My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

I have a BBQ Guru controller with a 10 cfm fan for my large ceramic smoker. I'm not sure the fan will move enough air for a 40" oven. What do y'all think? I see they now offer a 25 cfm fan.

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      DJ

Like you I put a PID on my Rancillo by Auber since it was already designed for my espresso machine. KB I am sure you can get the part nd design something less costly just if you electronic skills are greater than my pay rank.

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
      I have a BBQ Guru controller with a 10 cfm fan for my large ceramic smoker. I'm not sure the fan will move enough air for a 40" oven. What do y'all think? I see they now offer a 25 cfm fan.
      I'm sure if your all interested we can come up with a workable design of some sort. I'm no electronics genius but have a working knowledge of instruments and controls.

I'm far from a controls engineer Kurt, but I was thinking that natural circulation wood feed the fire and if I wanted to slow that down I would just close a damper. I think any size fan would be beneficial and add to that circulation.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Ok Guys,

I began Day 5 with slowly bringing the temperature back while cooking some breakfast casserole. I closed the oven the night before with a few pieces of cement board. The top of the dome was still at 280F.

I think I'm lagging behind the regular curing schedule. I was shooting for 550F IR dome top temperature. I averaged more like 450F. Every time the dome spike above 550 I would move the wood around and douse the flames. I think I'm going to shoot for a IR temp of 600F tomorrow.

The IR reading fluctuated with the fire, the TC reading showed a steady climb thru out the day. I enjoyed my first WFO dinner, ending the day at 420F top TC

I decided make and to add a floor TC to the center bottom of floor brick, next to the insulation. I was surprised to find this the highest temperature after placing the fire directly on the oven floor. It showed a steady climb thru out the day, starting at 239F ending at 586F.

Colin ask me to show my homemade TC'S, attached some pictures.
        Last edited by kbartman; 09-21-2013, 08:16 PM.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

hi KB

Thanks for posting the photos of the thermocouples. I wasn't aware you made these yourself.

Any chance of some instructions of how to do this. I was thinking of buying some but if I can make myself why not........
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

KB - One last comment on the fan controller thingy.

PID controllers and Thermocouples can be had pretty cheaply at AMZN. $47 for this combo with the SS Relay. Amazon.com: IMAGE? 25A SSR-25DA Solid State Relay with Heat Sink+ Manual/ Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller SNR: Home Improvement

I think if you combine that with a a couple of PC processor cooling fans (which should be able to take the heat at the door given what they are designed for) + a piece of steel for the door, and I think you're close to the parts you'd need.

But I don't mean to muck up your thread. I'll start a new one if I ever get going on the idea.

Oh - and Russell - I did exactly the same thing to my Rancilio! but now we've upgraded to an Izzo Alex Duetto which is fantastic. But that's another topic for a whole 'nother thread.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
              Any chance of some instructions of how to do this. I was thinking of buying some but if I can make myself why not........
              I think they only cost $5 or $10 here. You guys are much closer to china, not sure why everything is so expensive
              My build progress

Comment

hi KB

Thanks for posting the photos of the thermocouples. I wasn't aware you made these yourself.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                KB - One last comment on the fan controller thingy.

PID controllers and Thermocouples can be had pretty cheaply at AMZN. $47 for this combo with the SS Relay. Amazon.com: IMAGE? 25A SSR-25DA Solid State Relay with Heat Sink+ Manual/ Auto-tuning PID Temperature Controller SNR: Home Improvement

I think if you combine that with a a couple of PC processor cooling fans (which should be able to take the heat at the door given what they are designed for) + a piece of steel for the door, and I think you're close to the parts you'd need.

But I don't mean to muck up your thread. I'll start a new one if I ever get going on the idea.

Hey Guys,

No worry about mucking up the thread, this discussion is all good here.

Dee,

Thanks for the great info. I just purchased that controller less the relay, heat sink and added a thermocouple that is better suited to install in my oven door for a grand total !!!!!!!!!!!! wait for it.....................$5.83 Let me say that again.......... $5.83.............................. I got free shipping and a $30 instant savings ..........

I didn't know amazon had such great deals. I can't thank you enough Dee.

Colin,
                I have access to scrap thermocouple extension wire, so my cost is just my time to twist the two extension wires together and tape. The only reason I used the fiberglass tape, was the extension wire I used was only good to about 480F. I figured taping them would keep the two PFA insulated wires from shorting together before the formed twisted measuring junction which makes the thermocouple. With the tubing I used as thermo wells , I can easily pull out and replace if they go bad. A 100ft spool of fiberglass insulated wire rated at about 890F would be better suited not have to be taped, allow for multiple configurations and locations for about 60 cent a foot. TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control

Don't get me wrong the premade's are a great deal and would probably hold up better, But having a spool on hand allows one to customize and repair on a whim.

Tropical system over the Florida pizza, many inches of rain for the next few days. Curing brought to a stand still and oven cooled in fears of a leaking temporary enclosure..........Bummer......Always safer then sorry.
                Last edited by kbartman; 09-24-2013, 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

hi KB

Colin,

I hope I answered your questions on how to build a thermocouple on the last post. If you still have questions feel free to ask away.

I still can't believe the deal Dee help me find on the PID controller. I will use it as my permanent temperature read out. IF anyone is interested and has questions on how to do that I will try to help as well.

Thanks again everyone for all your great idea's and help. There is no way I could have gotten this far on my build, without this forum.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thanks KB

Much appreciated will look into doing this.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Progress has been slow to this point, hope to finish the curing fires this weekend. I also hope to get the outer decorative arch completed and start the stucco process soon.

I need some advice on stucco...............My thinking is that a igloo style enclosure, that the moisture barrier is achieved in the in the final stucco coats and paint that seals and keeps moisture out of the dome.

My thoughts are at this point is to stucco over wire lath directly in contact with the Hardie board and create the moisture barrier with the final coats of paint. With the stucco directly bonded to the Hardie Board, I'm thinking there would be less chance of cracking.

The other train of thought would be a felt paper under the wire lath. This would create a secondary moisture barrier. that would leave only the 1/2 " of stucco which I think could crack easily.

I'm no stucco expert and would like your opinions.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                        The other train of thought would be a felt paper under the wire lath. This would create a secondary moisture barrier.
                        ^^^
                        This. Stucco is not a waterproof material. It absorbs water. It needs a moisture barrier. And that is the primary barrier. How it's worked for hundreds of years.
                        My build progress

Comment

Didn't KB say stucco with paint to seal? Or have I missed something....
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Thanks Chis,

I will be gentle with her, as I would my wife. I brought the oven gently up to 350 before leaving it to the wife to tend. I went inside to sleep to be ready for night shift. I was hoping to keep the oven at 350F all day. When I woke I discovered she had left the temperature fall to about 250F. Oh well no chicken supper for me. Try again tomorrow.

I scored some free fire wood from a friend, I should be good to go. Mostly oak. He did say there was some other tree mixed in he had cut down in his yard don't remember the name, started with a "M", I think. I couldn't tell the difference cause most of the bark was off.

Anyway I was wondering is there any is wood that is poisonous to burn?
                            I will have to find out the name my friend's tree.

Took some pictures of the dome to look for any crack. Don't see any yet.
                            Looks like maybe you got some Mesquite wood splits there on the top right of the stack maybe??. Its really good for grilling because it burns really hot and has a good strong smoke. I am using some smaller pieces in my curing fires but being careful because it does burn VERY HOT!
                            My build documentary page:
                            https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Progress has been slow to this point, hope to finish the curing fires this weekend. I also hope to get the outer decorative arch completed and start the stucco process soon.

I need some advice on stucco...............My thinking is that a igloo style enclosure, that the moisture barrier is achieved in the in the final stucco coats and paint that seals and keeps moisture out of the dome.

My thoughts are at this point is to stucco over wire lath directly in contact with the Hardie board and create the moisture barrier with the final coats of paint. With the stucco directly bonded to the Hardie Board, I'm thinking there would be less chance of cracking.

The other train of thought would be a felt paper under the wire lath. This would create a secondary moisture barrier. that would leave only the 1/2 " of stucco which I think could crack easily.

I'm no stucco expert and would like your opinions.
                              Correct that paint will seal out moisture. It will also seal it in too, if the stucco is compromised (crack)

If you use felt, use two layers of #15, it's standard practice.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                                Looks like maybe you got some Mesquite wood splits there on the top right of the stack maybe??. Its really good for grilling because it burns really hot and has a good strong smoke. I am using some smaller pieces in my curing fires but being careful because it does burn VERY HOT!
                                GAC,
                                I have not ask my buddy about "M" wood , but I don't think it is Mesquite. When he told me to come over to get the wood he told me the name of the tree and suggested I get the oak. He said I would be able to see a difference. I couldn't tell and he wasn't there at the time.

How's the curing going? Holding the temperature down showed to be a chore especially while working on the back side of the oven. I had a few hot spikes scares and I decided to wait till I had time to devote to closely tending the fire.

Your oven is coming along nicely.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                ^^^
                                This. Stucco is not a waterproof material. It absorbs water. It needs a moisture barrier. And that is the primary barrier. How it's worked for hundreds of years.
                                Didn't KB say stucco with paint to seal? Or have I missed something....
                                Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                Correct that paint will seal out moisture. It will also seal it in too, if the stucco is compromised (crack)

If you use felt, use two layers of #15, it's standard practice.
                                Ok guys, looks like I will put down some felt under the lath. I'm not sure how to deal with the over lap onto the concrete block. I presume I can end the felt there.

I'm also concerned with the penetration of the felt paper for attaching the wire lath. Does this not compromise the vapor barrier?

Stonecutter,
                                I noticed the felt beneath your chimney stucco, I presume this with over lap the flashing around your chimney, is this correct?

I be thinking and considering the moisture that may get trapped inside my chimney enclosure and was considering a vent on top underneath the chimney pot/extension. I will also have a ridge vent on the dome house enclosure, which is at a lower elevation. I did not see any vents on yours. What are your thoughts on moisture built up in the chimney enclousure?

Again thanks for everyone's help.
                                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Working...
                                X