperature. I placed some plastic film over the opening, and in couple more hours there was visible moisture under the plastic.

This is a David S. technique.

I removed the plastic and noticed later around "dark:30" that the stucco layer was beginning to feel a little more warmer than skin temp.

I have done 3 complete firings with the charoal chimney and a couple of "just add charcoal" firings today. At the beginning of the first firing, I had to close the damper to about 25% open to get the temp up to 200 degrees. Each subsequent firing or charcoal addition since required the damper to be opened further to keep the temp down to the 200-210 degree F range. The last firing required the damper to be 100% open to keep the temp down to 220 degrees. When the temp starts falling beelow 200 with the damper fully closed I will set the insulated door and call it a night. But, I'll get up early and keep this going til tomorrow evening .
              Last edited by Gulf; 10-25-2012, 02:39 AM.

Comment

One thing that Karangi Dude warned me about was the difficulty in working a big oven with a deep entry. Even placing the "beads" in it requires a little more work or at least some work arounds. I clamped my charcoal chimney to a broken ore handle. I used this and a lumber roller to easily place the charcoal in the oven.

The roller will become a permanant part of the ovens landing .

Comment

Cool. One thing about us Americans, we know how to innovate. Now I must find a way to incorporate a roller, I will make mine's brass.

Comment

Origionally posted by Laurentius
                    Cool. One thing about us Americans, we know how to innovate. Now I must find a way to incorporate a roller, I will make mine's brass.
                    I'll probably have to settle for brass colored paint unless I win the lottery, and an antique back also helps spur innovation .

Comment

"Antique Back", got that! Creaky knees, that's a breeze and a friend of Arthr, just like brother. So I should be thinking like Albert Einstein? Not.

Comment

I'm still working on the curing. It did not take near as much charcoal to keep the temp up last night and even less today. Less charcoal and less loadings. I was beginning to think that 8 bags was not going to be enough. I think that 8 bags will be a plenty.
                        I couldn't let all that heat go to waste. I through in a couple of scupanine vine wood cuttings and a couple of hickory nuts for smoke. I placed one of my favorite snacks in the oven high on my make shift tuscan to heat up and soak up a little of that smoke.

Boudin

Here it is served with the recomended wine .

Comment

Way to go, beer and sausages!! Congrats on start of curing.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                            Way to go, beer and sausages!! Congrats on start of curing.
                            Did someone say beer and sausages. How come I was not invited....

Chip

PS: ditto on the congrats..
                            Chip

Comment

Nice work Gulf. I love the roller method. I found when I put my landing on my oven, even 3 more inches of reach really changed the cooking experience. Wait till you start trying to place logs on banked coals...
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

No problem, roller already installed.

Comment

Working...
                                X