• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    That is the inner arch. The flue arch is not there yet no place else for the smoke to go. Just my observation.
    Ah, yes. I see now.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday GarnerAC
    Sounds like your pizza night, has turned out better than you expected. It's seems everyone loves pizza out if one if these ovens and you always have the satisfaction of knowing that you built it yourself!
    I've deleted that post before , sorry I realized I was rude to carry out a cross conversation over your own
    Again congratulations!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I see from your album you visited Pieous. Did you talk to Josh? He really has it going on out in Dripping. You should also go visit Steven at Bufalina on the East side, he is currently the king of Neapolitano in Central Texas, and a nice guy to boot.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I had the pleasure of visiting today, and it is a lovely oven. When you get the brick wrap and roof on it it will be outstanding. You are well on your way to Neapolitano pizza as well. This is your goal (all it takes is heat and slavish devotion to your dough (not my pizza, it is the Master, TXCraig's)):
    Thanks for making a celebrity appearance and giving me some good advice Tom! I learned several things:
    • every 3 or so pizzas, drag some coals over the floor
    • put some flour on the peel to make the Pizza move better
    • keep a good flame going, not only for the radiant heat but for LIGHT
    • Occasionally(after coal drag) slap the floor w the peel to clear ash out
    • What a "Jack arch" is

Here's one pic but several more from last night (including a couple w Tom) in my Picasa page (see below).
    Woke up this AM with about 30 Facebook pics and notifications from friends that were there!

We had cooked 15 various Pizzas when things finally slowed down so I put my foil covered temp door on and then about 15 minutes later more people showed up! I removed the door, threw on a few hickory slats and still had enough dough left to cook 3 more! So,,,, 2 ended up being Cinammon/Sugar/Butter/Apple things which were great too!

from everyones comments and expression, this will be a great asset to us. We have alot of church friends and love to do outdoor entertainment. thanks for everybodys help here!
    BTW, It's 400 degrees in there this AM

Serial# 000000001:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3244-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	302481
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-16-2013, 07:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Dave,

That's a lot of heavy soot on your outer arch, are you overloading your chamber or is your flue inadequate?
    That is the inner arch. The flue arch is not there yet no place else for the smoke to go. Just my observation.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Wrap you temporary door in aluminium foil. It goes a long way to protecting from the heat. If it gets tacky and falls off ....how cares its a temporary door, it just has to work once to be useful
    regards Dave

[ATTACH]40176[/ATTACH]
    Dave,

That's a lot of heavy soot on your outer arch, are you overloading your chamber or is your flue inadequate?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I had the pleasure of visiting today, and it is a lovely oven. When you get the brick wrap and roof on it it will be outstanding. You are well on your way to Neapolitano pizza as well. This is your goal (all it takes is heat and slavish devotion to your dough (not my pizza, it is the Master, TXCraig's)):

edit: Those are those little oil cups, Vermont smoked I told you about.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Yes please! Ill shoot you an email tonite.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It looks like your brick will be in on Friday, do you want me to bring it down and check out your rig Friday afternoon?

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Wrap you temporary door in aluminium foil. It goes a long way to protecting from the heat. If it gets tacky and falls off ....how cares its a temporary door, it just has to work once to be useful
    regards Dave

[ATTACH]40176[/ATTACH]
    I think thats what I'll do Dave, wrap the crap out of a piece of CFB and my plywood template w HD foil.
    I just drew out plans for what I want to do w the door and it will take me a while. Im going to use a Rutland gasket around the outside. I know its not "food rated" but Ive used these on my BGE for years with good luck.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday
    regards Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	doors 003.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	302439

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Nice arch kbart! As much insulation as I put on this thing it oughta hold heat til Spring! So, maybe I'll build me a temporary insulated door today similar to that and have a bird ready to put in on Sunday AM. It got really cold (33) last night and we'll be swamped today but I'll make time before friday.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    Good idea. I havent built a door yet but thinking about it. Maybe ill cut apiece of Ceramic board that i will eventually use in my door as a temporary door. Was thinking about a water soaked piece of plywood but no. Thanks Stoner
    GC,
    I'm using a scrap piece of Hardie board screwed a piece of plywood, does great. Oven temp 325F after Cooking the yard bird on Sunday. I was only using the cement board at first but broke a couple. They become very brittle with the heat. The plywood gives some support. The plywood shows no signs of getting to hot.
    Plan on throwing some bacon in this morning. Been cooking all week on Sunday's fire. Eventually I get around to a nice insulated door.
    Last edited by kbartman; 11-13-2013, 05:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    .... Thanks Stoner
    I wish I had a dollar every time I've heard that. You're welcome, tin-knocker.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Wont be wasted if you have an insulated door. Or block it up with left over insulation and brick....
    Good idea. I havent built a door yet but thinking about it. Maybe ill cut apiece of Ceramic board that i will eventually use in my door as a temporary door. Was thinking about a water soaked piece of plywood but no. Thanks Stoner

Leave a comment:

Working...
X