42" build in Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" build in Central Texas

More progress on the Dome. Im going to try to cork it today or tomorrow as I have Knee surgery on Wednesday. Should be an easy quick recovery and back at it.
    Gotta get 25 more bricks and a another bag of Heat Stop Mortar today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130912_104051.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	718.5 KB
ID:	297305

Name:	20130912_170641.jpg
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	297306

Name:	20130912_174527.jpg
Size:	908.3 KB
ID:	297307

Name:	20130912_185745.jpg
Size:	938.2 KB
ID:	297308

Name:	20130912_190248.jpg
Size:	760.3 KB
ID:	297309

Name:	Dogloo-house1.gif
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	297310
    My build documentary page:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Very nice work, especially the pooch house LOL
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Finished the Dome today. Had to buy a few more bricks from MPI. Looks like about 250 is what I will end up using. Still have front arch and vent to do. Not happy about a few joints lining up but I just could'nt see after all of the mortar on the small pieces. Keystone took a while to get a good fit. It didnt drop in as far as I hoped but was a good tight fit. It was a good feeling dropping in that last course and key!

Name:	20130913_154922.jpg
Size:	846.8 KB
ID:	297328

Name:	20130913_163326.jpg
Size:	840.5 KB
ID:	297329

Name:	20130913_170019.jpg
Size:	630.4 KB
ID:	297330

Name:	20130913_170552.jpg
Size:	811.3 KB
ID:	297331

Name:	20130913_173643.jpg
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	297332

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Well done. You really put it together fast. Love those shots of the inside of the dome and the arch transition. You'll be glad you took those pictures now because it'll never look like that again (at least while you can put your head or camera inside...too bloody hot). Congratulations.

Comment

Broke out the big camera and fisheye lens this AM!

Name:	WFO-1.jpg
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	297333

Name:	WFO-3.jpg
Size:	646.9 KB
ID:	297334

Name:	WFO-6.jpg
Size:	547.7 KB
ID:	297335

Comment

Congraulations Job well done. I too am very impressed with the speed that has brought you to this point. You also will soon be yet another that has passed me by,........... keep up the good work. Look forward to watching your continued progress.

When do you plan to start your curing fires? Do you plan on curing it with insulation on or off?

I hope to start my curing fire on Monday. I have given the oven and vent time to air cure, now I think ready. I think I want to cure it with the insulation on, so maybe Tuesday.
              Respectfully,

KB

My build
              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks KB, I m not even thinking about fire at this point. The second arch with the Flare is looming and I am having Arthroscopic Knee surgery next week, followed by trip to the Netherlands a couple weeks after that. Things may slow a bit here. I do tend to obsess on a project and drop everything else around me. I have done that here .

This morning I covered the outside with a premixed refractory cement to clean up the outside of the dome. Its called #36 Refractory Cement. (Tscar said I could) This stuff was a pain, very thick and dense. 3 hrs later it was done. trying to keep it damp in 100 temps.....

Name:	refractory mortar.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	297339

Name:	cladding.jpg
Size:	589.3 KB
ID:	297340

A friend doing Missionary work in Paraguay just sent me this pic on Facebook just now.
                Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-15-2013, 04:51 AM.

Comment

Gudday
                  Sorry to break this to you. Major operations, trips away ... These will not cure you. That oven will sit...patiently. It will not go away!
                  Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

They're always there...sitting....waiting....watching...knowing.. .

Like the shot looking back at you, but why go to all the trouble of knocking the bricks out at the back of the oven just for a photo after all that hard work! tsk..tsk...

Nice work sir, and i hope the surgery goes well.

Comment

What is the conventional wisdom on having a damper in the flue? I saw that Gulf had a clever one. I have access to all kinds of dampers, levers and air control devices in my trade so why not put one in? You have an insulated front door on it to hold heat longer after a cook, why not have the option to close the other end?
                      Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-15-2013, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Because the damper is outside the dome and the door. Several members have them, but I have not figured out the utility since, as stated, they are outside the heated envelope.

Comment

If heat rises, and the damper is open, then heat loss will occur. I realize the front may have a door but it may leak enough to allow air to flow thru the system.

This may be one of those things that we over-think. I doubt I will need all that heat stored away that I couldnt add back in with a log or two but still I may add one in if its fairly simple.

Comment

Once the heat hits the damper, it is already gone from being usable in the oven. All it does is deflect it from the chimney out the outer arch. No possible use, other than deflecting the heat from around the congruent area (the chimney) to an in-congruent area (the face of the oven).

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                              What is the conventional wisdom on having a damper in the flue? I saw that Gulf had a clever one. I have access to all kinds of dampers, levers and air control devices in my trade so why not put one in? You have an insulated front door on it to hold heat longer after a cook, why not have the option to close the other end?
                              Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                              Because the damper is outside the dome and the door. Several members have them, but I have not figured out the utility since, as stated, they are outside the heated envelope.
                              I also fell in love with the thought about dampers and gadgets after seeing Gulf's excellent build. I considered a damper on the flue as well. I'm curios to hear from Gulf on the utility he has found with his............... I'm still considering, but in the interest of speeding my build I left it out of my chimney, I'm thinking of maybe incorporating it in my stainless steel chimney extension\spark arrestor. Although Over dampering on the chimney could cause smoke to come out the front of the vent area's outside door............... I thinking some type of temperature\damper controller might work better work on the inside oven door.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build
                              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I don't know what good a damper would do, but I have thought about a heat exchange to capture some of the heat going up the chimney and redirect it down to the front of the oven where I stand. I would only use it a dozen or so times per year, but when it's really cold out, if would be nice to have a little extra heat for me and my guests.

Comment

Working...
                                X