Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Thanks Russell! That would be awesome! I think I'm going to try and route a cove kerf in between the arches that would hold the rope. I've used a regular router bit on stone before (I was desperate!!) and it actually worked. Wouldn't exactly use that bit again but for the 40" or so I needed to route I think it'll work..

If you like the color on the tops I can send you some of the colorant I used. I bought 5 lbs of it and after doing the conversions to bags of concrete I don't think I even used 1 lb. If I remember right it was something like 3 lbs to a cubic yard. I used a HF (love that place BTW) scale to measure it out per bag and put it in ziplocs..

Thanks again and if need some $$ let me know!

Comment

Thanks again Russell! I have lived in Cbad for 10 years on Halloween, San Diego County going on 35 yrs...I have probably eaten at every restaurant in town too! Which one? We could REALLY use a good wood fired pizza joint. We have Sammy's (a chain) which is pretty good, but still chainy...

Comment

Finished cutting the brick cap for the chimney and slotted out the bottom for the anchor plate. Installed 1/4" x 2" RedHeads for the plate mount and I have a tube of refractory caulking that I will put under the plate then the brick capon top. Heading for some R and R for a week then serious curing starts. Everyone have a nice holiday weekend and wishing the best for our WFOs affected by Issac.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

looks very clean man, keep it up. see you at the finish line!!!
          - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Hello Russell
            I hope you had some good relax time - I bet you were thinking about your oven.

I am planning a poured counter top as well as a poured bench and a poured hearth on the adjacent fireplace. I found the following post by Neil2 that looked very helpful: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/in...tml#post133491Prior to reading this I thought it would be best to let the pour cure for a full 28 days before starting to work on it - Not so if you want to expose aggregate per this info. Did I see that you intend to put some glass in the pour for interest? Will you simply drop this in after the first screed?
            Looking forward to following you on this one.
            dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
            sigpic

Comment

Actually, you want to start grinding as soon as you can without pulling aggregate out of the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                Actually, you want to start grinding as soon as you can without pulling aggregate out of the surface.
                Which I read (no experience) is about 3 days after the pour.
                dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                sigpic

Comment

It depends upon the aggregate, for a soft one like limestone you can grind the next day, for harder (normal) ones 3-4 days.

Comment

Hi WFOs,

Back from a cruise from Alaska's inner passage. Have to say the pizza on the cruise ship is nothing to write home about but the food was good and the sights breath taking.

Did alot of loose ends today, set the anchor plate with high temp sealant, mortared in the chimney cap and set the thermocouples in. Still doing the halogen light curing but moving to sterno tomorrow then charcoal after that. See alot of the builds have made some great headway while I was on R and R so I have some catching up to do. Going to start forming for the polished concrete counter this week.
                    Russell

Comment

Looks great, cant get over how nice your arch looks, wow!
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...s-i-18098.html

Comment

R -
                        I say skip the sterno unless you already have it laying around. It doesn't put off enough heat for the price of it.
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Also...

On the countertops, what are you using for the concrete mix? I have been reading up on this a bit - and my current plan is to use Quikcrete 5000, with an extra shovelful of portland added for each bag, along with some plasticizer/water reducer. This seems to be what the "pros" do - and is the equivalent of the countertop blends.

I also ordered some fiberglass mesh, fibers, and pigment from directcolors.com that I will be adding to the mix/using instead of rebar. This also seems to be the commercial approach.

There is a concrete countertop installer forum that I came across (can't remember URL) that had a load of good info on what the state of the art is. the countertop equivalent of Forno Bravo. I will post if I recall

Would love to hear the details of your plans, you are always on top of this sort of thing. I hope to be pouring my countertops next weekend! I got the last under-cabinet work done yesterday (building out a storage space).
                          My build progress
                          My WFO Journal on Facebook
                          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

dee,
                            Started to use leftover sterno, not enough heat (140f). Halogen gave of more heat so switched to charcoal running a consistent 250f. Will leave for today. Going to use quikrete 5000 with plasticizer additive. Been cutting melamine today to form up while curing. Saving blue bud light bottles as well as green and brown beer and wine bottles. Still a few weeks out before pour so your are ahead of me.
                            Russell

Comment

Don't post the link, they do not like that here (rightfully so). Just search for concrete counter top forum and it will come up. That is a professional board, though, and they don't usually answer DIY questions. Tons of good info on there though, and I am a member so ask it here if you have a particular one and I will ask it there if I can't answer it.

I am not a countertop guy, FYI, just a concrete type guy.

Comment

Just another night of curing but getting up there in temp. mid 500f.
                                Russell

Comment

Working...
                                X