Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

You oven looks very cool. We jusat finished stucco on ours. BTW a thick pizza stone floor works great too ! Picked them up as seconds @ build a pizza oven, DIY Pizza oven designs, DIY pizza oven kits, wood ovens, review Pizza Stones, buy pizza grills, DIY pizza oven, how to make great pizzas, where to buy outdoor ovens, authentic pizzas oven, pizza oven reviews, brick ovens, pizza pl

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
      Chipster,
      Give me a shout when you come out. I'm a ski and snowboard instructor at Snowbird on the weekends. Been there over 20 years and still don't know all the secret stashes but know more than most.
      Sounds great we stay over in Park City but I love to ski "The Bird" it would be a real treat to ski with a local. Thanks for the offer. and I will give you a heads up when we come out. Because of my daughters wedding and things going on at my wife's work we may not make it out until near the first of the year.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Russell,

I think the extra flue pipe will work well and it does not look out of place to me it seems to balance well, I do hope it solves the problem with the smoke.

God luck for the winter season.
        https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Chipster,
          Give me a shout when you come out. I'm a ski and snowboard instructor at Snowbird on the weekends. Been there over 20 years and still don't know all the secret stashes but know more than most.
          Sounds like this is some special American tradition. In Australia when people "come out", they don't really celebrate it as a special occasion. Good luck to you.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Yes it is special to ski or snowboard at Snowbird, we average a min. of 500 inches of snow per year with a top elevation of 11,000 feet. We are known for our champange powder snow. So I extend the invitation to you too........
            Hey, don't give away one of the best kept secrets in world skiing. Oh I guess I just reinforced it.

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Yes it is special to ski or snowboard at Snowbird, we average a min. of 500 inches of snow per year with a top elevation of 11,000 feet. We are known for our champange powder snow. So I extend the invitation to you too........

Wow, we went to Japan to ski last Christmas. Townsville in the tropics at Christmas time is murderously hot and humid.It was the first time I'd experienced really good powder, snow so dry that you can't make a decent snowball. Had only skied Australia and New Zealand prior, the snow is Japan was incomparable. You are making me daydream again.

Comment

Dug out a few pics.

Comment

Able to achieve a full dome clearing last night and the etch sun plugged popped out. We made about 20 pizza and only one calzone by accident this time. I have to remind the guest that less is best on the pizzas, they seem to pile it on. Everyone to busy stuffing there face and no pictures of the food taken . Good sign I guess. Going to seal the concrete today it warms up enough, only about mid 40s right now.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell - Don't talk too much about the 'bird. I usually make it out to Utah at least once a season. You may find me knocking on your door as well...
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yeah - Cascade concrete. Sierra cement is a California product. But the snow can be pretty good if you catch the storms right. Mt Baker is pretty famous for epic snow dumps
                      My build progress

Comment

DJ, Looked at your profile, snowboarder huh, my weapon of choice. When I first started teaching at SB snowboarding did not exist so I taught skiing only, but almost teach 100% snowboarding now with a lesson or two in skiing to keep me current. Mostly a free rider, not into parks, that is for the bendable and young...............
                        I am not able to stand well on a snowboard but found a Burton 145 woody that I sold to the president of skull candy last fall, I understand he lives over near Olympic park just outside Park City. Interesting board with a steel fin and swallow tail.

Chip
                        Last edited by mrchipster; 10-14-2012, 06:22 PM.
                        Chip

Comment

I'm the same. Too old and fragile for parks. I do like me some sidecountry/backcountry. I bought a splitter a few years ago but haven't used it that much.
                          My build progress

Comment

Hey Russell
                            Been starting to look at plans and I like your corner build a lot. I may do a fireplace on the same slab, facing my hot tub. I'm in Boulder, CO so we have similar climates. What sort of finish are you thinking about?

Also, I was wondering if you may have been able to skip cutting your floor and insulation layer to the floor shape and just built on top of it and then poured your counter up against the dome and gotten a similar result with much less cutting?

Comment

Hi CNE,

Thanks for the compliment. I am doing an unenclosed igloo hence the floor on the inside. If I were doing an enclosure I would of just layed on the hearth firebrick uncut. As far as the finish, I was orginally going to stucco but if I can swing it going to put copper shingles on. Just have to see how the budget holds out. My concrete counters were only 2" thick. I have 2" FoamGlas and 1 1/2" of CaSi topped with a 3" fire brick floor. So a little too thick for a counter. I wanted the counter below the firebrick due to the expansion of the brick during the heating cycle might cause the counter to crack. Anyway, good luck with your build and send pics.
                              Russell
                              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                                Hi CNE,

Thanks for the compliment. I am doing an unenclosed igloo hence the floor on the inside. If I were doing an enclosure I would of just layed on the hearth firebrick uncut. As far as the finish, I was originally going to stucco but if I can swing it going to put copper shingles on. Just have to see how the budget holds out. My concrete counters were only 2" thick. I have 2" FoamGlas and 1 1/2" of CaSi topped with a 3" fire brick floor. So a little too thick for a counter. I wanted the counter below the firebrick due to the expansion of the brick during the heating cycle might cause the counter to crack. Anyway, good luck with your build and send pics.
                                I have also wanted to do unenclosed (My wife doesn't want me building a huge monstronsity). How do you feel stucco will hold up on top in your environment? My gut has been telling me that our 300+ days of sunshine will be no problem for it, but it doesn't appear recommended anywhere I read. I've been sort of planning a large stand to accommodate an enclosure later if that were a problem....

Considering getting started now and doing the tented setup thru winter like the Copper Roof guy did in Chicago.

BTW, I am in SLC about every two weeks on business and have a partial ownership townhome in PC.

Comment

Working...
                                X