42" build in Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Yikes! We don't have many snakes where I live in Arizona but I have to wear gloves when working on the WFO because there seems to be a scorpion under anything I leave on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyungle View Post
      Yikes! We don't have many snakes where I live in Arizona but I have to wear gloves when working on the WFO because there seems to be a scorpion under anything I leave on the ground.
      I feel blessed the scariest thing that crawls out from under my oven is an. Occasional chipmunk
      Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
        I feel blessed the scariest thing that crawls out from under my oven is an. Occasional chipmunk
        That was me in CT, but down here in SC there are spiders everywhere. We had the house and shed sprayed, but last week I was doing the stone flip, checking for creepy crawlies, and saw a couple huge black widows. I won't be storing any wood or anything in the vault....never planned to, but those widows sealed the deal.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Yes that is why mine is small and isolated from the rest of the structure. Too many bugs.

Comment

Got the vent and outer arch up today. Feel pretty good about it.

First off I want to say how much I like the Heat Stop 50 Mortar. I see photos of some of you guys having to support your dome bricks with all kinds of stilts and contraptions, waiting a long time before moving on. I never had to wait more that a few minutes before I could remove support or move on to the next brick. This stuff sets up quick if I mix it dry OR I can spray it down wetter if I want more slip.
            Anyway, just wanted to run a couple things by. Do you think this is enough vent area to draw up into my 8" SSDW pipe? Its 4.5" x 12" free and clear.
            Also I wish I had taken the outer arch apex a bit lower than I did, just for aesthetics. I wanted a reveal of course but I wanted to be able to get a door in and out without a struggle. See any issue here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130923_153430.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	297529

Name:	20130923_152919.jpg
Size:	924.6 KB
ID:	297530

Name:	20130923_152844.jpg
Size:	811.5 KB
ID:	297531

Name:	20130923_152812.jpg
Size:	920.9 KB
ID:	297532
            Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-24-2013, 05:13 AM. Reason: "HEAT Stop", not Fire Stop!
            My build documentary page:
            https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

That looks great. The flue should be plenty big. IIRC, the area of the 8" pipe is about 50" and your opening is 54" so it should flow just fine.

As far as creepy crawlies go - we're pretty good up here except for the hobo spiders that like to hide in the woodpile.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post

First off I want to say how much I like the Firestop 50 Mortar. I see photos of some of you guys having to support your dome bricks with all kinds of stilts and contraptions, waiting a long time before moving on. I never had to wait more that a few minutes before I could remove support or move on to the next brick. This stuff sets up quick if I mix it dry OR I can spray it down wetter if I want more slip.
                Anyway, just wanted to run a couple things bky. Do you think this is enough vent area to draw up into my 8" SSDW pipe? Its 4.5" x 12" free and clear.
                Also I wish I had taken the outer arch apex a bit lower than I did, just for aesthetics. I wanted a reveal of course but I wanted to be able to get a door in and out without a struggle. See any issue here?

[ATTACH]39111[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39112[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39113[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39114[/ATTACH]
                Gudday
                It's good to hear some positive and detailed comments on how to work with heatstop mortar. I take inboard your comment on working times and the mist of water to give you slip.
                You can't go wrong with an 8 in chimney. These ovens breath quite well without, but adding a chimney saves on eyebrows so it must be big enough like yours to work at keeping the smoke and heat away
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post

First off I want to say how much I like the Firestop 50 Mortar. I see photos of some of you guys having to support your dome bricks with all kinds of stilts and contraptions, waiting a long time before moving on. I never had to wait more that a few minutes before I could remove support or move on to the next brick. This stuff sets up quick if I mix it dry OR I can spray it down wetter if I want more slip.
                  Anyway, just wanted to run a couple things by. Do you think this is enough vent area to draw up into my 8" SSDW pipe? Its 4.5" x 12" free and clear.
                  I have built four ovens using HS 50 and my current one and a bunch of historic beehive ovens with fire clay mortar. The heat stop does grab a bit faster, but it's pricey. I don't use forms for building the dome until the last 3 courses, then it is a quarter form that freely moves. If you don't saturate the brick, you won't have falling brick....even the fire clay mortar grabs very well.

As far as your vent opening, it should be fine, although I would have went a bit wider for a 42". And with your flared entry, you should have no problems removing or placing your door...you might want to make it a shade smaller ( 1/4") than your reveal so it doesn't catch.
                  Last edited by stonecutter; 09-24-2013, 05:06 AM. Reason: reword
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Very Cool website Stonecutter! Beautiful Veneer on the Fireplace. Ive always loved the Mayan and Machu Picchu styles
                    Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-24-2013, 09:07 AM.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Very nice looking oven so far, wish i'd live in a warmer climate right now. Weather has dramatically changed to colder degrees.

Comment

Thanks! That was a fun project.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Got the vent completed this afternoon. I used Split bricks to finish up, very EZ to work with. Now that Im done with Firebrick I'll be moving on the Hearth to get it up to grade for Granite or whatever I come up with. Suggestions welcome.....
                          Then, I guess Insulation and structure.
                          How many boxes of 1" 50sq-ft Insulating Blanket will I need to get at least 3"? I have almost 2 full boxes now.

Name:	20130928_111102.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	297606

Name:	20130927_180948.jpg
Size:	923.8 KB
ID:	297607

Name:	20130927_180959.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	297608

Name:	20130928_103020.jpg
Size:	895.9 KB
ID:	297609

Name:	20130928_103046.jpg
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	297610
                          Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-28-2013, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Check out my resident OWL whoooo lives right above the WFO. I put up an Owl box about 3 years ago and earlier this year one finally appeared!
                            Its an Eastern Screech Owl.
                            I have gotten some cool photos of her from my bathroom window which is about 10 feet from the box.

Name:	Owl-3-5.jpg
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	297590

Comment

striking eyes
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

They're beautiful animals, your lucky to have one that close to your house

Their call is very haunting, i picture them in a dim and cold graveyard at night.

Got to love nature's own way of dealing with disguise:

Portrait of an Eastern Screech Owl - Traveler Photo Contest 2013 - National Geographic

Comment

Working...
                                X