Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Looks good Russell! Can't wait to see the results. I am still waiting for my special order concrete to arrive. But I plan to do the same drill with the pigment and the kitchen scale...
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
      Not sure if you have the correct thread on a Beehive Oven.
      That's a spammer
      My build progress

Comment

Hi Russell
        Good luck - I was going to suggest that you draw a line with pencil or marker on the inside so that you keep the level consistent - but I guess that is what the tape is for. Another thing you might consider is to do in in two stages so that
        a)you can have another straight edge to use for screeding - but I guess you may be able to manage with some help and
        b) you can do a a smaller piece in less time.
        If you have some help these considerations won't be so critical.

You have some advantages over what I did by doing all this before isulating layers etc are added since you don't need to pay too much attention closer to the dome - and you might even have room for a mould edge in there since it will be covered later - but you would need to pull it out pretty quick before it cured.
        I think it will go well - looks good!
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Thanks DVM,

Hint where some latex or vinyl gloves when measuring the concrete dye. I am going to have green finger tips for a few days LOL. Yeah, I made that comment on the spammer hoping the moderator would remove the post.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Amac,
            I taped the front of the over for a couple reasons, one to try and keep the colored concrete splash off the brick the to mark the level. I did mark the whole perimeter of the pour with a red sharpie and also made a screed with a correct depth level pin on the open end. I am sloping the pour abt 1/4" to help with rain water drainage. I have plenty of help today, my step son and his friend are civil engineers in concrete, and I am a mechanical engineer............how may engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb???
            LOL, talk about over analyzing a pour! He works in a concrete lab so he is bringing me some SuperP which is a plastizer and maybe we will throw in some polypro fibers for fun.
            Russell

Comment

one to try and keep the colored concrete splash off the brick
              Yeah I shouldv'e done that - the dome was OK because it was the same color but I still got a bit of cleaning up to do on the arches.

I have plenty of help today, my step son and his friend are civil engineers in concrete, and I am a mechanical engineer..........how may engineers does it take to screw in a light bulb???.
              That many engineers almost amounts to cheating Russell .. I took the trouble to Google the answer to that one just in case you didn't .. and I'm sure you did. Here are a sample.
              A1: None. They are all too busy trying to design the perfect light bulb.

A2: Only the one with the instruction manual.

A3: One. But she would insist that the way she did it was distinctive.

A4: Three. One to hold the ladder, one to hold the light bulb, and the third to interpret the Japanese text.

A5: Five. One to design a nuclear-powered light bulb that never needs changing, one to figure out how to power the rest of the USA using that nuked light bulb, two to install it, and one to write the computer program that controls the wall switch.

A6: None. "According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."
              For those software engineers - the problem is more complex:

How many software engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

None. "It's a hardware problem"
              Just one. But it takes them all night. And when they're done, the washing machine doesn't work right.
              None. "We'll document it in the manual."
              Two. One always leaves in the middle of the project.
              Four. One to design the change, one to implement it, one to document it, and one to maintain it afterwards.
              Four, plus one senior analyst to manage the project, one technical writer to correct the spelling and grammar of the one who documented it, one light bulb librarian, a sales-force of at least five to drum up enough users who want to turn the light on, 274 users to burn out the new bulb, at which point we go to tender for another light bulb change...
              Five. Two to write the specification program, one to screw it in, and two to explain why the project was late.
              Only one, but she's not available till the year 2000.
              "The change is 90% complete."
              "It's hard to say. Each time we separate the bulb into its modules to do unit testing, it stops working."
              Of course, as everyone knows, just five years ago all it took was a bunch of kids in a garage in Palo Alto to change a light bulb.
              My favourite though is:
              How many Buddhists doe it take ..

A. Two - one to change it and one not to change it!
              Last edited by Amac; 09-22-2012, 09:51 AM.
              Amac
              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Not the best day in my build. Struggled to get the glass and concrete to play nice. Some areas of the counter I had a tough time getting the cream to come to the top and cover the glass. Finally got a rough finish on the concrete. Last thing I did was add a thin colored slurry to help enclose the glass with cream. We will see how it polishes out. This is how I do dry wall taping. I end up sanding 90% of the mud put on. The pros make it look easy.........
                Russell

Comment

Russell,
                  If you only get 1/10th of that glass to reveal and polish out at the surface, it will be imaculate . Have faith, it will turn out fine.
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

Thanks for the support. I think it will be fine too, just need to be patient for the concrete to cure enough to grind. off the top layer. BTW, I have set up a concrete counter thread and placing some links to builds for using concrete as a decorative accent. I am going to link your build as one for concrete craftsmanship on the hearth build. Give me a few days and it will be updated. Have time to kill now while curing takes place.
                    Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
                      DVM,

Using special concrete counter blend? Didn't you say you were going with Quikrete counter blend. I did not see it around here either.
                      I am quietly working on a grill surround and adjacent fireplace and waiting to see how all these poured counters work out before I commit to a plan
                      dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                      sigpic

Comment

Russell -

Looks pretty good to me. I am jealous that you're able to pour. I am still waiting for my "special delivery"

did you use a mixer, or blend in a wheelbarrow?

I think you can pull the forms in about 18 hours. Cheng and Buddy Rhodes videos were pretty consistent on that.
                        My build progress

Comment

Pulled the forms tonight and filed the sharp edge with a mill file, at least that is what Cheng does on his pours. Pretty decent pour one area a little porous where I had to make a made dash to Ace because I was short 1/2 a bag of concrete mix. In general, counters looks okay and thinking polishing with be the acid test. Maybe tomorrow but for sure Weds. Again using Cheng guildlines on unforming and polishing.
                          Russell

Comment

Russell -
                            Looks like the edges on your countertop came out really nicely. I like the color too. Good work.

I hear you on the rain. I'm just crossing my fingers I can get my pour done this week cuz it's coming. I live in seattle after all...
                            My build progress

Comment

I have read that Green and Blue are the most difficult colors to get right
                              My build progress

Comment

I am going to be buying the Pompeii 90 oven kit which is the 36" oven. I am doing a corner install. I was hoping you could tell me what my foundation measurements should be.

Comment

Working...
                                X