X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Hey KB

Looking good very impressive build is that a fa?ade only i.e. Dog House look at front igloo at back?

My memory needs refreshing a little.
    No igloo at the back, I considered it, but thought it might stick like a sore thumb on the back side of the pool wall all by itself. I couldn't wrap my hands around how to extend the dog house roof into the pool area and transition with screen enclosure. So I decided to leave dog house enclosure on the back side of the pool wall and build a chimney up thru the screen enclosure. The insulation I added under the hearth and on the dome pushed the dog house roof line above the existing pool wall on my original plan. The knee wall on top the existing pool wall was needed to allow the roof line to be flashed against the rear of the chimney and onto existing pool wall. Hope that makes a little sense of it all. I know it a little unusual, but hope it all turns out well.

Attached is my origin concept drawing I had it all work out I thought. 2" here 1/2" there, added up. Oh well I'll work it out.
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Finally made some headway after much procrastination. I got the metal lath attached and did a scratch coat on the oven enclosure. The chimney and knee wall is going to take some skill to get a good job......I figured I would practice first...............Picked up a cement mixer on craigslist for $60 bucks, so glad I didn't try to hand mix the stucco............ Mixer will be for sale soon after.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Brown coat completed yesterday. I'm glad it was a cold day here in Florida, not much above 50F. It allowed the stucco to set very slowly, which was a good thing to start with. Gave me extra time as I got above the learning curve with my troweling technic. I had to scrap off and redo a lower side. My constant troweling and a little water spray bottle, caused the stucco layer to pull away. It built up a very wet mix next to scratch coat and fell away. Not sure if that was cause from too wet of a mixture of stucco, over troweling, or over saturating the scratch coat before beginning. All worked out much better with a firmer mixture.

I think Dee had posted his stucco only took about 90minutes to do.... Anyway took me over 8hrs to allow me to get the surfaces firmed up and floated. I found that the surfaces firm up much quicker when lightly floated. The very smooth troweled surfaces took forever to firm up.

One big learner curve, I hope I'll have gained enough experience to tackle the many angles and corners on the chimney. I want the front side of the oven too look its best, probably not many guest will venture to back side.

Any question or comments would be greatly appreciated. Still have much too learn.

I got to get out there this morning get the finish coat started. I hope this coat goes much quicker.
        Last edited by kbartman; 01-08-2014, 06:44 PM.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Question for you - did you ever "Scratch" the scratch coat? It's supposed to have grooves in it that will hold the brown coat. I should have caught that from your pix yesterday. Maybe that is the source of your adhesion problems?
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            Question for you - did you ever "Scratch" the scratch coat? It's supposed to have grooves in it that will hold the brown coat. I should have caught that from your pix yesterday. Maybe that is the source of your adhesion problems?
            Thanks for your response Dee. I don't know if you can make it out in the pics, but yes I did scratch horizontal grooves. Some I thought were too deep and others only surface scratched as the stucco was setting up unevenly.

Anyway water under the bridge. Finish coats completed today. It went a little quicker, I think I'll be experienced and ready for the chimney. I'm happy I think, hope it don't fall off.

Next step is to build counters on both side of the oven and chip the old stucco off the pool wall for the backsplash. This should give me time to find any defects in the completed stucco before I attempt the chimney.

Pictures of the scratch and finish coat, I just realized I forgot take one of the brown coat ...... bummer..... I tried to match the existing stucco on the lower half and went for a smoother texture on the upper to give it some contrast. Hope you all like it.
            Last edited by kbartman; 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Looking good KB.

Took me a while to see I was looking at the back of the oven.
              I saw a display home today that had the perfect setting for a WFO only trouble they installed a combustion heater what a waste. BUt gave me some ideas for my next WFO as we are looking towards buying another property up the road. Moving in in a few years time.

So am already planning WFO Mark II
              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Made some progress over the last couple of days. Finish up the removal of the old stucco to get ready for counters and backsplash. Formed up and poured bases for cabinets and counter.

The stucco removal went fairly well had the whole thing stripped in a few hours, scored with a grinder, the stucco popped off cleanly, except for the left lower half. They must have had the stucco application just right there. It was a bugger. Had I started there I don't think I would have tackled it. I only hope my stucco application sticks as well.
                Last edited by kbartman; 01-10-2014, 04:00 PM.
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

KB,

Although I do not have a professional eye, I'd hire you to do stucco at my house! Can't wait to see the finished project! Does that bottom wood storage area go from inside your enclosure to outside: meaning so you can load wood from the exterior of the pool enclosure? If so, awesome idea! I need something like that for my pool chemicals instead of lugging through the house which is much faster than going through a gate and then going through the screened lanai.

Comment

Thanks Gator,
                    Yes the opening goes from one side to the other........I know what you mean about lugging those chemical..........Lugging wood came to mind during planning stages. My outside wood storage is close to the road behind my house, which make off loading wood just a throw over the fence. From there is just a short distance to load the dry storage under the oven.

Ps, I'm not for hire, the manual labor on the WFO is wearing me out at a young age
                    Last edited by kbartman; 01-10-2014, 03:11 PM.
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                      Thanks Gator,
                      Yes the opening goes from one side to the other........
                      A roller bed and track would work great in your storage. I can see it sliding out about half way, and being full loaded from the back. When needed, it could be slid out about half way of the front, making each piece of wood easy to reach
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                        A roller bed and track would work great in your storage. I can see it sliding out about half way, and being full loaded from the back. When needed, it could be slid out about half way of the front, making each piece of wood easy to reach
                        Cool idea,
                        I thought about it when I seen yours. I really like the utility of it all.
                        I will send you the measurements and you can come install it for me.
                        While I concentrate on finishing my counters cabinets and stucco. You better hurry though, Super bowl is the deadline.
                        Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

Cool idea,
                          I thought about it when I seen yours. I really like the utility of it all.
                          I will send you the measurements and you can come install it for me.
                          While I concentrate on finishing my counters cabinets and stucco. You better hurry though, Super bowl is the deadline.
                          Sorry KB,
                          The Florabama is about as far into Florida as I only occasionly get. And I doubt that I will even have my oven finished by the Super Bowl .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Ahh bummer..... I 'll guess I will have to do it myself.............No Super bowl party here........All though I'm still trying for it...........Got a little done on the cabinet bases.
                            Last edited by kbartman; 01-15-2014, 05:55 AM.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Like the progress KB.

Been to many mullet-tosses that I can remember and have forgotten, Gulf!

Comment

KB, I continue to follow your build. You are a patient man!!

Once my oven got to usable state, I decided to delay the final completion work until the spring.

Very, very nice work!

Neil

Comment

Working...
                                X