Mississippi 44"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

We made it home no worries, Lafayette yesterday for tailgating at the UL game, then home today. The scene of that wreck was about 2 miles long on both sides of the highway and it was not hard to see. Jeez, what a mess.

Comment

Hey Gulf,

What's been happening with the Queen? I am pretty much shutdown from a construction view point only hit a high of 21 degrees yesterday, in the 30s today. Been slowly procurring materials and tools for the dome covering but other than that not so much, Your weather probably allows you to keep on putting along. I guess your done curing?
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I just went through all your pictures, man you went all out with this. Awesome work
        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Yes, I think that I am done with curing. From my experience, The Dude's heat beads (charcoal briquettes: the american translation ) is the "ticket". I believe that it is a much milder way to cure than doing increasingly larger wood fires. To paraphraise David S. on another thread, the fires still create extreme temps on the apex of the dome well before doing any thing for the sides.

I had to wait about two weeks after the charcoal cure (due to other obligations) to use well seasoned limb wood to see and smell my first dome clearing. (I still used the method of increasingly larger wood fires, though.) Wow, it was a sight to see this thing start turning white at the apex and slowly consuming the black smoot until the entire dome was clear. I did notice that there was no more damp heat coming from the vent hole at the top of the dome and the shell felt almost an ambient temperature.

After clearing the dome, I placed four foiled potatoes and a sirloin tip roast in the large flue/entry of my oven. I placed my Willie G. Blast door and and tweaked the damper to get the flue area to about 340 degrees F. The potatoes were placed about half way between the inner arch and the center of the the flue/entry. The roast was placed closest to the outside of the flue. They both turned out great.

I am finished with my "Red Neck Rivriera" side line job and hope this weekend, that I can do a little more experimenting with the MQ.
          Last edited by Gulf; 12-21-2012, 06:48 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thank's V-wiz, you have one heck of a back drop for your oven. That is a beautiful view. I really do like your old brick. They will look great on your stand, but if you can get enough of them, the limit is only your imagination .
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,
              I notice too that there is a smell associated with the dome clearing. I agree with your assessment abt using heat beads. It seem easier to control and moderate heat. Thanks KD.
              Have a nice holiday season.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                Thank's V-wiz, you have one heck of a back drop for your oven. That is a beautiful view. I really do like your old brick. They will look great on your stand, but if you can get enough of them, the limit is only your imagination .

Thanks.. I enjoy the view also. The bricks you see in the pics are not the inly ones i have. I have about 300 more bricks. So total about 900-1000 red bricks
                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Cleared the dome again last night and cooked my first two pizzas. Sorry to say that they were Hunt's Brothers . (You have to crawl before you can walk) My wife bought them raw from the local store. They asked her twiced If she really meant that she wanted them uncooked .

They were the best Hunt's brothers pizza that we have ever had. Cooked some "oven style" BBQ chicken to day for lunch. It was OK but nothing to really brag about.

I put in a 14 pound brisket that I smoked and seared on my grill and side smoker. Put it in at 6:00 pm at approximately 240 degrees. At 7:30 pm I removed the Willie G. Door (approximately 230 degrees) and set the insulated door for the night.

I used a dry rub before searing on the grill. It was placed in a foil pan, baisted widh a homemade BBQ sauce, and covered with foil. The sauce was spiked with minced grape tomatoes, bell pepper,and just a little minced jalapeno pepper.

Just experimenting .

Comment

Why bother driving a Ferrari to the drive up window at Mcdonalds?

Dough is the easiest thing in the world to make: Flour, water, salt, and yeast.

Sauce: crushed tomatoes

Cheese: anything

Toppings: anything

Get after it!~

Comment

Cleared the dome again last night and cooked my first two pizzas. Sorry to say that they were Hunt's Brothers . (You have to crawl before you can walk) My wife bought them raw from the local store. They asked her twiced If she really meant that she wanted them uncooked .
                      You heathen you......
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Tscarborough, brickie in oz,
                        10-4, copied direct .

Comment

Tscarborough, brickie in oz,
                          10-4, copied direct .
                          jump in the pool the water is nice, you have an oven....now use it.

Chip
                          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                            jump in the pool the water is nice, you have an oven....now use it.

Chip
                            Thank's for the advice Chip.

I intend to do just that. Actually I am but, pizza is just not on the top of my A list ("lord I appoligize for that and bless the little pigmies down in New Guinee") .

Comment

Gulf -
                              Congrats on getting started cooking. I am sure that in time you will tackle dough making with the same passion you've applied to building the oven and we will all be in awe.

I made 6 pies tonight for the family using the America's Test Kitchen "crispy pizza" dough recipe. I usually go with a sourdough culture - but this recipe was a winner for using IDY. Good one to try out.
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thank's for the advice Chip.

I intend to do just that. Actually I am but, pizza is just not on the top of my A list ("lord I appoligize for that and bless the little pigmies down in New Guinee") .
                                I do find that I make Pizza much less than bread, roasts and other cooked items, Pizza is about #6 on the list in terms of frequency. Making Cornbread and egg bake for tomorrow.
                                Chip

Comment

Working...
                                X