X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K79 Oven Build

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Ok Guys,
    I know I haven't even qualified to even mix the mud around here. But please hear me out. If you have been following My Build there has been some discussion to help me understand what the names of the bricks according to the way they lay. I'm trying to work my way out of my lowly position. I only want get a chance to mix a little mud. K79's picture looks to me that his bricks lay on the sailor side with the header side facing in. Please help me understand. Would not this course be called a header course? My daddy told me there is no such thing as a dumb question, as long as I learn from my mistakes.
    PS. K79, brick cuts look great, hope they will let me cut some soon.
    This might help you out..specifically - Orientation of a brick

Brickwork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
      Ok Guys,
      I know I haven't even qualified to even mix the mud around here. But please hear me out. If you have been following My Build there has been some discussion to help me understand what the names of the bricks according to the way they lay. I'm trying to work my way out of my lowly position. I only want get a chance to mix a little mud. K79's picture looks to me that his bricks lay on the sailor side with the header side facing in. Please help me understand. Would not this course be called a header course? My daddy told me there is no such thing as a dumb question, as long as I learn from my mistakes.
      PS. K79, brick cuts look great, hope they will let me cut some soon.
      You've got it. Do two or three courses laid flat, if you want some height at the perimeter, before following the radius. Otherwise just do a hemisphere.

You don't have to make the walls that thick. 4" is probably plenty.
      Lay the next course in bond ie. no coinciding vertical joints.
      Last edited by david s; 03-20-2013, 04:06 AM. Reason: More
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

Smaller than a quarter of a full size unit is normally as small as you want to go.

Comment

Brickwork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Orientation of a brick

Six positions
            A brick is given a classification based on how its face is oriented relative to the face of the finished wall.
            Stretcher: A brick laid with its long narrow side exposed.[8]
            Header: A brick laid flat with its width at the face of the wall, or parallel to the face of the wall.[8]
            Soldier: A brick laid vertically with the long narrow side of the brick exposed.[9]
            Sailor: A brick laid vertically with the broad face of the brick exposed.[10]
            Rowlock: A brick laid on the long narrow side with the short end of the brick exposed.[11]
            Shiner: A brick laid on the long narrow side with the broad face of the brick exposed.[12]
            Thank you stonecutter, thanks david
            How bout telling K79 a broom might be in his future.......... You guys think I might be able to mix some mud now.........Can I please, Can I, Can I
            Respectfully,

KB

My build
            Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Just razing you K79........Love your work thus far.....just haven fun hope you can take it
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                Why not cut a few on the base course to eliminate the small pieces?
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

That's what I want to do, just wondering if that looked ok. It's over 1/4" of the total brick but I guess it'll have to do. Also if I wrap my oven in 3" of FB blanket can I dump my vermiculite over the top to fill my enclosure or do I need to estimate some more width for a vermicrete mix to coat my FB blanket as well. Just trying to figure out my enclosure/pad.

and yes I can take it kbartman... as long as you can..

Comment

I'm trying to make my foundation slab as small as possible. I'm wondering if the placement of my metal studs can be moved in 1" closer to my oven. They are shown below away from my fire blanket by 1". Can I move them in closer by 1"? This would still allow me to fill the oven with loose vermiculite all around by 4".

Comment

Your landing looks a bit short to my eyes. 4" beyond your oven? You probably need at least 9", maybe more. if you are building an oven house, think about how you will get your flue inside the housing. It requires a longer landing.

And also, seems like if you want a small base, you should cut your stretchers to 4.5" (I think you said you had them 6" long) to make the outside radius of your oven 3" smaller.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                        Your landing looks a bit short to my eyes. 4" beyond your oven? You probably need at least 9", maybe more. if you are building an oven house, think about how you will get your flue inside the housing. It requires a longer landing.

And also, seems like if you want a small base, you should cut your stretchers to 4.5" (I think you said you had them 6" long) to make the outside radius of your oven 3" smaller.
                        What about the 1" gap between my blanket and metal studs? Can I eliminate that? The pic below has a few more dimensions on it to clarify.

Comment

I believe you can cut a "portion" of the metal base stud on the inside near the intersection of the stud and dome without adversely affect the strength and eliminate the 1" gap since there is 3" of CF plus your planning on dry vermiculite. I cannot tell but how big is your vent opening, it appears small.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Just don't put a stud centered at that particular point.

Comment

My studs are placed so they themselves are not an issue. What I was wondering: can I have my studs butting right up against my fiber blanket? My oven opening is 208 sqin. My vent opening is 55.77 sqin at the bottom and 34.67 sqin at the top. I was going to taper the opening, and I'm using a 6" ss chimney
                              Last edited by K79; 03-21-2013, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Bread Earth and Fire. Has anyone read this book? Come to find out the guy who wrote it lives a few minutes from my house! I've eaten at his brick oven restaurant quite a bit and it's amazing!

Comment

Working...
                                X