Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Glad to see you have the weather with you and can start. Looking at the texture of your pericrete, to me it looks a bit dry. I add enough water just to the point when you squeeze it, no water comes out. You should be able to form it into a ball by squeezing and it should retain its shape. Right now, it probably feels really crumbly to you. A sample I made and put into a plastic bag later was also crumbly when the cement set, but the wetter stuff when squeezed into a ball formed a hard ball when set.

That is just my observation on a "one-time build", others may have some other ideas. Your oven will take on a whole new appearance with this newest covering!

Comment

Thanks for the info, will try your idea. One batch, seems a little crumbly the other side had a little more water and seems to set better. I'm going to let sit overnight and see what happens.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Nice start, i like the shaping tool.

i plan on visiting sometime soon I should be out to SLC sometime early summer and will give you a heads up should it fit into your schedule.

Was hoping for some spring skiing but went to Palm Springs to get some sun instead.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
          Lookin' good Utah!!!
          Double what he said .

And the "maters" are coming along great!!
          Last edited by Gulf; 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Made some headway on the Pcrete. Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Made some headway on the Pcrete. Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
              That's because the most of the vertical is done! Every layer now is going more horizontal . It gets a "helluvalot" easier from here. Great job!
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
                Think how much easier it will be next time.... wait never mind - don't think of that.
                dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                sigpic

Comment

Lookin great--it's a keeper!

Comment

that build is looking great.

Have you had much shrinkage on the prericrete? What was the final thickness you went for?

I am having trouble finding the ceramic blankets and I am thinking about just using vermiculite, which is readily available around here.

Oh, how much will you end up using?

Comment

Thanks guys,

Fabby, I have not seen any shrinkage as of yet, using a 5:1 mix because I already have CF underneath and I want a more solid base to render to since I am cladding my dome with copper and screwing the shingle to the dome. Average thickness is 2-3", you may have to double your vcrete thickness to get an equivalent insulation value of a CF blanket. If the mamma does not get her way with the dome, you could just pour the vermiculite (w/o portland) right over your dome in the enclosure. I am into my 3rd 4 cu ft bag, bought 4 but don't think I will need it. Running about 9-10 bucks a bag at a concrete block supplier.
                      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM.
                      Russell

Comment

Finished percrete today, going to let it set for a week or so to dry out before I render. All said and done the curved trowel was the key tool to keeping the shape. Ended up using 3.5 - 4 cu ft bags roughly 2-3" thick 5:1 ratio. Used a beer bottle as a blockout for the vent in the apex of the dome.
                        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM.
                        Russell

Comment

Glad to see you drank the beer first
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Excellent work on the pecrete!
                            And a great choice for keeping with what I think will become an "industry standard size" vent opening .

Comment

Just got back from Cabo for a little R and R. Good part the perlcrete on the oven could sit and dry for a week. The bad part, what do they say about drinking the water , so the party I planned for tomorrow is off until the SWMBO and I recover.

But a WFO in any language is a WFO. Here is one in a small village called Pescadero. They were cooking pies in about 4-5 minutes and chicken in a skillet at the same time.
                              Russell

Comment

Hey! I was just down in Todos Santos for 3 weeks. Where were you staying?
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X