First Timer's AZ Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Timer's AZ Build

OK, going to start a thread of my pizza oven build. Goal: to be complete by Thankgiving (hopefully I don't laugh at this looking back in a few months). I have attached pictures of the proposed site for my WFO. I will be doing roughly a 12' by 6' pad, as I want to have a little sink and counter on the side for prep. I am thinking a corner bulid, but haven't settled on it yet.

The first picture is a wider shot of my location, and the second is a closer view. I plan on having a 2' space between the back of the installation and the wall (not sure why, fairly arbitrary). I will be setting it up parallel to the wall.

Am I missing anything? Design shots coming soon.Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza oven 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	318238

Click image for larger version

Name:	pizza oven 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	318239

Re: First Timer's AZ Build

You better get going if you want to finish by Nov. Good luck and plan it out as best as you can.

Mike D

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      You better get going if you want to finish by Nov. Good luck and plan it out as best as you can.

Mike D
      And, don't forget those pictures.
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

I am interested to see yours go up. It seems like corner builds are in the minority and so I am interested to see your design. Let any of us AZ builders know if you have any questions on where we got our materials.
        Last edited by dtrbovich; 04-24-2012, 12:36 PM. Reason: Changed text

Comment

Welcome aboard.

I think you are right about the corner builds. I am on my second course of mu corner build. I have done a lot of planning and building to get to this point so hope i can help. keep the pics coming.

Tracy
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Ok, designing over placement and layout right now. See foundation dimensions and overall plan. I am likely going to add a CMU column in the center of my plan, but that shouldn't affect my foundation layout. Overall dimensions, and using 4" thick slab with no footers, and using this website (Concrete Calculator, Prices and Pouring Information - The Concrete Network), it looks like I will need 50 bags of 40# concrete for the slab...or about 0.5 yard of concrete.

Anything I am missing here? I added another course of CMU to give me 16" of extra space for placement in front, and planning on 5 courses of CMU to allow for my oven height to be higher (learning from C5dad's advice).

I'll worry about my enclosure design, etc later. But for now, I am hoping this will work for my 42" oven.

Comment

CMU - those are the 8x8x16 concrete blocks. Great point about the concrete mix. I don't know what's best...yet!

Comment

Phxdt

I have seen several plans where folks will use a wall in the middle. A pier would work as well. Thing is - just be sure to use rebar at the proper spacing - 6 inches or less for a longer span. My base is completely open and I did not remove the forms from underneath for 30 days to hit max strength.

As for the bag mix, I think I had my slab poured for me during the house construction and added 2 layers of mesh underneath (pad is 6" thick.) Depending where you live in the valley, footers are really not needed unless you have an issue with subsidence, and then you really do not want to live there. 60 pound bags of concrete run less than $3 at Lowes and Home Depot.

As a reminder - now that we are hitting the 100 mark, be sure to wet the ground thoroughly before pouring the cement to avoid the water getting sucked out and killing your strength!

CW
                Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Where are you getting the fire brick?

Comment

I haven't sourced it yet, actually. I am taking this one step at a time.

...and thanks for the extra tips, C5dad.

Comment

I put up the forms, and the concrete poured. Overall dimensions are 6' x 7'4". This should allow me some extra space in the front of my WFO for general prep/cooling/etc. I used #4 rebar and the wire mesh, just as prescribed in the PDF. Added the rebar for the columns with the extra from my cuts.

Going to have to put my bricks back together around it, but shouldn't be too difficult. Next step: concrete blocks!

Comment

Two things to consider, first is HOA regulations on Chimneys. I am also in AZ and HOA can be a bummer. The second thing is welcome to summer. Work early, keep hydrated for yourself and the bricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Phxdt View Post
                          I put up the forms, and the concrete poured. Overall dimensions are 6' x 7'4". This should allow me some extra space in the front of my WFO for general prep/cooling/etc. I used #4 rebar and the wire mesh, just as prescribed in the PDF. Added the rebar for the columns with the extra from my cuts.

Going to have to put my bricks back together around it, but shouldn't be too difficult. Next step: concrete blocks!
                          The first milestone is done
                          Lee B.
                          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Phxdt View Post
                            OK, going to start a thread of my pizza oven build. Goal: to be complete by Thankgiving (hopefully I don't laugh at this looking back in a few months).
                            It'll depend on how much time you spend each week on it. You're starting at a bad time for Phoenix. The summer heat dries out your mortar faster, and I found that I had to mix smaller batches or mix it wetter to make it work.

Marvel Masonry has firebrick, sand, and fireclay, in case you need a source.

Comment

Thanks for the tip about Marvel. I have been looking for something that will provide 1/2 size bricks- is that available?

I keep on talking to vets who spend waaay too much time cutting bricks in half. Why not save that time by having it done already?

...or am I asking for too much?

Comment

Working...
                              X