My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Anything made with Portland cement will benefit from being kept moist for a week to increase strength. If you are not concerned about strength then it doesn't matter. Removing the water though, can be problematic because steam will rapidly increase in volume and can make the vermicrete layer expand and crack destroying the bonds that the cement made. As the vermicrete contains around double the amount of water than the same volume of normal concrete removing that water can cause problems.I like to let time and the weather do much of the drying, but this depends on what Mother Nature dishes up to you. I did some tests with vermicrete that may help.
    Attached Files
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
      hey KB looking good.
      Thanks Colin.

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Anything made with Portland cement will benefit from being kept moist for a week to increase strength.
      I think I'll wait the seven days and go easy then. Neat testing David, Thanks for your input.

I got some insulation around the chimney. That is some nasty stuff. We will have to do a study in about 25 years and see how many WFO widows there will actual be........... I used a respirator, I think next time I'll were a Tyvex suit. I was thinking of putting the insulation on the dome for curing then remove on inspect for cracks. I don't think I want to do that,........... It's to nasty.............. Also I got all the studs cut for the chimney surround..............
      Last edited by kbartman; 09-17-2013, 11:08 PM.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Ok Guy's
        I'm finally curing the oven........... Added some thermocouples to help with the curing process and to play with later. I have been trying to hold the dome top at 200degrees today.

I'm pretty sure I want to finish insulating the dome before I go to the higher temps................... What are you'all thoughts?
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Hi KB

I have been in contact with a commercial oven builder, that builds commercial furnaces . His practical over 30 years experience told me. Finish the oven completely then cure. that's what I will do.

Btw. Looking good. A picture of your Thermo couples would be great still contemplating that one. Also any cracks appear?
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
            Hi KB

I have been in contact with a commercial oven builder, that builds commercial furnaces . His practical over 30 years experience told me. Finish the oven completely then cure. that's what I will do.

Btw. Looking good. A picture of your Thermo couples would be great still contemplating that one. Also any cracks appear?
            Colin,
            Sorry no picture of the thermocouple. It is just some scrap thermocouple extension wire twisted together to form the measuring junction and then taped with high temperature glass tape the first foot. I'll take a picture on the next one I make.

Sorry no cracks its all covered with insulation now.....I guess I'll never know.
            Last edited by kbartman; 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM. Reason: grammer
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Looking great, KB!!! I predict that you are going to be very, very, happy with your oven!

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                Looking great, KB!!! I predict that you are going to be very, very, happy with your oven!

Neil
                Thanks Neil,
                I'm sure and also predict I will be a happy man, especially when all the hard work sweat and tears are over.

I carried these posts back from GarnerAC thread and one on thermocouples hope to continue the discussion on dampers and gadgets.
                Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                Gac,

Sounds like your sticking to simplicity. I understand, my thinking keeps me going over budget, I keep trying to simplify my life but there is away a new project around the corner.

I'm on my third day of fire curing. Keeping temperatures low is a task especially after the addition of insulation. I will try to post some data on the temperatures of thermocouples later on my thread.

Since it sound like simplicity is in your future and we don't want to high jack your thread. I will post more comments about dampers and gadgets on my thread.

Hope your surgery goes well.
                I also fell in love with the thought about dampers and gadgets after seeing Gulf's excellent build. I considered a damper on the flue as well. I'm curios to hear from Gulf on the utility he has found with his............... I'm still considering, but in the interest of speeding my build I left it out of my chimney, I'm thinking of maybe incorporating it in my stainless steel chimney extension\spark arrestor. Although Over dampering on the chimney could cause smoke to come out the front of the vent area's outside door............... I thinking some type of temperature\damper controller might work better work on the inside oven door.
                Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                I have been mentally toying around with the idea of an inner door with a PID-controlled regulator/fan and two openings in order to use the oven as a smoker/slow cook BBQ. I am not sure it would work, but it would be cool to be able to maintain temps of 200 or so for long periods. Adding an outer door and a damper to that equation seems like it would make it a more complicated task.
                Cool idea Dee I hope to purchase a PID controller to display my temperature read outs.

I found this temperature controller to use as my thermocouple read out.....Autonics TC Series PID Temperature Controller | Temperature Controllers | Instrumart What you all think?
                Last edited by kbartman; 09-19-2013, 03:06 AM. Reason: spelling
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Ok Guys,
                  I finish day three of curing. I been taking it slow. The first day about 1 pm and went for about 12 hours Holding the dome top temp at 200 F with IR thermometer, had a few spike at 230F. Hit 250F before bed and let her cool. I wasn't to concerned about the few spikes cause of the pre-curing with the 1500W of light that held the temp at about 165 F for many days

Day 2:
                  Worked on insulating the dome so tending the fire was on back burner so temp swung between 165 F to 243 F. I was keeping a eye on my top TC which is located about 1 1/4" above top of dome face. I hit 212 F before going to bed so I decide to let her cool.

Day 3:
                  With dome insulated I began with the following measurements: I did not have time to maintain the fire but ask the wife to add a few piece charcoal about every 1/2 hour or so, and don't let the top TC to get above 210F

.............................Start ............... Mid Evening
                  Top TC:...................158 ...................210F
                  Side TC:...................129F..................161F
                  Side outside
                  of dome TC:..............120F..................132F
                  Top IR .....................164F...................245F
                  Side IR ....................140F..................195F
                  Floor IR ...................118F...................157F

I hope to go above 250F upwards to the 300F mark tomorrow. What do you all think?.......... I'm scared need opinions.
                  Last edited by kbartman; 09-19-2013, 03:09 AM. Reason: spelling
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

The idea is of course to go to the target temp and hold for enough time to saturate and give the structure time to get comfortable at temp.

I don't see your durations at temp on day 2 and 3, but considering the first day I think your good to gently push, over a 2-3 hour time, to 300 and hold for a few hours. After 2-3 hours or so at 300 you could bump to 350F and again hold for a few hours. This should be more than good for day 4.

Day 5 could slowly build, over a 3-4 hour time, to 450F and hold. Add a 100-150F a day to 700-800F. At 800F your oven isn't completely broken so don't assume that you can push it from ambient to 1000F in 30 minutes and without cracking something.

Be gentile with her until you get acquainted..

Remember your in the cooking range at 350F and a roast chicken can be a great reward..

Chris

PS. Remember as the structure dries the amount of fuel needed to get to and to hold temp will decrease and this can very easily take you by surprise when you shoot well past the target temp.
                    Last edited by SCChris; 09-19-2013, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
                      The idea is of course to go to the target temp and hold for enough time to saturate and give the structure time to get comfortable at temp.

Be gentile with her until you get acquainted..

Remember your in the cooking range at 350F and a roast chicken can be a great reward..

Chris
                      Thanks Chis,

I will be gentle with her, as I would my wife. I brought the oven gently up to 350 before leaving it to the wife to tend. I went inside to sleep to be ready for night shift. I was hoping to keep the oven at 350F all day. When I woke I discovered she had left the temperature fall to about 250F. Oh well no chicken supper for me. Try again tomorrow.

I scored some free fire wood from a friend, I should be good to go. Mostly oak. He did say there was some other tree mixed in he had cut down in his yard don't remember the name, started with a "M", I think. I couldn't tell the difference cause most of the bark was off.

Anyway I was wondering is there any is wood that is poisonous to burn?
                      I will have to find out the name my friend's tree.

Took some pictures of the dome to look for any crack. Don't see any yet.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

You spelt July wrong........
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I have been mentally toying around with the idea of an inner door with a PID-controlled regulator/fan and two openings in order to use the oven as a smoker/slow cook BBQ. I am not sure it would work, but it would be cool to be able to maintain temps of 200 or so for long periods. Adding an outer door and a damper to that equation seems like it would make it a more complicated task.
                          Dee,

Your idea with the PID controller regulator fan. Is the fan variable speed or just on off? I would think that a self closing damper on the fan might be necessary, maybe both openings. I was thinking of using the PID controller to open and close dampers and let natural draft take over to regulate oxygen to the fire to control the temperature. What are your thoughts?

I see a proto-type in our near future with a piece of cement board.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

KB -
                            My idea was two fans, in opposite directions - on/off only. I have worked with PID controllers only on modding my espresso machine. That one was on/off in quick bursts. I haven't seen variable-speed controller PIDs - though I imagine they exist. The idea is highly conceptual at this point - but I think the key is more or less forced air. I guess you could do it with a damper as well. Just needs some sort of motor (which the fan supplies in a nicely contained way)

This sort of kit (for a big green egg) , but home-made. This is the company I bought my espresso PID from and I figure I could piece something like this together myself
                            http://www.auberins.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=187

As to your wood question - Laurel and Yew are the two I know of that are supposed to be toxic. Not sure you even have either of them in FL.
                            Last edited by deejayoh; 09-20-2013, 09:38 AM.
                            My build progress
                            My WFO Journal on Facebook
                            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

KB -
                              My idea was two fans, in opposite directions - on/off only. I have worked with PID controllers only on modding my espresso machine. That one was on/off in quick bursts. I haven't seen variable-speed controller PIDs - though I imagine they exist. The idea is highly conceptual at this point - but I think the key is more or less forced air. I guess you could do it with a damper as well. Just needs some sort of motor (which the fan supplies in a nicely contained way)

This sort of kit (for a big green egg) , but home-made. This is the company I bought my espresso PID from and I figure I could piece something like this together myself
                              Temperature Controller for Large Big Green Eggs [SYL-1615SYS-G] - $144.50 : auberins.com, Temperature control solutions for home and industry

As to your wood question - Laurel and Yew are the two I know of that are supposed to be toxic. Not sure you even have either of them in FL.
                              Cool,

I didn't know they made something for the green egg, bite pricey. I'm sure we can come up with a cheaper and better one.
                              I was thinking of building a prototype door with manual dampers to see how well I can regulate temperature. although I haven't come up with a small contained actuator,the fans are sounding like a good option.

As to the wood question -I hope your not talking about Laurel Oak it is very common here in the.
                              south. Anyway I came across this when doing a quick search of poisonous smoking woods Smoking Woods: Smoking Meat, Making Sausage, Making Cheese, Making Jerky, Brewing Beer, Canning, Dehydrating funny it even has your name . This isn't your site is it? It listed cedar as one., many dishes are cook and served on a cedar plank
                              Last edited by kbartman; 09-20-2013, 09:16 PM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

DJ

Like you I put a PID on my Rancillo by Auber since it was already designed for my espresso machine. KB I am sure you can get the part nd design something less costly just if you electronic skills are greater than my pay rank.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X