My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Those look very good. I used cement and color for slurry. No sand. I also used latex additive instead of water, for adhesion - but I am not sure it's necessary.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I did a repair for spalling rather than just bug holes so my repair was more extensive than normal. I let it set for a week plus but that was based more on my time schedule than anything. I started at 100, 200, 300 and then 400 grit. No water in my slurry but an acrylic solution that came with the repair cement.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
        Those look very good. I used cement and color for slurry. No sand. I also used latex additive instead of water, for adhesion - but I am not sure it's necessary.
        Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        I did a repair for spalling rather than just bug holes so my repair was more extensive than normal. I let it set for a week plus but that was based more on my time schedule than anything. I started at 100, 200, 300 and then 400 grit. No water in my slurry but an acrylic solution that came with the repair cement.
        Thanks Dee,
        Latex additive. I have some left over bolding agent. Think that might work?

I don't have a week to wait, counters need to be installed next weekend. Do you all have any suggestions on a food safe sealer I can get my hands on quick?.......... I'm considering a matted finish, I think a polished finish would clash with rest of the oven.

Thanks again all for your help
        Respectfully,

KB

My build
        Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I use Butcher block conditioner from home depot, works great to seal the counters. It is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Since your oven is relatively covered, it should be all you need.

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner 12 oz-BBC012 at The Home Depot
          My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            I use Butcher block conditioner from home depot, works great to seal the counters. It is a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. Since your oven is relatively covered, it should be all you need.

Howard Butcher Block Conditioner 12 oz-BBC012 at The Home Depot
            Yes I bought some of that awhile back for my pizza peel and cutting boards on your recommendation, works great on them........... Relatively covered?................ Counters will get rained on almost everyday during our rainy season which begins soon........The screen enclosure may provide a little sun protection at best...........You still think that's enough?.............. I like the idea, sure will be easy enough to apply.
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

No sand in the slurry...and you do want acrylic admixture, not water, or it will shrink too much. Most acrylics sold are only 20-40 % solids...if you had a pour with a lot of voids I would steer you towards a specialized product, which has 50% or more.

I'd like to swing by, but I don't think we will get the chance. If something changes I'll shoot you a pm.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

For a sealer I would recommend Miracle 511 porous plus...especially since you have a tight deadline. Butcher oil is very nice, but I save that for soapstone. After the sealer dries then apply the bees wax...that is the sacrificial layer, and should be reapplied often.

Something to keep in mind for any sealed surface. It does not 'stain proof' the material, but allows more time to remove stuff off the counter before it does stain.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I'm trying to wrap my head around this slurry mix. I tried sifting out the sand on my counter top mix.......That's a no go.................... I have stucco cement, colorant and the bonding agent I used before applying my stucco, all on hand. ..........The bonding agent is a Vinyl Acetate polymer. I mixed up a test and applied to my test pour, it will fills the holes nicely. Not sure this will work and if I used proper proportions........I don't want to muck this up...............Heading to Lowes for some better ideas. Maybe find some of the ingredients you are all talking about..............Deadline looming
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                    Yes I bought some of that awhile back for my pizza peel and cutting boards on your recommendation, works great on them........... Relatively covered?................ Counters will get rained on almost everyday during our rainy season which begins soon........The screen enclosure may provide a little sun protection at best...........You still think that's enough?.............. I like the idea, sure will be easy enough to apply.
                    My bad! from the pics I was thinking it was glassed in, now I realize it's screened in!

It beads off the water pretty well. You will need to reapply every couple months - but as you say, it's easy - and it's also cheap, and definitely food safe.
                    My build progress

Comment

Bung holes filled and been curing since Monday, regrinding and polishing starts tomorrow.
                      My trip to Lowes turned up no acrylic admixture or solution. I used Quikrete a bonding agent. The ingredient was a acrylic fortifier and the direction said 2:1 with Portland cement for slurry mixture............ I decided to use a Portland non sanded grout with the fortifier and a little colorant......I felt the grout was a better option then just Portland cement (I have always had success with grouting). I hope I made a good choice, but time was ticking towards my next Saturday deadline.......... The bung wholes filled nicely and as the grout began to stiffen, I floated the larger bung wholes with it and filled them completely. I did a test grind the next day, alls seems well. I hope the grout will stay in place.

No luck finding the Miracle 511 porous plus yet, although home depot sells their product it was not listed on the website. I hope I can find it or something similar locally. I don't have any time to wait to for something to be shipped.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Just order the sealer if that's the route you are taking. Did you check to see if the the grout is exterior rated? I've experimented with non sanded grout before. It works ok, but it does shrink a lot, so you will probably end up doing another application to completely fill all the holes. Essentially, grout and thinset are Portland cement with modifiers in it.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                          Just order the sealer if that's the route you are taking. Did you check to see if the the grout is exterior rated? I've experimented with non sanded grout before. It works ok, but it does shrink a lot, so you will probably end up doing another application to completely fill all the holes. Essentially, grout and thinset are Portland cement with modifiers in it.
                          I purchased 511 Impregnator Sealer from home depot.....I think it will do the same job. What do you think? Its got A 20 year guaranteed made by the same manufacture?

Luckily the grout is interior exterior. Good point something I did not consider.
                          Grout pretty much cured and no shrinkage.............yippy I think I'm good to go. Wish me luck on the grinding and polishing
                          Last edited by kbartman; 05-23-2014, 04:19 AM.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
                            I purchase 511 Impregnator Sealer from home depot.....I think it will do the same job. What do you think? Its got A 20 year guaranteed made by the same manufacture?
                            That's what I use for almost everything. Very good sealer.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Finally, I got the counter tops completed, took me forever.

I had to complete the flashing under the vent area floor before I could set the center top. I think it should channel any driving rain from entering the insulation beneath the vent area floor. The flashing allows the water to be channel underneath the countertop and drain away from the insulation.

Still lots to do:
                              Build cabinet doors. The cedar you see on the sides are only temporary. scraps from my buddies' kitchen remodel

Tile back splash, still looking for ideas on tile choices, suggestions appreciated.

Finish chimney extension and touch up painting.

Build oven doors for holding heat and different type of smoking and cooking.

Add flood lighting above oven on screen enclousure.

The list goes on and on
                              Last edited by kbartman; 05-27-2014, 07:52 PM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Looks great, you did a pro looking job with the undermounted sink too.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X