• Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Thanks Utah,

David,
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I thought I might have problems. I was wondering if the galvanized coating might gas off and be poisonous. That was my biggest fear. I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
    Zinc's melting point is somewhere near 400 C so unless it were inside the oven it should not get anywhere near those numbers. There may be toxic gases given off at lower temps, but I doubt it. Use thin stainless to be safe and corrosion free.

You must be getting really close to some fires by now. That's the exciting part.
    Last edited by david s; 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    I used charcoal with no issues. I placed it on a 16" pizza pan to contain the ash and to remove the heat quickly if needed early on.
    Good idea K. Did you have to remove the pan very many times?

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    Look for a dead stainless grill or dish washer or fridge or even a stove hood on Craigslist a great source of free or almost free stainless.
    Looking for the free stuff.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Lots of room for updating there.
    Charcoal just seems that it belongs in the oven

Thanks Guys for all the help.

I managed to finish my vent floor and heat break. All but the stainless flashing which will be easy to do any time. I manage to slope the oven vent floor landing away from the oven . Once the flashing is in place I think I will be safe from any water intrusion into the insulation entering the front of the oven.

My floor heat break is blend of the those whom trodden before. I'm not sure how well it will perform, but it's better then nothing. I should had used a wider piece of stainless. it would have allowed a thicker section of insulating brick beneath. I ended up with only a one inch sliver of insulating brick. I thought about beveling the two types of brick but didn't thing I would gain much. Most of all the angle cuts would have been a nightmare of difficulty. So it is what it is. I can always put a wider insulating and stainless barrier later if I don't like how it performs.

I incorporated a ceramic fiber band like Gulf did, this should slow some of the heat transfer to the stainless and beyond. We will see......... I allowed the stainless tubing to be slightly higher than the surrounding bricks. This should keep the edges of the bricks from chipping. The square tubing has a nicely rounded corners the and any tool or pans etc... should glide over it easily I hope.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Thanks Utah,
    I will use charcoal for stage two curing, although the FB plans specifically say do not charcoal in the oven only hard wood. It seems to be the norm for the curing process on the forum. I'm curios why they would of said that.
    Because the plans are bit old and not refreshed with the latest/greatest innovations from the forum. The plans don't tell you to use an IT, or how to taper your bricks, or how to build a tapered arch either! Lots of room for updating there.

I had visions of some sort of oven building wiki, but lost steam on the idea.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.
    Look for a dead stainless grill or dish washer or fridge or even a stove hood on Craigslist a great source of free or almost free stainless.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-19-2013, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

I used charcoal with no issues. I placed it on a 16" pizza pan to contain the ash and to remove the heat quickly if needed early on.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.
    Thanks Utah,
    I will use charcoal for stage two curing, although the FB plans specifically say do not charcoal in the oven only hard wood. It seems to be the norm for the curing process on the forum. I'm curios why they would of said that.

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
    if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.
    David,
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I thought I might have problems. I was wondering if the galvanized coating might gas off and be poisonous. That was my biggest fear. I will look for some stainless. What about aluminum? Maybe cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
    Water+ heat+ steel = rust.
    if you can get hold of some thin stainless then use it instead.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Use charcoal in the next phase, it is much easier to control temp.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.
    I'm still here, just been slow going on my part. I did manage to form and pour the additional four inches over the last couple of days.

I did some pre curing with a 500w lamp and took a couple of reading on the heat break. Can't wait to see how it performs at higher temperatures. Still waiting on my high temperature sealant to come in, so I can finish the arches' heat break.

Today I plan on trying to finish vent floor bricks and it's heat break. The plan is to is to use a galvanized flashing beneath the floor bricks to channel any driving rains away from my insulation to below the concrete counter top. not sure how that will affect or conduct heat from the oven. The flashing will start after the floor's square stainless tubing surrounded by a ceramic fiber band heat break.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

hey KB where are you at? waiting for some more photo's.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.
    Ok I think I have this worked out in my head. Can't seem to draw it on paper with any clarity. But I Pulled the trigger and purchase steel stud material for dog house enclosure and a faux stucco chimney. I just didn't feel comfortable building a all brick chimney to extend above my screen enclosure. A brick layer I'm not. So faux it is. Although is has yet to be seen if I'm a stucco man.

Attaching steel studs on the side of the block stand may be a idea to explore, but I think I'll have enough room with sill place on top with adequate insulation.

Sorry Gulf, I know I said I was modeling my vent and chimney after yours, but your craftsmanship and brick laying skills far out way mine. I will though try to copy your oven landing in some way, with your blessing and guidance of course.

Originally posted by david s View Post
    I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.
    David...... .................

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

KB
    when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.
    I went to the army surplus store today too, to get some camouflage pants. I couldn't find any anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Right now I'm considering 4" block wall 3 courses, which would surrounding the dome. This will give me 4" inch for insulation and more as the dome curves. I would get a little more room with staggering steel studs, but feel the small amount of area of dome that will only have the minimum amount will not allow a lot of heat loss. The same stands with the 4" angle that I'm planning to span the inner arch area and support the rear of chimney. The bottom edge of the angle will come within 2" of dome. I will use left over scrapes of FB board to insulate here.

What is everyone's thoughts on heat loss in above described areas.
    What I was suggesting is attaching steel studs to the side of your block stand instead of setting a sill plate on top of your slab. I noticed the insulation space is limited.

In light of what you said above, forget about what I mentioned. The 2" space isn't optimal, but I don't think it will effect the performance any. I was thinking you would have less room than that, looking at the pictures.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

I appreciate everyone's help.

KB
    when to the surplus store today, sorry none left, looked for other type but found nothing suitable.
    Thanks for checking for me, I'll get some ordered soon.

Take with a grain, this is what I would do with what you have.

Looking at your remaining space left between the outside of the dome and edge of the block stand, you won't have much room for insulation (for the first 12" or so) whether you use masonry or studs.

I would lag studs to the side of the block stand.
    Not sure what your getting at in the above post stonecutter. ??

Reminder: clean that cut really well, and leave no dust in it or on any surface you want to apply the liquid membrane.
    I will clean the grove well, thanks for the info.

Right now I'm considering 4" block wall 3 courses, which would surrounding the dome. This will give me 4" inch for insulation and more as the dome curves. I would get a little more room with staggering steel studs, but feel the small amount of area of dome that will only have the minimum amount will not allow a lot of heat loss. The same stands with the 4" angle that I'm planning to span the inner arch area and support the rear of chimney. The bottom edge of the angle will come within 2" of dome. I will use left over scrapes of FB board to insulate here.

What is everyone's thoughts on heat loss in above described areas.
    Last edited by kbartman; 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Stonecutter,

You've read my mind. After finishing the temporary enclosure I sat back for a look and the exact same thought came to mind. Something on the smaller and lower side though. Although I like the shade it provides. Winter time shade with the sun further south would probably be non existent. Still pretty warm in the sun during the winter, in Florida. Lower would be better.

I like the block idea. Lots of decisions to be make
    Take with a grain, this is what I would do with what you have.

Looking at your remaining space left between the outside of the dome and edge of the block stand, you won't have much room for insulation (for the first 12" or so) whether you use masonry or studs.

I would lag studs to the side of the block stand.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X