• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texman
    replied
    Re: Texman Build

Sorry about the drawing
    This is my plan for closing the dome. Instead of a 12th course and a plug, i would like to do the 7 brick configuration attached. I know i have seen other builds finish this way, but cant remember who, so credit to you for this.
    Any concerns with this structurally? I plan to bevel both sides of the bricks so they fit the opening and lock together with little mortar.
    I used the cardboard to get the opening size at top and bottom an get rough cuts on the bricks.
    Tracy
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Thanks for the tip on pairs, going to keep that in mind.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks
    It does take a lot of time, as we all know. I had that course in and sat down for a beverage, knowing that it wasn't as good as i wanted. Drank the beer and went back and removed two bricks, chunked one and recut another and reset the two and got the result i wanted. I set all that course in pairs. it really helped. i mortared the two together and then buttered the whole mess and worked them in together. That really helped on these higher courses.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Wow Tex,

I was reviewing your process for calc. these rows and went, holy #@$, but seeing the results I have to say holy #@%$, nice closing courses. Going to follow this close, I am a few courses behind you.

Leave a comment:

• flyfisherx
    replied

Looking really good! Your almost there!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

That looks really good Tracy! Nice work

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Course 11 is in. The IT arm is out. The caster that pivots at the base is so packed with mortar that it seized up and will not turn anymore. Note to other builders using a caster, wrap it in tape or something to keep it clean throughout your build. The clamp was in the way anyway.
    Didn't get a chance to clean 11 yet, but it is tight and turned out good. Still had to shave some of the bricks to get the best joint. There are no cookie cutter ovens, i don't think.
    I think i will need course 12 and a plug. Trying to do the math for that last course.
    My son had several friends over for fireworks and ordered about 6 Pizza hut pizzas. I hope the oven will pardon me from my indiscretion.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Going to be a great help, thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

I found mine at Lowes.

Leave a comment:

• cloita
    replied

Texman, thank you for the protractor tool!

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Good stuff Tracy. I figured the math out at about the same point in my dome...

I have been working on a spreadsheet that will give the calcs for a whole oven - number of courses, number of bricks per course, angle each course, angle of the side of each brick, width of the brick.

I just haven't found the time to finish it, but if I can I thought it might be something I can contribute back to the community. Just requires you to give the radius of the oven and the height of the soldiers, and figures everything else out.
    I was sitting here thinking " i could put that on a spreadsheet"
    JCG31 did the this chart which is great, but once you have a deviation from normal, you are off. I like calcing each course based on the one below. I did first two courses vertical and then began the dome curve. So i would have to calc each course.
    I am glad you get it, it started to sound like gobbly-gook as i was writing it. It is one of those "as simple as it can be, but no simpler things." This would have been great starting on the first course. What makes me feel stupid, is i did all this for the arch and even drew it out and made a pattern and proved it worked and then just forgot it all and started cutting bricks like i knew what i was doing for the dome. And then did that same thing for 10 courses.
    O well, i blame mine on the grief of starting over. Will anyone believe me?

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Good stuff Tracy. I figured the math out at about the same point in my dome...

I have been working on a spreadsheet that will give the calcs for a whole oven - number of courses, number of bricks per course, angle each course, angle of the side of each brick, width of the brick.

I just haven't found the time to finish it, but if I can I thought it might be something I can contribute back to the community. Just requires you to give the radius of the oven and the height of the soldiers, and figures everything else out.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

It is hard to put to words, but the results are great on the dry fits. It looks complicated, but really isn't. I did the calcs on my phone and wrote the numbers on the bricks. I will see if they still work with mortar. I have had to shave bricks on every course to get the joints i like, and even then, still not perfect at all. I am thinking of tapering the bottom of these last few courses to get really tight joints and make it pretty. not sure why, since that would result in all the calcs changing, but you have to leave room for mortar.
    All this from the guy in pic C.
    Would i Lie?
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

I am Finally learning to cut brick. On course # 11, maybe. Here are the steps that work for me:
    1. Do the math. Picj
    a. determine circumference of course for the bottom.
    Measure the diameter of the opening (Pi x diameter at bottom of brick previous course=circumference of level you are cutting) 11.5" x 3.141592=34.56"
    b. find # of bricks needed. (determines width of bottom of brick face)
    Divide the circumference by # of bricks (# determined by size of the top of the brick of row just below)2? here. Thanks Deejahoy! 34.56/2"=18 bricks
    c. Find the width of the bottom of brick at the outer edge.
    Measure the diameter of the course at the outer top edge of the oven. That is 15? in this example. Put a scrap with a 2" bottom width in the IT and place it where it would set in the course and measure the gap that will be your outer mortar joint. That is 3/4" here. So 15? ? 1.5 (two mortar thickness)=13.5 diameter. 13.5 x3.141592=42.42. 42.42/18 bricks = 2.36 (.36 x16=5.76) or 2 3/8? for bottom width at outside. So you have the bottom of the trapezoid brick, 2? at inside and 2 3/8? at outside.
    d. Find the width of the top of the brick face. Measure the distance from the top of the brick in the IT (from step c.) to the edge of course below. (face height plus mortar gap) 2.25? here. 11.5?- (2.25?x2)=7? diameter. 7 x 3.141592=22?/18 bricks=1.23 (I wrote 1.21in pic)
    e. now you have the face dimensions and the bottom dimensions. Mark the face dimensions and use the angle tool to find degree from top to bottom and use that angle for back of brick and find the width of the top of the back of brick.
    2. Cut your pattern brick and copy 17 times in this case.
    a. turn your pattern brick upside down and set on brick you are cutting and mark top dimensions. Turn the pattern brick and mark back of brick cuts.
    b. use the bevel tools (cut brick slivers) to get the vertical cuts to square. Check w/ square. Check angle cuts with square and align w/ blade. Repeat for both sides.
    c. if you are at a level when the bricks get small, you can get three and even four from a brick. I am getting 4 on course #11.

I am thinking it is time to get rid of the IT clamp and use a round board or something. I hopefully can get Two set with the IT clamp on and then remove the clamp and use a board mounted to the IT.
    See next post for more pics.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

thanks amac. I have been using your three bricks from one method. It works good after I get past the learning curve. If go smaller on the next course i think i can get four.

For these last two courses, should i continue to get smaller with the brick or increase the size? I think smaller because it will have tighter mortar joints. Larger, less brick to cut but more mortar on the bottom of brick to compensate for curve. Any thoughts?
    I am proud or the wfo. regrets on the bond in a few places, but i will take her as she is. On my last bag of mortar, so i should have enough for the outer arch and vent.
    A few more pics too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X