X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirassou
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

That's so coincidental. I just took an 8 point buck last weekend just outside my fence.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    Where's the crosshairs.........................He would go have well on Turkey day, cooked in your new WFO.
    Never took a liking to Venison, or Deer hunting for that matter. If Venison were so great, why is everyone trying to give it away this time of year??

I do like Deer Jerky though!

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    People always tell me "you must have a really good camera!"

[ATTACH]40346[/ATTACH]
    Where's the crosshairs.........................He would go well on Turkey day, cooked in your new WFO.
    Last edited by kbartman; 11-25-2013, 10:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Beautiful photo!

Great depth of field, foreground fraiming.............You must be a photographer .
    People always tell me "you must have a really good camera!"

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3709.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	419.3 KB
ID:	302593

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Beautiful photo!

Great depth of field, foreground fraiming.............You must be a photographer .

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Check out this Buck that followed up a Doe through my Backyard this morning

Name:	IMG_3677.jpg
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	302592

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

That sounds nice. Looking forward to seeing that.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    As long as the rain or drizzle is not soaking the brick, cool, grey and misty days are the best for tuck pointing...if you are so inclined.

Are you building your outer arch with a type sandstone ( or limestone)? I see what appears to be a couple pieces of it your table.
    Once it is dry and theres no north wind I'll resume. Im only at about 50% with the brick and I may end up removing a few pieces and improving a section Im not happy with. I have some 1/4 and 1/8 bricks in a section that I want to get rid of by trimming a few full length pieces back. I may leave a couple but there is one section that has about 6, its near the back but.... I'll see them.

On the arch I think Im going to use some longer randomly shaped 10-12" limestone cream/lite-reddish/brown colored flags that should tie in with my home stone. My current plan is to cut them close enough together so that I wont have to tuck them. And,,, I want them to go down and hide my Fire Brick outer arch.
    As for now, I just fired up the Pellet Stove and am about to cook breakfast for the Fab Fam!

Remember: Any creative suggestions and critiques are welcome.
    #masonhack

Name:	20131123_071215.jpg
Size:	845.9 KB
ID:	302591

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

As long as the rain or drizzle is not soaking the brick, cool, grey and misty days are the best for tuck pointing...if you are so inclined.

Are you building your outer arch with a type sandstone ( or limestone)? I see what appears to be a couple pieces of it your table.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Progress update: Very little progress. It's cold, it's raining and its just gonna have to wait. So, while I have some downtime, I'll plan my decorative arch and ponder a few other details. Tom delivered Sand and Ivory cream type S,,, and let me borrow a couple pointers, a joint tool and a Hawk. He explained the technique and Im stoked to do it.... Just not stoked enough to do it it the nasty weather. I think I know what Im going to do on the deco-arch and it involves flagstones.

Name:	2012F350-1.jpg
Size:	843.0 KB
ID:	302578

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

I like the Ivory Cream too. Part of me likes the Mexican Mud but i like the look of these bricks and it hides too much of them. Something close to that will be fine.

Can you bring the mortar this afternoon?? I was just across from the south store this morning, at one of my supply houses,, they had about 4 trucks getting loaded

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Ivory cream matches the old Alamo (before they built a new plant and quarries) pretty well. It was the most common cement in Central Texas for 100 years, so I have to match it a lot.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Pretty close T, though IMO, a tooled look is too formal for his brick. It's hard to tell, but the joints in the second pic look they were finished with a slicker, rather than raked back. I see a small thin ridge of mortar along the edge of some of the brick and what looks like an indented center.

What I was visualizing was more like a cross between that and the last pic, except the joint isn't flushed out to the edge. It produces a weathered look when brushed...I did it with my antique brick corners. It replicates old weathered joints you see on historic buildings, which used those type of brick. The finish in the last pic would look great as well ( flushed ) with irregular joint spaces. It looks like a brush finish to me.

The color of the mortar in the last pic would look dynamite with the brick too. One vote ( from the peanut gallery) for ivory cream

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

The first is full joints with white mud, the second is smeared with Mexican mud of unknown type, the third is the raked joints I think Stone cutter was talking about and the forth is ivory cream cement.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

I just picked up all tools and threw up a couple tarps as it is misting. I think the rain wasnt supposed to be here til Friday afternoon. Be glad when it's dried in.

edit:
    This is what Eldorado shows as a sample. I think my brick is considerably darker brown than shown here and with more black.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	302561

Here are a couple that I like, Are these considered White? Ivory? Grey?

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	302559

Name:	depositphotos_5612134-Pizza-Margherita.jpg
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	302560
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-21-2013, 05:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X