X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GarnerAC
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Doh! and I had me a real nice MPI masonry bag too Stoner!
    As far as color, I hadnt really given it ALOT of thought. Just was going to use the standard Grey,, maybe a lighter grey. White seems to be a bit dramatic and from yesterday's start-up with White thinset, it sure seems tough to keep off the face and once it was on there it wasn't coming off!
    Please come by if you have time,,, I'll try to get some done on the back-side so we can experiment. My joints are varying from 1/4" to 1/2" as this brick is purposefully inconsistent.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Hahaha...I have strong opinions for sure, especially when it comes to anything masonry related. I am not trying to be argumentative at all. Opinionated...guilty as charged.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Oooh. Masonry argument.

Gets popcorn

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    It looks real nice, but I disagree with raking the joints, those old raggedy brick want filled and smeared joints.
    When I suggested raked back, it doesn't mean in the true sense of the word... just enough to show the edge ( not literally 3/16") like what time does to antique mortar.

But smeared joints? Urg....why make it look like an amateur pointed the wall with a dead cat or a hack repair job? I will never personally buy into the idea that sloppy joint work = old looking......big disagree there.

That's not the point though, it doesn't really matter worth a darn what I or anyone else thinks, except Garner...it's his oven after all.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 11-20-2013, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I put the hawk, some tuckpointers and a bag in the truck.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I wouldn't use a bag at all. 95% of it is horizontal and it is faster and neater to tuck it off a hawk. If you need to borrow a hawk and some tuckpointers, let me know. If it isn't raining tomorrow, I will stop by and show you the technique.

It looks real nice, but I disagree with raking the joints, those old raggedy brick want filled and smeared joints. Are you going with white, grey or colored? I have an ivory colored masonry cement that looks like the old Alamo cement, if you know what that looks like.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I really like that look Garner. If it was mine I would tuck it with lime mortar or white Type N mortar, then rake it back about 3/16" and finally brush finish. That would replicate old joint work nicely.

Your pointing mix should not be as loose as your thin set. It should stay together when you squeeze it in your hand...a bit like dry clay.

If you use a loose mix and slob it all over those nice brick with a grout bag, I'm putting you on my ignore list.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Progress report:
    Started the brick veneer yesterday and worked off and on today. This is a great product, easy to install and looks beautiful. It's made by Eldorado.
    With Tom's help with design on the Jack Arch, it will add and interesting element. If I can keep a straight line the rest should go smoothly. Although I am a little nervous about grouting it. That could make or break the look Im going for. I'll start that in the back!

The reason for the white thinset is because thats all HD had at the time and I didnt think it would matter, BUT, if you get any on the face of brick it wont come off so I went back and got gray this morning. Also, I started out spreading it like thinset usually is spread, with a notch trowel, until it was pointed out that I can just butter the brick and stick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131119_171214.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	302552

Name:	20131120_094330.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	302553

Name:	20131120_094408.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	302554

Name:	20131120_104850.jpg
Size:	967.6 KB
ID:	302555

Name:	20131015_115318.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	302556
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Sorry I missed you, I got there right after you left. Here is a the jack arch, 4J is the style I would recommend. One full and one 1/2 should give you enough to cover the full 17" over the angle. Hold one pair up there and establish the skew to fit. I would also recommend cutting the top and bottom parallel to angle iron once you have the skew set.

edit-- The link would help:

http://www.archwaysysteminc.com/jackarch_standard.htm
    Last edited by Tscarborough; 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

276 degrees, 80 plus hours after shutdown

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

That is a great reading, well done.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

328 degrees 62 hours later! Yea Insulation!
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

He and Steven at Bufalina both make a sourdough, that is what gives it all those tiny spots, and that is exactly the look they are going for.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I see from your album you visited Pieous. Did you talk to Josh? He really has it going on out in Dripping. You should also go visit Steven at Bufalina on the East side, he is currently the king of Neapolitano in Central Texas, and a nice guy to boot.
    Yeah I saw him workin the dough busy-busy, i didnt bother him but watched their cook flow and they can really knock them out. Great business model! Their dough is very good but a little strange, lots of almost carbonized (black) bubbles with lighter more properly cooked areas between.
    Never heard of Bufalina, will investigate.

Temp info so far:
    Morning after Pizza- 490 degrees
    24 hours after-400 "on the nose"
    36 hours (This morning)- 370
    40 hours later (this afternoon) 350 (cooked some stuffed Salmon)
    Crazy heat retention but this thing is insulated to the hilt/

Name:	20131019_115826.jpg
Size:	839.4 KB
ID:	302506

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Ah, yes. I see now.
    That is OK, sometimes my wife says I have an incredible grasp on the obvious... But if it gets more complicated I am out of luck.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X