Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Mikku,

Thanks for the kind compliments. My work on the outside of my oven is at a standstill since I have about 2 feet of snow in my yard. I took many pictures of the copper details on the temples while in Japan to give me ideas on doing my dome. I am planning of placing 3" of ceramic fiber insulation with 2" of vcrete covered with 1/2"-1" stucco then the copper cladding. I have bought all the copper sheets and just waiting for the weather to break. I am will be using stainless steel screws to fasten the singles down, they are suppose to be non reactive with copper. I will be watching your build with interest too.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

A very, very long time ago, I saw an article in "fine homebuilding" about someone making their own copper shingles. It interested me then-but have not had a subscription to that magazine for ages. It was not for a standing seam application but an interlocking style. For your application, some real short sheetmetal brake (with thin jaws) would work very well. But you need to create
      180 deg bends-all edges, bottom folded under, top folder over, right or left--same as top to bottom depending how you are making your run.. I think? Maybe the same "trapezium dome" pattern could be used or modified to create your shingles? Just a thought- but should be beautiful once completed!

The sheetmetal guys here have specialty hand tools for making jobsite bends- but the jaw ranges in width from 30mm upward. (all hand forged). You could do a longer bend in sections--slowly. But some type of a brake, even hand built would really save time. Important point is a jaw that can rotate past 90 to 135 deg or more, then an ability to take it out and finish the bend to go to 180 minus!

Maybe you had some other thoughts? Would be interested in how you approach this challenge!

Comment

I am copying Larry's, from Chicago, copper pattern. The shingles will be hand made diamond shaped with interlocking seams, two up and two down bends. I have a access to a 48" brake and I also have a 12" hand brake and small seamers so I think I have most tools to complete, will see. I can always tell the SWMBO that I need to buy another tool for the WFO build. She has been really good to let me build up my man cave with tools I might not otherwise have. What is the saying "who ever dies with the most tools win....." Bad part is she gets a equivalent amount to use at the mall
        Russell

Comment

Could you give link to copper roof build guy?

The photo shows a real important detail, the base flashing!
          Once you get your insulation in place, maybe very similar situation.
          I am sure you will have special cases where the copper meets to decorative arch that must be addressed. It looks like a difficult challenge in getting weatherproof joints!

Will you have to make solder joints for your chimney penetration/flashing detail?

The finished product should look just great --from your previous work, you surely are up to the challenge!

Have you ever thought about an exterior structure to enclose your outdoor spaces, at least protection from rain or snow elements? If you had one now, you could be "literally" "TINKERING" your time away--on your oven!

keep building!

Comment

Mikku,

Sorry for the delayed response, missed it for some reason.

Here a the link to Larry's copper dome build.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oof-18375.html

I have been looking at some type of overhead cover but not there yet.
            Russell

Comment

Able to get a quick peek on how the oven survived the Utah winters. Still have a foot of snow on the lawn but the concrete counters are clear. Much to my dismay, the winter took it's toll, there is some freezing spalling on the counters. Now I need to rethink some type of covering over the WFO. Ugghh.
              Russell

Comment

Wow! Sorry to see that, it is really quite crazy. I guess I am probably quite lucky not to have the extremes of temperature you've got there in Utah. But I'd take the powder as a compromise...
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That is an entire issue on its own. Judging from your skills, anything is possible...you have to choose something that will reflect your personality and fit into your surroundings.

I made the decision to go igloo and as simple as possible to get it operational.
                  I believe these WFO's must be protected from the elements--so my creative juices can be spent on the enclosure.. Another hurdle to cross in the future!

From my short amount of time playing with the render, I think that you will be able to fasten your copper to the render coat using plastic inserts and screws--easy enough... But the shell the architect in Chicago uses probably isolates the copper from the cement...maybe a corrosive agent.

Sorry to hear about your counters--they were sure looking great!

Comment

Russell,
                    I hate to see that damage to your counters. Did you use any fortifiers during, and sealants after your pour? If so what brands? Like DJ, I am glad that I am not subjected to the extremes of your weather. But, I am all about any covering that doesn't take away the profile of an igloo. I hope you come up with a fix for that pretty counter.
                    Last edited by Gulf; 02-17-2013, 07:04 PM.
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

What a bummer man, it seems like the glass and cement bonding has failed.
                      Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                        Able to get a quick peek on how the oven survived the Utah winters. Still have a foot of snow on the lawn but the concrete counters are clear. Much to my dismay, the winter took it's toll, there is some freezing spalling on the counters. Now I need to rethink some type of covering over the WFO. Ugghh.
                        That does suck. We are limited in what we can do in this environment. I had a friend across town that poured his counters. He assured me all would be good. Same thing happened within one year. I went with porcelain and still had a tile crack. Mother nature can be brutal...
                        Check out my pictures here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Russ -
                          did you get sealant on the counters before the winter? Wondering if the water got through that as well
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yeah Guys a bummer,

The only additive I used in the counter pour was Super P, a plasticizer. The bug holes were filled with a Quikcrete acrylic bonding agent, portland and colorant. After I polished I put on three or four coats of a food safe lithium counter sealer maked specifically for outdoor counters (SURE!). Gulf, I am of the same opinion of having the igloo visible, especially since I spent all that moola of copper sheets for the dome cladding. I'll figure something else minimize the freezing and water issue, bottom line I can't control mother nature. Thanks guys.
                            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                              Yeah Guys a bummer,

The only additive I used in the counter pour was Super P, a plasticizer. The bug holes were filled with a Quikcrete acrylic bonding agent, portland and colorant. After I polished I put on three or four coats of a food safe lithium counter sealer maked specifically for outdoor counters (SURE!). Gulf, I am of the same opinion of having the igloo visible, especially since I spent all that moola of copper sheets for the dome cladding. I'll figure something else minimize the freezing and water issue, bottom line I can't control mother nature. Thanks guys.
                              Russell,
                              You would have thought that the waterproofing was covered . There may be no specs for the temps you guys endure. My oven and the landing is covered. I guess that I will have to cover any and all counters in the future outdoor kitchen.
                              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Another thought, you could use the copper sheets on the roof of a real nice enclosure. Something like you saw on temples over here! A lot of times, copper is used as an accent on perimeters with the main being tile. The tile comes in modules that give a specific width of a finished roof--The copper allows for non-modular builds! It is also a very attractive mix of materials!

Even with a very difficult clad complete on the oven dome, you will face the same spalding problem on the counter unless it is all covered! Maybe you can tackle alot of future problems with following that course? Has anyone heard from Chicago about any spalding problems? Mortar and stone are also subject to freeze thaw cycle!

An enclosure would allow you to enjoy your hobby year around!

Comment

Working...
                                X