X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Nice! We were in a house just north of TS. Went to Cerritos for a day. Fun place.

I used stone/tile adhesive from Home Despot for my stone veneer. Seems to be holding up just fine.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

The green apple quick step is never fun. Nice work with that insulation layer!
    Last edited by stonecutter; 05-14-2013, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Hey! I was just down in Todos Santos for 3 weeks. Where were you staying?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Just got back from Cabo for a little R and R. Good part the perlcrete on the oven could sit and dry for a week. The bad part, what do they say about drinking the water , so the party I planned for tomorrow is off until the SWMBO and I recover.

But a WFO in any language is a WFO. Here is one in a small village called Pescadero. They were cooking pies in about 4-5 minutes and chicken in a skillet at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Excellent work on the pecrete!
    And a great choice for keeping with what I think will become an "industry standard size" vent opening .

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Glad to see you drank the beer first

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Finished percrete today, going to let it set for a week or so to dry out before I render. All said and done the curved trowel was the key tool to keeping the shape. Ended up using 3.5 - 4 cu ft bags roughly 2-3" thick 5:1 ratio. Used a beer bottle as a blockout for the vent in the apex of the dome.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Thanks guys,

Fabby, I have not seen any shrinkage as of yet, using a 5:1 mix because I already have CF underneath and I want a more solid base to render to since I am cladding my dome with copper and screwing the shingle to the dome. Average thickness is 2-3", you may have to double your vcrete thickness to get an equivalent insulation value of a CF blanket. If the mamma does not get her way with the dome, you could just pour the vermiculite (w/o portland) right over your dome in the enclosure. I am into my 3rd 4 cu ft bag, bought 4 but don't think I will need it. Running about 9-10 bucks a bag at a concrete block supplier.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fabby
    replied

that build is looking great.

Have you had much shrinkage on the prericrete? What was the final thickness you went for?

I am having trouble finding the ceramic blankets and I am thinking about just using vermiculite, which is readily available around here.

Oh, how much will you end up using?

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Lookin great--it's a keeper!

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
    Think how much easier it will be next time.... wait never mind - don't think of that.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Made some headway on the Pcrete. Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.
    That's because the most of the vertical is done! Every layer now is going more horizontal . It gets a "helluvalot" easier from here. Great job!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Made some headway on the Pcrete. Just as I am getting the hang of forming Pcrete I am getting close to being done.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Bookemdanno View Post
    Lookin' good Utah!!!
    Double what he said .

And the "maters" are coming along great!!
    Last edited by Gulf; 04-26-2013, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Nice start, i like the shaping tool.

i plan on visiting sometime soon I should be out to SLC sometime early summer and will give you a heads up should it fit into your schedule.

Was hoping for some spring skiing but went to Palm Springs to get some sun instead.

Chip

Leave a comment:

Working...
X