K79 Oven Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: K79 Oven Build

Ok so I'm wondering if the size of my vent arch bricks are ok for the design I would like to do. Also what do you guys think of the area of my vent opening?

Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

the design looks good, but how big is your oven? Can't remember if you are doing a 36" or larger.

Six inch is borderline for a 36" oven, IMHO. My experience is that I would upsize the chimney a bit to be on the safe side. I'd order 7" hardware (I think duravent sells) just to be safe. I have 8" on my 39" oven

Also - others will probably chime in here - but I think the rule of thumb for chimney size is based on % of your opening dimensions, not oven radius. So that's probably a whole 'nother math problem.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Yes I'm building a 36" oven. The FB plans said to use a 6" SS Chimney. I'll look into the 8" ss if you think it's necessary. Also to determine the vent opening it's 15% of the oven opening area. *light bulb just came on* So my oven opening area is 208.91sqin which would make my vent opening minimum 31.33sqin.

Comment

[QUOTE=deejayoh;148440] I'd order 7" hardware (I think duravent sells) just to be safe. I have 8" on my 39" oven

QUOTE]

Did you meant to say you ordered 7" hardware? I'm confused?

Comment

I meant to say that if I were you, I would order 7" hardware. Sounds like that is the right size for your opening anyway.

http://www.ventingpipe.com/simpson-d.../c1559?f3370=7

edit: also - with a cross section of ~38.5", it probably works with your proposed vent with the major *assumption* that you can handle the 11 x 11 inch mounting plate.
            Last edited by deejayoh; 03-22-2013, 12:26 PM.
            My build progress

Comment

Your right, that is a large anchor plate. So everyone that puts on a Duravent 7" or greater needs at a minimum vent landing of at least 11". There must be some way to offset it right? All in the brick work I guess.

Comment

well, even with a 6" vent you have an 11" plate - so no matter how you do it, you are looking at a >1 brick deep landing. I think 11" is easier to build than 10". Full + half brick gives you ~11 3/8". No waste, fewer cuts, easier to stagger the arch.
                My build progress

Comment

The plate is just sheet metal. Cut it. Who wants 11" between them and their oven. I've built mine from sheet metal for both my ovens to keep it at 6" and will do the same on any oven I ever build.

Comment

It's pretty easy to adjust the reach to the oven by offsetting vent depth with the landing depth, instead of hacking at sheet metal.

that said, I never have any problems with the depth of my landing, and my observation is that there are very few landings on this forum that are < 11"
                    My build progress

Comment

• Re: K79 Oven Build

Shuboyje, you are building a Neapolitan vent aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        Shuboyje, you are building a Neapolitan vent aren't you?
                        Yes and no. Yes my second oven has a Neapolitan vent in that it vents back over the dome and goes vertical once it is at the center, but the landing area varies greatly from a Neapolitan oven. In a Neapolitan oven they have essentially zero landing because the entire front of the oven is uninsulated. My oven is insulated fully on the front and around the vent, so I have a 6" landing, the same depth as the insulation.

My first oven had a welded metal vent that was straight up. It was still only 6" deep. Any future ovens I build for home use will have a setup similar to this.

As for "hacking" the metal, maybe my profession(sheet metal worker) has me jaded, but I would think anyone building a brick dome could cut a couple inches of metal and drill some new holes for the tapcons.

My context probably jades my opinion on this, but it is still worth mentioning. My context being that I build low dome small doored Neapolitan inspired pizza ovens. My current oven is 42" with a 18x8 arched entry. The simple task of building a fire in the center of the oven would be impossible if I had landings as long as you guys build, let along accessing the oven to cook 3 pizzas at a time in under 60 seconds.

Comment

I agree. The shallower the entry is the easier it is to work the oven, but you must make sure it is adequately flued.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            I agree. The shallower the entry is the easier it is to work the oven, but you must make sure it is adequately flued.
                            Is it possible to "over" flue?

Comment

Some progress. I can't wait for this weather to break !

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                                Is it possible to "over" flue?
                                With a front flued oven I don't believe it is. The flue will also suck air from the front and the fire only takes as much air as it needs.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X