My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

With oven radius of 19.5" and the 1" offset from pivot point on the IT. I should end up about 18.5” dome height. I’m shooting for oven opening of 19.5” x 12”….I’m still thinking of going with the 8” x 17” x 24” clay flue liner……(standard size stocked at the local masonry supply) I.D. 15.5” x 6.25” flue area of 96.88”. FB plans call for a 8” with a area of about 50”...... I thinking bigger is better...... To a point according to a post I seen...... Not sure what that is...... Should be very little restriction........ I’m thinking of 48” of insulated clay to get out of my screen enclosure, then transitioning smoothly to 8” X 60” stove pipe the additional height....... Alot cheaper than 8" stainless steel all the way .

Ps.Thanks Chris.

Let me know guts what you all think.
    Last edited by kbartman; 03-26-2013, 05:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Respectfully,

KB

My build
    Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

That all sounds good. My only question would be about the height of the flue. What type of enclosure are you planning? 24" is probably ok for an igloo, but won't clear the roof of a doghouse
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
        I?m thinking of 48? of insulated clay to get out of my screen enclosure, then transitioning smoothly to 8? X 60? stove pipe the additional height
        Total flue height.........about 108"
        Last edited by kbartman; 03-26-2013, 12:14 PM.
        Respectfully,

KB

My build
        Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

So I'm going to be making a IT as well, but I figured a way to make sure your dome bricks are on track with some string and a plum bob. If you don't have access to a computer program that can give you the dimensions lay out your dome profile on a piece of cardboard. Then measure from the center of your oven floor out a distance to where the top of your dome brick would be. You can measure that and the height right off your profile. Then just use a plum bob to check your height. That in conjunction with a IT and you should be right on.

Link to my oven build on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujb7lqVcSzQ

Comment

K79,

I am a little confused about what you are talking about with the IT and attached picture of your inner arch.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

There's a lot of talk on the forums about someone's IT not being directly at the center of their oven, especially elevation wise. What I've described is just a way to verify that you're on track. Taking the two measurements I've shown will verify that your brick angle and elevation are both correct.

Comment

Will be interesting to see if this works in the field. So many variables, ie mortar joints, brick dimensions, etc.
                Russell

Comment

Pretty sure he is talking about checking the height of each course, which is good practice to ensure you're on track. And I think the cutaway pic is of the dome, not the entry arch - judging by the brick count.

FWIW, check column J in my spreadsheet, the height of each course is calculated there. You don't really need a plum bob to check it. A tape measure works just fine. The little bit you might be off the vertical by eyeballing it is not going to be significant.

The other trick to stay on level with a course is to put some sort of wedge under your IT that will keep the height constant for each course
                  My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    Pretty sure he is talking about checking the height of each course, which is good practice to ensure you're on track. And I think the cutaway pic is of the dome, not the entry arch - judging by the brick count.

FWIW, check column J in my spreadsheet, the height of each course is calculated there. You don't really need a plum bob to check it. A tape measure works just fine. The little bit you might be off the vertical by eyeballing it is not going to be significant.

The other trick to stay on level with a course is to put some sort of wedge under your IT that will keep the height constant for each course
                    Right its a x section of my dome. Just a way to check the height and makes sure your dome is closing at the right angle as well. The plum bob was just to make it as accurate as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                      Right its a x section of my dome.
                      Dome bricks arent laid in the fashion of an arch as your pic shows.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

ur right, I stand corrected. Still interesting to see if it works in real life versa paper or in this case CAD. Building to dome is such a dynamic process.
                        Russell

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                          Dome bricks arent laid in the fashion of an arch as your pic shows.
                          UMMMM can someone please explain this statement ASAP!! I've designed my whole oven around this design !! Sorry for the Hijack

Comment

Originally posted by K79 View Post
                            UMMMM can someone please explain this statement ASAP!! I've designed my whole oven around this design !! Sorry for the Hijack
                            your design is fine. I think the 6" header courses are confusing people plus, I think often when people do the profile views of the dome, they show the side view with the opening on one side, not the cut-away from the front.
                            Last edited by deejayoh; 03-28-2013, 06:02 PM.
                            My build progress

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                              your design is fine. I think the 6" header courses are confusing people plus, I think often when people do the profile views of the dome, they show the side view with the opening on one side, not the cut-away from the front.
                              Thanks for the reply. I was trying like crazy to figure out what could be wrong.

Comment

I think what Al is saying is that the cross section of the dome is not like an arch with each brick laying squarely on the brick below it. To ensure that the mortar joints don't line up, we stagger each course with the course below it. This effectively reduces the diameter of the oven at each course before we have even angled or tipped the brick inward. It might seem like a negligible factor (and it is in the earlier stages of the build ? maybe less than ?? at each course to start). However as you approach the peak of your dome, the combined loss in diameter will add up to inches on the overall build. Given the mathematical precision to which you aspire, this might seriously mess with your plans.

I don?t remember who said it, but it is worth repeating. Dome construction is an organic process because you are trying to build something approaching a sphere with rectangular (or trapezoidal) blocks. You can plan and scheme to your heart?s content but in the end the variation in your mortar joints, brick cuts and the aforementioned geometry will force some adjustment in your plans as you go.

Ok, maybe Al wasn?t trying to say all that (I think that?s more than 20 of his posts combined). But that is what I thought he was talking about.

Regards,
                                AT

Edit: Here is a Sketch-up of a circumscribed polygon to illustrate what occurs as each course is staggered from the course below it. This is an exagerated example because we use more than 6 bricks on each course but given that each course is really a many faced polygon (each brick represents a single face) the same phenomenon occurs by degree in the actual build.
                                Last edited by ATK406; 03-29-2013, 09:32 AM. Reason: Add a Sketch-up

Comment

Working...
                                X