Texman Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texman Build

I don't think you need vcrete nor do I think it would work from a strength standpoint. But insulation is not really an issue at the front of the oven, especially given you have a heat break between your dome and vent landing.

What I am doing is pouring a concrete slab that butts up against my floor insulation and my landing bricks. I'll probably remove the bricks when I do the pour so that I can get a nice edge there, and them pop them back in - but I am using regular old concrete with some rebar for strength/crack inhibition.

I've thought about leaving room for a 1 1/4 inch piece of granite on top, but will probably go with a concrete finish given cost considerations.

On the rounded edge - I think it's probably a good thing in that you won't have as much visual weight to your landing. It kind of falls away underneath which will make it look better. You might even think about slanting the counter back toward the stand using a concrete form. Would look pretty cool if you had a 2-3" landing edge that slanted back toward your existing stand.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Deejay
      Thanks for the response. Not sure i get the slant. Are you talking about from the top of the slab and outward to landing or vice versa? rough pic
      Tracy
      Last edited by texman; 07-17-2012, 11:31 AM.
      Texman Kitchen
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

yeah - kind of like that - though I was thinking you might want a little deeper landing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	290430
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

"The outer arch and inner have a contact of maybe an 1/8". I left the run over the inside arch because it was mortared in during my first failed attempt and i didn't see any harm in leaving it there and didn't want to risk removal."

With emphasis on "risk removal" I sure can't blame you for that .

"As far as a decorative arch, is that required or just for appearance?"

My quick answer to that would be for appearance. I was thinking that you were still looking for Old Chicago brick to match your house. My long answer which may or may not have much merit is this: An air space or insulated space between a firebrick and a face brick may help with those sudden changes in temperature that occur. I won't argue that point it is just an opinion. Also, I was just thinking that anything you put between you and that outer arch might make it a little more comfortable for you on those Texas summer afternoons .

"My corner build is about out of room"

I saw that in the pics and knew that if you did include a decorative arch that you might have to bring support up from the floor.

When you get a little rest and some of that brick dust out of your gullet you will come up with something. It will be great.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I cleaned the crud out of the heat breaks. It is a complete heat break from the inner arch but some of the break is only 1/16" at the rear of the chimney and at the rear of the first brick in the outer arch. I used an old hacksaw blade the clean those contact areas and can get the blade through all of them. I know that the break is complete because the whole outer arch and chimney will move as one unit if pried on. i am thinking that the heat break is good? trying not to think and just rely in you guys.
            I have my 3/8" square braid ceramic gasket material. Good 'ole NW iron works is sending the Kawool by covered wagon i think.
            Trying to decide the finish of this thing so i can make final measurements and order that expensive triple-wall pipe, cut a hole in the ceiling and burn something. I finally cut the FB board off that was hanging out the front of the oven. I had a real mental block to cutting that, afraid i would regret it. But with it gone it makes it easier to visualize some options for finish. The old chicago brick looks really rough next to those pretty firebrick. I just set those there trying to get ideas. Looks like i need to use the grinder on that one brick in the outer arch that looks like a crooked tooth.
            I have seen many builds that round off the edges of the inner arch. The reason being to smooth the airflow at the top and because the corners get chipped from use. is that recommended to flatten the corner of the inner arch and what about the back of the outer arch/flue transition?
            I havn't cut a brick in three days, don't know what to do with myself.
            Thanks as always
            Texman Kitchen

Comment

If it were me, I would just carry your slab curve up to hearth level with concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                If it were me, I would just carry your slab curve up to hearth level with concrete.
                Tom
                I always liked your oven, maybe that's why i poured that curve. That is a good idea and i think would be fairly easy to do. Thanks!
                Tracy
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Can i lay a horizontal header without a lintel if it is not load bearing? My plan is to use soldiers across the opening tilted as shown in pic.
                  I am laying brick to veneer my base and am trying to span the wood storage opening. I could do a slight arch of maybe 2" w/o cutting the brick and more if needed.
                  Now for the latest mistake: use a form or guide for all masonry work. I laid the bricks in the pic and used a level to keep me vertical and horizontal. The 24" level is too long to fit the 23" opening. I didn't have the form in place to keep me straight on the interior edge. Sat down and looked at my work and saw that interior edge creeping together.
                  Then made the form and will GRIND my work to get the form in and hopefully save my work. When will i ever learn?
                  I will add one layer to chimney as shown and call that good i think. Just need to round out the flue opening to a smooth 7.5" to have some room.
                  Tracy
                  Texman Kitchen

Comment

You do not have enough buttressing for a jack arch to hold unless you use an angle iron under it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      You do not have enough buttressing for a jack arch to hold unless you use an angle iron under it.
                      I don't think it is possible to buttress here, is it? Is it possible to do an "eyebrow?" arch here or would you just use the angle iron and call it good. Would a straight soldier arch make any difference here? i think the segmental arch might work or does the lack of butressing prevent that too?
                      Thanks for you help!
                      Tracy
                      Last edited by texman; 07-23-2012, 08:48 AM.
                      Texman Kitchen

Comment

The jack arch would look good, so I would just use an angle.

Comment

Thanks
                          Took me about half-day and totally exhausted from the bending, kneeling, mixing mortar and cutting to lay those few bricks. New respect for all the "real" masons out there.
                          Tracy
                          edit: I think the larger mortar joints are more difficult. Lots of movement to manage and lots of mortar to manage. I am an Official member of the SBS "starving bricklayer society"
                          Last edited by texman; 07-23-2012, 09:04 AM.
                          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Hey Tex,

I am right there with ya as a member of the SBS...........
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Tracy,
                              I knew that you would come up with something. Corner builds are so cool . So many angles to break up the monotony, and to stamp that one of a kind build. Angles ain't easy but, they are a hell of a lot of fun.
                              Just an idea. How about forming and pouring a 3" X (what looks like to be a 8" or 9" reinforced concrete lintel ) over the vertical brick which face the sides of your brick storage. You can form and pour it separately on a bench then set it in place. Setting it to the back would leave 1" for a "Faux" arch, the design that you've shown, or in any other shape that that the lintel is formed.
                              Last edited by Gulf; 07-24-2012, 03:59 AM. Reason: spelling
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I have completed the brick veneer on the base of the oven. I ordered some triple wall, triple priced chimney pipe today. I have been out of town and had a break from the build and i am ready to get on with it.

I used old chicago brick to match the house on the base and a jack arch over the wood storage area. I used a piece of angle for the arch support. I had to build a support for the top course on the base of the oven for the bricks at the center of the opening, since there is nothing underneath those. I used thinset on the back of brick that contacts the top of the base and mortar between. Using two different mortars at the same time was a slight challenge, but turned out well i think. Those few brick have no load and seem really solid so far. I didn't clean the bricks as good as i should have and had to use acid to clean. Can't do it right the first time, but it always gets there.

I am planning for an enclosed oven and stucco finish with a granite landing. I have a 3/8' piece of solid stainless for my heat breaks combined with ceramic rope gasket and kaowool to seal it all from the outside. I will make a decorative arch from old chicago. Not sure why i spent so much time on my actual oven archs since they are about to disappear forever. I am proud of them anyway.
                                Tracy
                                better pic of the base
                                Last edited by texman; 08-07-2012, 07:54 AM. Reason: better picture
                                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X