Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

cne,

Les from Carson City, NV did an igloo and here is his take on the stucco he used for snow conditions.

Not all stucco is alike. I used a product made by Dryvit - It has an acrylic base so it is flexible and water proof. Definitely worth the dollars and you can have it colored to whatever you want

Working through the winter.....wow, that is dedication. If you ever want to come see my build send me a PM and we can try and hook up.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Looking great Russell! I've been cooking everything I can think of since I finished the dome in early Sept. I just got my metal studs in and time to build tomorrow in the 70 degree November weekend... Still undecided on the finish, time for research on what holds up in a Chicago winter. I like your copper shingle idea since it will be much less weight than finishing the entire thing in stone, so that has been added to the list. Tent plus double tarp until I decide!!!
      - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Welcome Home! I've been reading your posts for months and appreciating your many insights. But I just now visited your Picassa web page to see your full album (thanks for sharing). I'll be visiting again and may seek your advice as well (if that's ok) as I am also planning to build cement counter tops.

I wish I had researched the inner arch to dome transition a bit more before I dove right in. I would have followed your lead had i known better. Oh well, as the saying goes "all's well that ends well" .... I am enjoying pizza now (and chicken and ribs and bread etc.). I lost over 10 lbs during the build but I've put it all back on now that I am "reaping the rewards of my effort".

I also wanted to compliment you on the artwork on your keystone/plug. Very nice. I also chose this as a "discrete" location to "leave my mark" (after much pressure by friends and coworkers who thought I should have some kind of plaque installed) - as if the oven itself was not enough.

Again, welcome home and I look forward to seeing how you finish her off next year.

Regards,
        AT

Comment

After visiting Japan and seeing many shrines with copper roofing and cladding and also seeing the finished product of Larry K from Chicago (see his finished dome below). I found some 3' x 8' 16 oz 110 copper at a freight damage store. So I bit the bullet and picked up 5 sheet which is my Xmas present to myself. It set me back 8 Ben Franklins but it could of been much worse if I had to go retail. I am going to pattern, basically steal Larry's design for my dome with a few accents of my own. I have all winter to design.

Russell

Comment

I can not wait to see that masterpiece, You know that kind of investment will keep you out to the cheap oven club.

BTW I will be in Park City Dec 8 - 15 for a ski class at PC Mountain, I do not think I will have a car this time but if I get one I would like to swing by and take a look. You are in Little Cottonwood Right???

Chip
            Chip

Comment

Hey Utah!
              Another fine idea for your oven i see!

Blimey, we could never do anything like that over here in UK, the bloomin pikeys would strip that lot off in a flash and have it down the scrap metal mechants!

Looking forward to your design. Keep warm dude!

Comment

Whats a pikey??

Comment

Its a term we use for those elements of our society who believe they have a god given right to everone elses property for their own profit.

Comment

Be careful, you might hurt the innocent or end up in jail.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
                      Hey Chipster,

I work at Snowbird as an instructor on weekends but I live in an area called the Avenues which is by the Capital. Give me a shout if you get a car.
                      Check your PM's, I will be in town would love to drop by.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Just when I get the urge to cook pizza it snows again. Just have get with it and clear the snow off and fire this baby up. I see all the great dishes and bread that the forum members are creating and it makes me drool like paslov's dogs
                        Russell

Comment

Wow! I see that you actually have weather where you live. You probably already thought of this, but just in case you haven't I picked up a great trip on the forums. On the third day after your pizza when the ovens about 250 put 4 to 5 logs in to dry out for the next fire.
                          dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi Russell

I have noticed you have finished your oven surrounds with polished concrete.

I have a question, i have included some photos to give you an idea of what i am trying to achieve. Once i finish the dome i am looking at a polished granite landing and what i want to do with the oven exterior is to finish it with render that looks like the granite in the photos. I'm not sure how to achieve this I was thinking on the last decorative render coat possibly 5-10mm thick, to include some 5-7mm granite fines i can get over here [in aus], mixing it in with the render and then using a diamond cup wheel to grind it back. I'm not necessarily looking for a polished finish but just similar to the bowl, lantern and some natural rocks i have in the garden. I believe i would need to use a white render with a little grey mixed in to achieve the light grey tone. This will keep the overall theme continuous throughout.

Any suggestions?, will this work?

Cheers Colin
                            Build "new build in Werribee"
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-26-2013, 02:30 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Colin,

I am not sure, I work with a solid concrete surface with glass inlay to polish. I don't think a rendering coat can handle a wet polish process or dry grinding. This is above my pay grade. But that being said, the examples you sent have a more rustic texture and this may be achievable with a render coat "without" any polishing/grinding. Maybe try a test piece and experiment before you go whole hog. Sorry I am not much help here.
                              Russell

Comment

I just checked the link to your build in progress.
                                The artisan level of quality, attention to detail and skill of execution is phenomenal. Beauty and functionality combined! Wow!

A copper dome cover is another challenge in itself! Really looking forward to seeing progress photos and how you resolve fastening, and transitions.

Not so many new constructions with copper here. XXX Expensive, plus easily damaged by acid rain. Temples, Heritage sites, and wealthy farmers are some of the few who can still afford them. The copper develops a beautiful patina in about a year.

I asked a 'bankin-ya-san", tradesman skilled in sheetmetals about copper roofs-
                                He said that even using thicker materials does not help with the corrosion issues, thicker adds cost, weight, difficulty in fabrication AND tends to crack more easily with tight bends! Light weight roofs now designed for longivity are using "colored stainless steel". I do not know how the copper shingles are fastened (special copper clips?); (elongated nail holes?) but attention must be paid to non-reactive metals and thermal expansion.

Your build is a shining example of dedication and quality !!!
                                Congratulations of the highest level are in order!!

Comment

Working...
                                X