First Timer's AZ Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Timer's AZ Build

OK, so Saturdays will likely be days that I get a lot accomplished. I went over to Lowes to purchase the 8x8x16 block. I haven't taken the forms off of my concrete yet, but I have been told 12 hours is plenty in Phoenix.

I put a chalk line down 4" from the edges of my foundation, and started to place down my block to measure. Newbie note: 8x8x16 is actually 7.5x.7.5x15.5 (like everything else). So, I am off by 1.5" on all my chalk lines. Will need to do that over again. Anyways, here is a pic of what the courses look like. As side earlier, will be doing 5 courses high- don't want to have to hunch to look into the oven.

Asked a few people on this forum about the need for a center column, given that I have a pretty large gap. Both think it's not necessary. Great news.

Comment

The only 1/2 sized bricks I have found were at the Phoenix Brick yard (7th ave and 17) and they were 1/2 thickness. Just cut your own is the best advice as you will need some 1/3 and 1/4 cuts as well in the upper chains.

I know I can get yellow fire brick at HD down in Queen Creek and a few others in the east valley. Fire clay is available at Marvel, White Cap (sometimes) or Phoenix Brick Yard.

I know of some folks who have gathered enough fire clay from cutting bricks for their build. I had probably 2 - 5 gallon buckets of the stuff after cutting. However, you may need to screen it of larger chunks. I have old fire brick with aggregate, so decided against using the stuff.

As for mixing the home brew - I used the 1:1:1;3 method using my red solo cup - placed all material in a bucket and mixed well when dry and added aroudn1 and 3/4 parts water (red solo cup, I lift you up, its time to party... oh sorry.) that way I did not waste too much due to outside temps.

Last - don't forget to soak your bricks. Using the store boughts, AZAtty and the others will have a better idea on how long. My classics were dunked for a couple minutes to get rid of the air before mudding and stacking. I placed my bricks in the bucket mixed my mud and removed the bricks and stacked near the place of use. I then placed the next round of bricks in the water and started buttering the first batch and placing.

Keep it up and enjoy!
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

I have started the courses, will be pouring the concrete into the columns tomorrow AM. Not sure how picky I should be on being exactly level on every block, but did the best I could. Excited to have both the foundation and stand completed by the end of day tomorrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	3 courses.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	903.1 KB
ID:	289341

Comment

Your off to a good start!!!! I'm thinking about trying to build my WFO

Comment

Well, I didnt finish off my stand because of one very obvious flaw- no lentil to finish off the face of the stand. I looked into threads on this website that you forego the lentil and just reinforce the hearth with steel. I am sure it'll work, but this being my first build, I want to stick closer to plans.

I went by HD to pick up angle iron, but the best they have is 3/16" (PDF recommends 3/8 thick). I bought a couple of sticks anyways, thinking I could reinforce the blocks to shore up the difference.

This morning, I went to a local scrap yard in mesa (Phoenix, AZ: American Metals Co - Welcome), and found much better product, and cheaper. There is a scrap heap there where all the metal is $0.50/lb. Works out to roughly 50% off their normal stuff.

I found a beastly angle iron 6"x4"x 3/8" and 60" long. I paid $35 for it. Should be perfect, and will use just the one piece for the lentil. As a bonus, they have all the rebar you would need, at scrap prices. I'll be back when I do my hearth. Should be priced much better than retail.

Now my problem is finding a way to grind the blocks to fit the angle iron.

Comment

I found that you can grind the block by using a dry masonry saw on your 7 1/2 inch circular saw. Another way is to go to Harbor Freight and pick up an angle grinder (about 4 inch blade) pick up a pack of masory blades and metal grinding blades. They come in handy. While you are at it, they have one of those vibrating cutter multi-tools. I picked up the more expensive one because of the extra stuff. You will find that it is great for cleaning brick as well as getting rid of any high places on the floor of the oven.

I am in Mesa, by the way.

Comment

Any progress this weekend?

Comment

A little. Filled more of the cores with concrete. I am a little stuck because i need to go buy an angle grinder to accomodate the lentil I purchased. I did find that it took an entire 80lb bag of concrete to fill just one core (again, my stand is 5 courses, the typical is 4).

Traveling Wed-Fri this week, so not hopeful that I will accomplish much.

Comment

"Not sure how picky I should be on being exactly level on every block, but did the best I could"

You can take out any slight unevenness when you form up your suspended slab.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
                      "Not sure how picky I should be on being exactly level on every block, but did the best I could"

You can take out any slight unevenness when you form up your suspended slab.
                      And even if your slab isn't perfectly level, vermicrete/perlcrete or even sand and fireclay cover a multitude of imperfections.

You might want to consider slightly sloping the slab away from the center anyway to provide drainage for those upcoming monsoons.

And you're going to find than an angle grinder and a diamond blade are your best friends. I used mine a ton during the build. Get a good diamond blade--don't buy those cheap $2 masonry cutoff blades. I wore down a bunch before finally dropping the money on the diamond blade. Pretty bizarre that I spent thousands on materials (*shudder*), and got a case of the cheaps when it came to the grinder blade.
                      Last edited by azatty; 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Angle grinder. Ok, should have checked AZAtty's post before I went and bought a blade for the angle grinder. Here are some before and after pictures for $3.50 worth of blade from Ace Hardware. Won't make that mistake again.

Comment

Gudday
                          Did all my cuts with a $25 angle grinder and $50 diamond cutter.....still have the cutter but the angle grinder has died.... its internals spoilt by dust.
                          So Don't forget your mask! not a cheap one either

Regards Dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Everyone should have an angle grinder in their tool box. Amazing the uses you will find for it from grinding, polishing to cutting up rebar.

I would opt for a 5 inch grinder over the inexpensive 4 inch ones. They will use both the 5 inch disks and 4 inch disks and are generally much more robust.
                            Last edited by Neil2; 05-22-2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Ok, finally properly grinded the blocks. But now, I am considering how to set them into place (see pic below). The lentil isn't tied to anything, just set in place. My options:

1. Fill every other core with concrete, and know that the hearth with keep them in place

2. Drill a hole in the angle iron and run rebar through it. Fill coes with concrete.

3. Run a rebar through all four of the blocks by either drilling a hole through all, or creating a channel. Then filling all cores with concrete.

Each idea has its merits. Thoughts?

Comment

Also, how do you float brick over the face of the lentil (planning on covering all block with brick mocked up in bottom left of photo of previous post)? there is nothing for it to rest on. I am sure this is a common issue, but just realized this today.

Comment

Working...
                                X