• Show
Clear All

• Re: K79 Oven Build

Ok, how does this look ??

Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

I would taper all bricks. It seems to me that any brick that does not have a taper could become loose when any mortar falls out. Where can the mortar go when the taper keeps it from falling out, like your keystone? The flipped bricks will want to fall out as soon as any mortar becomes loose as with any straight bricks ........Just my opinion.
      Last edited by kbartman; 05-08-2013, 08:03 AM. Reason: added straight bricks
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
        I would taper all bricks. It seems to me that any brick that does not have a taper could become loose when any mortar falls out. Where can the mortar go when the taper keeps it from falling out, like your keystone? The flipped bricks will want to fall out as soon as any mortar becomes loose as with any straight bricks ........Just my opinion.
        your right. back to the drawing board.

Comment

Looking good! I am about one month behind you and I plan to shamelessly steal some of your ideas! Your photos are great! This weekend I will lay my insulation board and floor bricks. Did you make a decision yet on the thermal break? Will you have one?

My build is here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
            Looking good! I am about one month behind you and I plan to shamelessly steal some of your ideas! Your photos are great! This weekend I will lay my insulation board and floor bricks. Did you make a decision yet on the thermal break? Will you have one?

My build is here:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...nia-19283.html

Neil
            Thanks for the kind words and feel free to use any of my ideas. I've done the same with others on the site. I decided not to do a thermal break with my oven.

I'll check out your build too.

Comment

Ok guys I had to redesign my entry to make my tapered bricks fit for my arch. I'm now down to 8 1/2" on my side wall and kept the 11 1/2" peak for my entry. This isn't such a bad thing as it reduced the area of my opening making my flue / vent issues ... well.. less of an issue. Do the dimensions of my arch bricks (all the same as my keystone) look ok as well as the overall entry dimensions (will fitting roasting pans and turkeys in the oven still work without stuffing it in there?) Also the little "cut out" that I have now where my Location "A" was in the previous post, is that ok to do? Might become a weak spot in that brick....

Some photos of my build that I finished at lunch. Putting mortar to my top ring tomorrow. Is the gap in the blow up shot acceptable or should I cut my brick at that location in half and make a "funky" cut to fill that gap with a larger brick?

Last edited by K79; 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post

Some photos of my build that I finished at lunch. Putting mortar to my top ring tomorrow. Is the gap in the blow up shot acceptable or should I cut my brick at that location in half and make a "funky" cut to fill that gap with a larger brick?
                K79,
                Your build is looking great love those tight joints...................... Your "funky" cut.....

My concern on my build and yours as well as other builds is the joint between the inner arch and dome bricks. The one solid joint seems like a single point of failure. Here are my 2 cents and thoughts. Attached is a picture of the inner arch to dome transition of my build. I hope I did the right thing. I staggered the joint after the first straight up soldier courses. I’m thinking I should have started sooner but it is as it is. The staggering of the joints will become more difficult as the arc of the dome grows with the coming courses. Although the inner arch will begin to support the dome wall and become less of a vertical joint.

As in most the block construction the corners joints are staggered and the walls do not just butt up against one another. I would like to know what you and others thoughts are on this. I hope I made a good decision.

PS. Please excuse the sloppiness of the mortar joints on the first few courses still on the learning curve. The last course worked out alot better.

Respectfully,
                KB
                Last edited by kbartman; 05-08-2013, 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                  K79,
                  Your build is looking great love those tight joints...................... Your "funky" cut.....

My concern on my build and yours as well as other builds is the joint between the inner arch and dome bricks. The one solid joint seems like a single point of failure. Here are my 2 cents and thoughts. Attached is a picture of the inner arch to dome transition of my build. I hope I did the right thing. I staggered the joint after the first straight up soldier courses. I?m thinking I should have started sooner but it is as it is. The staggering of the joints will become more difficult as the arc of the dome grows with the coming courses. Although the inner arch will begin to support the dome wall and become less of a vertical joint.

As in most the block construction the corners joints are staggered and the walls do not just butt up against one another. I would like to know what you and others thoughts are on this. I hope I made a good decision.

PS. Please excuse the sloppiness of the mortar joints on the first few courses still on the learning curve. The last course worked out alot better.

Respectfully,
                  KB
                  Very good point. Unfortunately I can't stagger my bricks at these locations. Is this an area of serious concern.....???? !!!??

Comment

I would cut an angle at the back of the entry arch brick so that it meets the dome brick on the same plane. that would move your bricks a bit in toward the arch on each side. Insert a small brick somewhere else in the ring to make up the difference.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                      I would cut an angle at the back of the entry arch brick so that it meets the dome brick on the same plane. that would move your bricks a bit in toward the arch on each side. Insert a small brick somewhere else in the ring to make up the difference.
                      Basically like the photo of kbartman's right? Only issue is my first 3 layers are mortared in. Should I start now on my 4th layer? I don't want to take a hammer to it to correct this issue at this point right. That sounds like it would do more harm than good??

Comment

I would not take a hammer to this. I think if you give careful consideration from this point all will be well. I have considered the same. The hammer damage has kept me from going backward. Moving forward and improving as we move on in the right direction will improve our builds and others. Keep on keeping on.

Ps. I would cut a new 4th arch brick and extend it into the dome bricks.
                        Last edited by kbartman; 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM. Reason: added PS
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Hey guys, I'm putting down 3" ceramic fiber blanket once my dome is complete. The FB plans say I don't need any loose vermiculite over the top. I was wondering what everyone else here thinks?

Comment

More never hurts.
                            Check out my pictures here:
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I'm not sure it helps either though. With a roaring fire, the outside layer of 3" of CF blanket will be ambient temperature - so I'm not certain what pouring another $50 worth of vermiculite over the top buys you.
                              Last edited by deejayoh; 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM.
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Ive got 6-7 inches of CF insulation. Just sayin
                                Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Working...
                                X