X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deejayoh
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

I have been mentally toying around with the idea of an inner door with a PID-controlled regulator/fan and two openings in order to use the oven as a smoker/slow cook BBQ. I am not sure it would work, but it would be cool to be able to maintain temps of 200 or so for long periods. Adding an outer door and a damper to that equation seems like it would make it a more complicated task.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Yeah that was tempting because I have all the meters and temp measuring devices too, but I had to force myself to stick to simplicity!
    "Not that theres anything wrong with it"

It will be interesting to see what temps you see at those 3 locations.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    I think this has helped me decide NOT to put one in. What drew me to a WFO originally was the primal simplicity of it.
    It's a brick dome that you build a fire in and cook food with!
    I saw that Gulf had a clever one. I have access to all kinds of dampers, levers and air control devices in my trade so why not put one in?
    Oh GAC,
    Please don't throw the towel in so soon. You have access To all kind of neat toys as myself. Our jobs allow us the opportunity to play a little. If we want primal we can just shut them off. ........... I just added some T\C to my build and hope to do some neat things with them................. Live a little will ya.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

That concept is predicated upon a similar airflow as exists when the oven is in normal operation. That is to say, air is drawn in low, circulates through the oven and exits high. It may well do so, but I do not think it will. Any restriction in the inflow will cause the inflow to be directed directly out the damper and not into the oven.

I may be wrong, but if I am they have been building smokers totally wrong all these years.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

I think this has helped me decide NOT to put one in. What drew me to a WFO originally was the primal simplicity of it.
    It's a brick dome that you build a fire in and cook food with!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    Now I have got my mind around an outer door with a air regulator this clicks in.
    I still maintain though these ovens are self regulating so why muck with something that simply works. I can see this regulation being important for an inside build or an extra long chimney for example. But for a bog standard oven...
    I'm very interested in this conversation though and am definitly keeping an open mind
    Regards

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Agreed Gulf. My notion was that with a damper and control of the air entering the chamber it should be possible (if they are adjusted right) to maintain a slow burning fire on a bank of coals for an extended time. It should be able to be done without a smokey result.

With a slow combustion stove it is possible to get it hot, load it up with thick timber and then once it has caught, restrict both the air intake and damper and that will burn hot and slow for overnight at least.

It should enable the oven to be maintained fully charged for longer.

Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

........ You would have to have a door on the outer arch and damper to stop any airflow........
    If you change the word stop to regulate, then you will have nailed it . I was able to use the damper and an outer arch "blast door" to regulate the temperatures of my oven fairly well during the curing phase. I have also been able to regulate the temperature on a couple of brisket cooks. One had smoldering coals in the oven, the other was a cleaned out, but still, very hot oven. I was trying to keep the brisket between 225 and 250 degrees. In both cases, the oven was considerable bit hotter than what I wanted the cooking temp of the brisket to be. Both turned out pretty well for an experiment. To get the most out of a damper, the oven will definitely need an outer arch door. You wont be controlling the temp of the oven, just the area between the flue entry and the oven entry.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

I see what you are saying now The door is on the inner arch (reveal) and the flue/damper is outside of that airspace anyway. You would have to have a door on the outer arch and damper to stop any airflow.
    Im still in the mindset, thinking about the way my Green Egg and trailered smoker is set up with an air intake and outlet to control heat.
    Gudday
    The WFO with its 63 per cent door to roof height is pretty much self regulating.
    Heat builds up inside, the entrance height lets so much out so more is drawn in at the bottom. With more air drawn in at the bottom more fuel is burnt and the cycle goes on . It's hands off really and the main variable is the wood. Don't feed the fire and things slow down. Stuff the oven to full of wood you restrict the air flow and the process slows and gets smoky and slow. Get it right (easy) and you don't even get any visible smoke.
    Never ceases to amaze me and you'll enjoy the process of starting and maintaining a fire I'm sure
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Once the heat hits the damper, it is already gone from being usable in the oven. All it does is deflect it from the chimney out the outer arch. No possible use, other than deflecting the heat from around the congruent area (the chimney) to an in-congruent area (the face of the oven).
    I see what you are saying now The door is on the inner arch (reveal) and the flue/damper is outside of that airspace anyway. You would have to have a door on the outer arch and damper to stop any airflow.
    Im still in the mindset, thinking about the way my Green Egg and trailered smoker is set up with an air intake and outlet to control heat.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

On Dampers - I don't have one but have given them some thought (there will always be another oven) and with my experience of slow combustion stoves tells me that it should work ok. I reckon that a slide damper at the base of the flue combined with an adjustable vent in the bottom of a door that closes to the outside of the entry (outside the flue) would work. It should enable the fire to be maintained at a slow burn.

I guess it depends on how you want to manage your oven temps.

Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• ATK406
    replied

I don't know what good a damper would do, but I have thought about a heat exchange to capture some of the heat going up the chimney and redirect it down to the front of the oven where I stand. I would only use it a dozen or so times per year, but when it's really cold out, if would be nice to have a little extra heat for me and my guests.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

What is the conventional wisdom on having a damper in the flue? I saw that Gulf had a clever one. I have access to all kinds of dampers, levers and air control devices in my trade so why not put one in? You have an insulated front door on it to hold heat longer after a cook, why not have the option to close the other end?
    Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Because the damper is outside the dome and the door. Several members have them, but I have not figured out the utility since, as stated, they are outside the heated envelope.
    I also fell in love with the thought about dampers and gadgets after seeing Gulf's excellent build. I considered a damper on the flue as well. I'm curios to hear from Gulf on the utility he has found with his............... I'm still considering, but in the interest of speeding my build I left it out of my chimney, I'm thinking of maybe incorporating it in my stainless steel chimney extension\spark arrestor. Although Over dampering on the chimney could cause smoke to come out the front of the vent area's outside door............... I thinking some type of temperature\damper controller might work better work on the inside oven door.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Once the heat hits the damper, it is already gone from being usable in the oven. All it does is deflect it from the chimney out the outer arch. No possible use, other than deflecting the heat from around the congruent area (the chimney) to an in-congruent area (the face of the oven).

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

If heat rises, and the damper is open, then heat loss will occur. I realize the front may have a door but it may leak enough to allow air to flow thru the system.

This may be one of those things that we over-think. I doubt I will need all that heat stored away that I couldnt add back in with a log or two but still I may add one in if its fairly simple.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X