Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Snow got me this week and weekend too! I'm out of town for work first week of April, then on vacation mid-april. Plans to finish before May are looking impossible now. Good luck, Russell
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

You guys should move to california, its 74 right now, the birds are chirping and all is well........
      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

I was able to work on the oven today....finally mother nature took pity on me. Took off all the blue tarps and did an inspection. Other than the polished concrete counter freezing damage everything is where I left off.

I added my first layer of ceramic fiber on the dome. I had found a surplus roll of 4'x25'x 1.5" Firewrap XL which is Superwool with a ripstop foil cover in one of my junking expeditions. Started to lay with foil on but ended up cutting it off. But the second layer I think I will approach it differently and install with foil and maybe a cleaner and less itching process. After is 3-4" of 5:1 V-crete, 1/2" of stucco then the copper shingles like Larry of Chicago did. Using 5:1 and V-crete and stucco as support base since I am fastening copper shingles with SS screws.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You must be chomping to get that stucco on there. Looking forward to seeing those shingles too. I am hoping to get some time on my build this weekend..it's not looking good.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Able to 95% of the second layer of CF installed. With a little patience and creative cutting, I was able to install with foil covering intact. Next is prepping for V-crete installations.
            Russell

Comment

I like the foil part, so you insulation wont suck up the water from the vcrete, but ive heard foil is a bad idea?
              Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

some builders use foil. i tried it once, wish I hadn't and will never use it again. do a search on the forum on foil.
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
                  I'll have to see what happens. I removed the foil on the first layer were the heat will be the greatest.
                  I did not use foil on my oven. I was shied away from that early in my planning. I have read on this forum where it would entrap moisture and or degrade in time due to a reaction with the masonry.
                  A vent at the apex (even if it is only used for the curing process) would help during the curing process and/or if it degrades over time.

Just sayin'
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

probably a complete newbie question, but what holds on the CF? How is it attached to your dome (appears to be wire, all the way around the front. Is that temporary, until you put the next coat over the CF?

Comment

The foil will trap moisture under it and make it really difficult to remove. As you have already put it on I suggest you get a piece of wood and hammer in a few nails in the end of it so they protrude a little, then slap the thing silly so there are lots and lots of holes that moisture can find its way through.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I used baling wire to hold the CF down. I drilled in Tapcons at strategic points to fasten the wire to. I would run the wire long so I could undo and adjust each blanket position as I move around. Take note on what the forum guys are talking about on the foil and moisture. You have the 3M version of this product. very easy to take the utility knife out to remove the foil covering. It is just a @#$ to work with with open fibers, use the appropriate safety gear.
                        Russell

Comment

I anxiously await the copper shingles you are doing...to see your fabrication/installation methods. I went to trade school for HVAC, but primarily we were tin knockers. We did some pretty fun side projects, including pontoons for a river boat race.
                          I enjoyed it, but never got into it once I got out of school...went right into heavy construction/equipment operating, then on to masonry.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Russell

I would take the safe and sage advice and lose the foil. Your oven is such a gem, why risk a problem? That foil should come off easy and you can sleep without worry.

Tracy
                            Texman Kitchen
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Stonecutter,

I really admire your masonary stone skill, that dry stack base of yours is a prime example of high quality skill. I hope I don't muck up the copper shingles too much at $4.00 a lb and I am using 16 oz copper so each shingle is cost $4.
                              Russell

Comment

Thanks, I wish I could get more time on the project so I can start using it. I think if I was doing a copper finish like yours I would get some aluminum coil and practice with that until I worked out all the nuances of cutting,bending and fitting...I'm sure you will have to tweek several pieces as you go...just a thought.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X