K79 Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K79 Oven Build

"I had a structural engineer from our other dept. look at my plans. Basically he told me that there isn't much difference between the soldier's and starting from the bottom using half bricks laid stretcher. The dome's weight will make the bottom brick (whichever way it is placed want to shear out). He wouldn't stamp either plan."

Structural engineers are just that and unlikely to have considered the expansion forces on the refractory, the extremely rapid temperature rise and uneven heating experienced by the structure in a real life situation. All the theory at hand is unlikely to be able to predict accurately the ovens true performance. This is only revealed to the oven owner with experience and observation over time.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Here is how I was able to use loose fill. I formed the stucco skin before I added the insulation, then filled it.

edit-note that in the last picture I have put the masonite back on to act as the grade for the edge when I stuccoed the roof. The perlite on the roof is basically wet perlite poured through the lathing.
      Last edited by Tscarborough; 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

The stucco serves as a shell with no structural purpose other than to contain the perlite. Italian Neapolitan ovens use a relatively poor insulator with enough compressive strength to buttress the sailor course against a structural monocoque stucco shell. The exterior on them gets very hot.

Comment

Hey guys... I did a little re-design after spending 2 days home sick. I decided to lay all my bricks stretcher and we're going with a 36" oven. The first 3 courses of brick I'm leaving 6.5" long for a little extra wall at the base and I won't be putting any angle to them. That way I can keep my vertical wall at the edge of the oven that I wanted. I know that the brick is all supposed to be touching on the inside, but for these first 3 courses is it ok to have a 1/8" mortar joint on the inside?

Oh yeah, I now know that it isn't possible for the oven to turn out exactly like it looks on the computer

Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

K,

I am not sure why you will have a 1/8" mortar gap on the side if you flush the bricks up against each other. One thing to avoid, that Tscar taught me, is you have a small brick sliver called a chip (right hand side by arch). You need to avoid this small a width of a brick. Adjust the widths on a couple of the last bricks on each side of the inner arch to make the last brick wider. I tried to make all my adjustment in the area. You cannot readily see this area unless you stick you head in the oven.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There will be an 1/8 gap between the first 3 courses because I'm putting 1/8" of mortar between the bricks and there is no arch to them. Thanks for the heads up about the chip. Can I make the last two on that side half width to remove the chip

Comment

I was told to pack any gaps over 1/8" with castable refractory. Opinions?

Comment

By whom? The guy that sold it to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                    By whom? The guy that sold it to you?
                    Nobody sold me anything it's just a question.

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                      My question to you was, who told you to pack the gap with 1/8" castable refractory? Someone from the forum or the saleman, if there were one? Just asking.

Comment

Huge overkill. I would personally ditch the Refractory mortar with it's 1/8" limitation, go to home-brew which is much more versatile and stop worrying about mortar gaps.

Comment

Heatstop 50 is an awesome product, and I have used it on all my builds to this point. Don't sweat the gap limitations too much...all ovens crack no matter what kind of mortar you use.

I'm glad to see you are doing a herringbone pattern on the floor.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                          John Ruskin

Comment

Yeah, you don't want castable, although you should tuck all the joints with whatever you use.

Comment

You can use any little wedgey off cuts from your bricks.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hey guys... I did a little re-design after spending 2 days home sick. I decided to lay all my bricks stretcher and we're going with a 36" oven.

Ok Guys,
                                I know I haven't even qualified to even mix the mud around here. But please hear me out. If you have been following My Build there has been some discussion to help me understand what the names of the bricks according to the way they lay. I'm trying to work my way out of my lowly position. I only want get a chance to mix a little mud. K79's picture looks to me that his bricks lay on the sailor side with the header side facing in. Please help me understand. Would not this course be called a header course? My daddy told me there is no such thing as a dumb question, as long as I learn from my mistakes.
                                PS. K79, brick cuts look great, hope they will let me cut some soon.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build
                                Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Working...
                                X