First Timer's AZ Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Timer's AZ Build

Yup, that was me. However, they didn't have enough for me. I am never over in that part of the Valley, so I stopped in. I called today and asked for them to order more.

I am assuming you ordered the 5 boards. small world!

Comment

Yeah, I placed the order. I'm building a brick smoker next to the oven. It's hard to justify dragging out my trailer-mounted smoker unless I have a couple hundred people to feed. Since I learned to smoke meat in Texas, I'm too much of a snob to do it with an El Cheapo from the local big-boxes, and I want to try an insulated pit design.

Comment

@AZatty

I am planning on going over to Marjon this afternoon to pickup the fiber board. Want me to pick yours while I am there?

Comment

Working on the arch opening. Still waiting to make more progress on the dome. Nothing else to see here...

Comment

Spent 5 hours last night working on cutting my soldier course at 5/16 off (5 degrees), dry fitting, and then finally mortaring.

Man, that homebrew recipe is nasty stuff. I used gloves and still my hands feel dry the next day. I attempted to get the grout lines on the inside of my soldier course as small as possible, so I ended up with some gaps between the floor and the course bigger than I'd like. It's nice to see if finally going up. Likely will do one more course, and then complete the arch.

I am using the spreadsheet that deejayoh created. Props!

Comment

Been wondering this all day: Can't I use the 5 degree cuts that are left over from my solider course and use those as permanent shims? I see everyone using wood. Given that the next course needs to be at the same angle (5 degrees), seems like I could use it.

Thoughts?

Comment

Well. I finished the dome- so busy I didn't update the thread. My wife did the honors in placing the keystone. I learned the mortar is really hard to get off the bricks! Thinking about coming back with a 1/4 sander and taking that layer off.

Now to work on the vent...

Comment

Originally posted by Phxdt View Post
                  ... I learned the mortar is really hard to get off the bricks! Thinking about coming back with a 1/4 sander and taking that layer off....
                  I wouldn't worry about that now unles I could rig up some some type of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or a forced air sand blasters hood .
                  Be careful in that confined space with power tools, or chemicals for that matter .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Nice build congrats on finishing dome
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

First Fire back in December. Paper only.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        I wouldn't worry about that now unles I could rig up some some type of Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) or a forced air sand blasters hood .
                        Be careful in that confined space with power tools, or chemicals for that matter .
                        Gudday
                        Dito that . Rigged up a board same hieght as the floor. Industrial vacumn to suck the air out. Slid in on my back to discover that you can fit in the oven but.. Your body blocks all light and air!!!scared the crap outa me ...never been back in there!!!!!
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          Gudday
                          Dito that . Rigged up a board same hieght as the floor. Industrial vacumn to suck the air out. Slid in on my back to discover that you can fit in the oven but.. Your body blocks all light and air!!!scared the crap outa me ...never been back in there!!!!!
                          Regards dave
                          I reckon that comment needs to go in the threads about "what size oven should I build" ..... One big enough to crawl in and clean !,,,...

Sorry I couldn't resist but on a serious note it does become a "confined space" in some instances.....
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Currently working on the placement and layout design. Checking foundation dimensions and the overall plan. Considering adding a CMU column in the center, but it shouldn't impact the foundation layout.

The plan includes overall dimensions, using a 4" thick slab without footers. According to the Concrete Calculator from The Concrete Network website, it looks like I'll need 50 bags of 40# concrete for the slab, roughly 0.5 yards. I added another course of CMU for extra space in front and planning on 5 courses for a higher oven height. Still need to figure out the enclosure design, but hoping this setup works for my 42" oven."

Comment

4" base is on the light side for a 42" oven, these guys are really heavy. Unless you are tall, 5 courses is high by time you add hearth, insulation, brick floor. Rule of thumb for brick floor height is about elbow level +/-

I suggest you start your own build thread rather than post to an old thread.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Half height blocks are available and might be a good compromise.
                                Slab thickness can also be reduced by using a central pier or by cantilevering, but remember that a slab’s strength is proportional to the square of its thickness. This means a 2” thick reinforced slab is only 1/4 the strength of a 4” one.
                                Last edited by david s; 11-04-2023, 12:29 PM.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X