Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
    KB, I continue to follow your build. You are a patient man!!

Once my oven got to usable state, I decided to delay the final completion work until the spring.

Very, very nice work!

Neil
    Thanks Neil,
    Patient man I'm not, just stubborn and persistent. I've been at this too long and ready to "Get her done"......Beside If I wait till spring it will be hot again, I love working in cooler weather. I remember not long ago when I plugged the dome, I about passed out from the heat. Its nice not to be drenched in sweat.

Got my cabinets framed out and ready for the concrete board and stucco.
    The right side will have a prep sink......Now the I think about I should have recess the plumbing in the wall.................... Oops
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Originally posted by kkgator View Post
      Like the progress KB.
      Thanks kkgator,
      I keep forgetting to say thanks to all............ This forum and all those posting, has allowed my slow but continued progress, to be successful. Many thanks again.......... I think the pressure treated lumber frame will be ample support for my counters tops. The plan is to cover the top 1/4" Hardee Board mainly to serve as a temporary counter top and keep weather out. I think it may be awhile before I get to the counter pours. I'm wondering what a 2" X 56 X 20" concrete counter would weigh and my support is suffcient?
      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but.... Don't use Hardieboard for exterior work. You want Durock for that.

Edit : Depending on how long you are waiting...since you are throwing a sheet of durock or something on the framing for a temporary counter, why not grab some cheap 24x24 travertine or granite tile and cover it up quick. In in FLA you can get natural tile that size for less than $4 a sqft.
        Last edited by stonecutter; 01-16-2014, 07:18 AM.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
          I'm wondering what a 2" X 56 X 20" concrete counter would weigh and my support is suffcient?
          About 193 lbs give or take.

Support....your cleat in the back of your box should be supported so that the tapcons are not carrying the the whole load. Put a couple uprights in and you're good to go. The rest looks good.

Remember, don't try to adhere the concrete with a strong bond..like with epoxy, construction adhesive, thin set etc....you want it to remain independent and free to move, because that's what different materials do..expan and contract at different rates. Ex grade silicon or Lexel.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
            I'm starting to sound like a broken record, but.... Don't use Hardieboard for exterior work. You want Durock for that.

Edit : Depending on how long you are waiting...since you are throwing a sheet of durock or something on the framing for a temporary counter, why not grab some cheap 24x24 travertine or granite tile and cover it up quick. In in FLA you can get natural tile that size for less than $4 a sqft.
            I appreciate and value your advice. I already had the hardie board laying around, so cost is nil, verse $4 sqft ....... I was already committed when I learn of it not recommended for outside use. Although it is warranted by James Hardie as such. With that said, you're good to sound off and warn others. Had I heard this before I was committed my choice would have been Durock. My experience with that is it easily crumbles , another reason I choose Hardie. Thanks again.
            hardiebacker-10-year-limited-warranty-exterior-applications.pdf
            About 193 lbs give or take.

Support....your cleat in the back of your box should be supported so that the tapcons are not carrying the the whole load. Put a couple uprights in and you're good to go. The rest looks good.

Remember, don't try to adhere the concrete with a strong bond..like with epoxy, construction adhesive, thin set etc....you want it to remain independent and free to move, because that's what different materials do..expan and contract at different rates. Ex grade silicon or Lexel.
            A couple of upright is a great idea........also silicon....will do..... Thanks for the advice....look forward to seeing the marbling technic.....I think something similar will work for my counters.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Yep, I know about that warranty.

I'm doing stucco and timber for my cabinet base. I use Durock permabase for the sheathing. Not sure when I'll get to the pour, I just finished travertine backsplashes, cabinets and plumbing in our master bath, and it's on to the granite counters and tile in the kitchen.

I'll probably squeeze the concrete somewhere in between it all...the good thing is, I have done it enough to where it's a relatively fast process... Should only take me 5-6 hours from layout to cover up.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Slowly but surely..............metal lath starts today
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Well the metal lath is complete............... Wow and I thought a stucco faux chimney was the easy way out. I think a real brick chimney would have been a breeze compared to all the work I put in the steel studs, cement board, tar paper and metal lath and then stucco. All those corners and angles took me forever to get the lath on............Oh well live and learn...........Got started on the brick accents.

Once I finish the brick work, I will be on the homeward stretch after stucco.

Ps.
                  I had all little friend watched me work, stayed with me pretty much all day.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                    I had all little friend watched me work, stayed with me pretty much all day.
                    At least it wasn't a bunch of vultures circling around.

Looks good...but you should have done it in masonry.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

What is it with the Predatory Fowl and our WFO's?
                      My build documentary page:
                      https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                        All I see are crows. And no, I'm not going to eat them!
                        My build progress
                        My WFO Journal on Facebook
                        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hey KB maybe its waiting for a tasty morsal from that oven,

Must admit i'm glad I am sticking with an igloo. So much easier.

The next oven when swmbo and I move into new home we just purchased, in a couple of years I'm thinking I will do the same as I have now, with a slight variation where I will have a wall behind the decorative arch to make it look like a dog house enclosure but behind this I will leave just the rendered dome. I will include my signature again too, the yin and yang will be prevalent in this build also.

Nice neat job KB amazing build.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-25-2014, 04:36 PM.
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

At least it wasn't a bunch of vultures circling around.

Looks good...but you should have done it in masonry.
                            As slow as I've working, there should be vultures circling

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                            They may be protecting us from the vultures, aleast me anyhow.

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                            All I see are crows. And no, I'm not going to eat them!
                            Deeeeeee......... don't never say your not going to eat crow. You know better then that........

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                            Hey KB maybe its waiting for a tasty morsal from that oven,

Nice neat job KB amazing build.
                            He may have to wait quite awhile for the tasty morsel as I concentrate on finish the build.

Thanks all
                            Last edited by kbartman; 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM.
                            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Ole "Sunny Florida" has not been sunny The past few days. I had to put up the tarp again, which is probably a good thing when the sun returns it will help in the curing process of the stucco. I was able to get some of the brick accents and got the scratch coat done on the upper portion, despite the nasty 45F and rain......burr......... The three arches and beneath the oven counter will receive the brick accents..............Tossing over in my mind how to accent the base.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

All I can say KB is amazing attention to detail
                                Simply breath taking.A work of art, a lesson in perfection.especially in incorporating and into existing infrastructure
                                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
                                X