Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Kb,

I bought the anglelizer but I used the software more especially for the arches. On your IT remember that the center of the bolt on the angle brackets needs to be the center of you brick, ie if your brick is 2.5" thick then the center of the bolt that attaches to the IT would be 1.25" from the angle point on the bracket. Hope this makes sense. My build gave me an opportunity to buy somes tools I would probably would of had on the B list. What do they say, person with the most tools win?
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the info Beehiver,

Not sure how 1'' inch offset on my IT may affect things. But if you think I need to change it. I will before I start laying bricks.

With the rain, work on the honey do's. I haven't done much work on the oven.
      Probably won't get much work done this week either. Going to spend some time with the
      family. Spring break starts tomorrow..

Hope my kidding around has not offended anyone. I need everyone’s experience to make this a successful build.

I’m not doing soldier or sailor on the first course due to the debate on their inherent instability. I read some discussion on having the mortar joint at floor level and possibility of cracking or breaking this joint with a pizza peel. So I'm considering shaving off a half inch of the first course, laying them as a header course, (I hope I said this correctly) this would put the mortar joint below the floor. What does every one think? I welcome you comments.

Keep posting guys I need your help.

Thanks,
      Last edited by kbartman; 03-24-2013, 12:18 PM.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

KB,

I would be concerned about the cumulative affect the offset might cause in having the brick face perpendicular to the arc of the dome. Each course will be slightly off being tangent to the arch and by time you do several courses it may cause issues. Looks like the nuts are only tack on anyway, nothing a grinder won't take care of easily. Your choice.
        Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM. Reason: fat fingers
        Russell

Comment

I think that the slight offset will work well if you want a lower dome profile. You'll end up with an elliptical shaped arc with the last course being basically flat. I thought about doing that with my build but ended up going with a form instead in order to get a constant radius. In retrospect, the offset IT would have been easier.

Check out drseward's build for an example of a really nice oven built using this approach
          Last edited by deejayoh; 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
            KB,

I would be concerned about the cumulative affect the offset might cause in having the brick face perpendicular to the arch of the come. Each course will be slightly off being tangent to the arch and by time you do several courses it may cause issues. Looks like the nuts are only tack on anyway, nothing a grinder won't take care of easily. Your choice.
            Ok, Geometry was not my best subject in high school. Believe it or not, but my high school teacher told to go back to my seat and said I should know that by now????????

I had to look up what tangent was. Did you mean arch or arc and dome or come? I?m not sure if it?s a typo or I need to do more studying. Please straighten me out if you may.

I would really like to have a better understanding of all these things I?m still processing the dome sheet calculator.

Unless I can find me a good teacher to improve my geometry skills I will be taking the layman?s approach. Hence the new and improved ?string alignment system?. This will implore a cut to fit approach.

I was thinking of looking for a ?Dome Sheet Calculator for Dummies? This would have eliminated me getting locked up on the soldier course. It would take into account the brick orientation and automatically give the proper names to the course columns. I weren?t sure version 1, would work for my build. But it makes a lot more sense to me now.?? I?m putting out a challenge to those Excel experts and master builders.Those whom are still stuck in side as the snow is falling, as us dummies are fumbling thru are builds in the tropics.

Thanks guys,
            Last edited by kbartman; 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling and added dome calculator version1
            Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thanks, Dee I think you and Beehiver are talking about two different offsets. I understand the offset on the piviot point of the IT. I think B talking about my brick bracket.
              Last edited by kbartman; 03-24-2013, 11:30 AM.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Yippy I just made Laborer............ Can I mix mud now?
                Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  I think that the slight offset will work well if you want a lower dome profile. You'll end up with an elliptical shaped arc with the last course being basically flat. I thought about doing that with my build but ended up going with a form instead in order to get a constant radius. In retrospect, the offset IT would have been easier.

Check out drseward's build for an example of a really nice oven built using this approach
                  Ok.....Sorry guys?? I thought about this a little. ?..You both have a far better understanding about this than I do. Using A offset on either side of the IT would change things. Not calculating anything just using geometry for dummies (playing with my IT). I Think my 1" offset on the pivot point and 1" offset on the brick bracket opposite of one another would cancel each other out??.. Is this a correct deduction?
                  Thanks for the link to drseward's build (Colorado oven)
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

I?m not doing soldier or sailor on the first course due to the debate on their inherent instability. I read some discussion on having the mortar joint at floor level and possibility of cracking or breaking this joint with a pizza peel. So I'm considering shaving off a half inch of the first course, laying them as a header course, (I hope I said this correctly) this would put the mortar joint below the floor. What does every one think? I welcome you comments.

Keep posting guys I need your help.

Thanks,
                    Here is my google sketchup:
                    Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

KB,

Since you seem good at Sketch-up (I am not, old school engineer) lay the offsets, both the floor and the IT bracked and see how it affects your dome shape. I am not sure one cancels the other and may compound the issue.
                      Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 03-25-2013, 10:16 AM.
                      Russell

Comment

I Think my 1" offset on the pivot point and 1" offset on the brick bracket opposite of one another would cancel each other out…….. Is this a correct deduction?
                        Not totally. Hate to get all mathy on you, but if you think about the IT as a triangle that has its 3 points at 1) the center of the dome, 2) the pivot for your IT, and 3)the bottom corner of the brick bracket - then the "true" IT length will be the hypotenuse of that triangle. As you move up the dome and pivot the IT, those three angles are going to change. That means the length of the hypotenuse changes as well. But...

If your string is telling you that it is close, it's probably close enough!

As for dropping the first course to avoid cracks, I would not bother. The weight of the entire dome is sitting on that first course. There is no way you could crack it by hitting it with a peel! Maybe a peel propelled by an 8 lb sledge hammer, but not one you are using for cooking!
                        My build progress

Comment

Thanks Dee,
                          I think I decided not to shave the half inch. I don?t think it worth the hassle. I did get some work done today. Pics attached
                          What do you all feel is the maximum and minimum For the inner arch.
                          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

I see you dialed in how to cut the floor bricks. Nice work
                            Russell

Comment

Nice floor Bartman!

Chris

Comment

What do you all feel is the maximum and minimum For the inner arch.
                                There is a target ratio of arch:dome height which I think is 60-65%. So the answer is, depends on how high you want your dome...

Height: If you are shooting for a perfect hemisphere, then your dome will be 20", and you should shoot for 12 5/8 arch height, more or less.

Width: up to you - again, it depends on design. If you prefer a round arch, then it will probably 25-ish inches wide. An axed arch can be narrower.

Oh, one final thought: Size of your vent opening will drive the size of your flue.
                                Last edited by deejayoh; 03-25-2013, 11:47 PM.
                                My build progress

Comment

Working...
                                X