X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Kind of like getting the first door ding on a new car. Like Dave says, soot will soften the look, it just looks worst with the contrast right now. Pizza and food will taste the same.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day
    Recon you only feel bad because it looks raw. A bit of smoke staining will soften that up and you'll never know
    Regards dave
    Thanks Mate!

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    Recon you only feel bad because it looks raw. A bit of smoke staining will soften that up and you'll never know
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post
    You build has turned out to be another one of the superb builds on the FB, It deserves a mention on the treasure trove list. The tapers should help with your draft, once it all black with smoke, no one will ever notice the mistake except you. They will only notice the ones we point out.

I use a charcoal chimney starter set in the vent area which heats up the flue well. After the charcoal or wood is going good, I pour them on the oven floor and add wood. Works good, although on windy days I have had some smoke coming out of the front till the fire got going good. I guess this is down side of going with a larger flue (I have a 9" X 18 " flue opening). I've only seen a few build that lack smoke stains. The perfect flue design still eludes most of us.

I'm sure we will enjoy many year of fun and enjoyment, smoke stains or not.
    Thanks KB, That makes me feel better

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    Trying to cut square with a round wheel, I dug into my reveal a bit .......... I can fix it but Im very irritated!
    You build has turned out to be another one of the superb builds on the FB, It deserves a mention on the treasure trove list. The tapers should help with your draft, once it all black with smoke, no one will ever notice the mistake except you. They will only notice the ones we point out.

I use a charcoal chimney starter set in the vent area which heats up the flue well. After the charcoal or wood is going good, I pour them on the oven floor and add wood. Works good, although on windy days I have had some smoke coming out of the front till the fire got going good. I guess this is down side of going with a larger flue (I have a 9" X 18 " flue opening). I've only seen a few build that lack smoke stains. The perfect flue design still eludes most of us.

I'm sure we will enjoy many year of fun and enjoyment, smoke stains or not.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Garner,
    The preheat works! I've seen it work many times over the years in fireplaces. In more recent years, my oven. Masonry chimneys can cool down over a few days. In the south, where we live, it is not uncommon to have temps in the 30's at night and 70's by afternoon. The masonry inside your chimney wont warm up as fast as the ambient air. The cooler air inside your chimney will naturally fall out of the entrance of your oven. That is the reverse of what you want. I would do as Stonecutter advises before breaking out the grinder. Preheating cures a lot of problems
    Yeah, I recall you telling me this before Gulf and I think I just forgot to do it. Ive only fired it 4 times beleive it or not... I did however break out the grinder today. I gave it a little taper on either side. I made a dumb mistake while doing it, not realizing exactly where ALL of my blade was at all times. Trying to cut square with a round wheel, I dug into my reveal a bit . I can fix it but Im very irritated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140415_171730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	818.2 KB
ID:	303956

Name:	20140415_171741.jpg
Size:	659.4 KB
ID:	303957

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    I would grind it too, that throat looks small for a 42"...it certainly won't hurt anything. Try the flue preheat too, you might be surprised
    Garner,
    The preheat works! I've seen it work many times over the years in fireplaces. In more recent years, my oven. Masonry chimneys can cool down over a few days. In the south, where we live, it is not uncommon to have temps in the 30's at night and 70's by afternoon. The masonry inside your chimney wont warm up as fast as the ambient air. The cooler air inside your chimney will naturally fall out of the entrance of your oven. That is the reverse of what you want. I would do as Stonecutter advises before breaking out the grinder. Preheating cures a lot of problems

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I would grind it too, that throat looks small for a 42"...it certainly won't hurt anything. Try the flue preheat too, you might be surprised

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Have you tried a lit roll of twisted newspaper in the throat opening before you light your kindling? That metal transition and flue will heat up fast and it may be all you need to stop the blow-by.
    Well, no I havent tried it since I installed the 8" extension/flashing. The Cap has a spark arrestor screen and seems to drag my airflow down. I think I'll grind it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Have you tried a lit roll of twisted newspaper in the throat opening before you light your kindling? That metal transition and flue will heat up fast and it may be all you need to stop the blow-by.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

What you are proposing will not compromise the arch integrity at all. Grind away.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

It may help a little, but I'm not sure it will stop the problem completely. What is your heat up sequence?
    I use split Post Oak or Live Oak and stagger logs with smaller kindling underneath using a blowtorch (Pear burner) to ignite. It's smoky until it get it really hot. The majority of the thick smoke draws right out but 10-20% will come out front until oven is HOT. Im just thinking that if I provide a bit more taper that maybe only 5-10% will come out front on startup. My main concern is structural if I carve out that one split brick. A smoke stained front is not the end of the world for me, its a WFO! and WFO's make smoke. Just my nature to tweak I guess!

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

You'll never get the soot marks off the bricks, but if you tile the front of the arch using glossy tiles, they come clean easily with some damp newspaper. If your oven were mine, I'd also be attacking it with the angle grinder as you suggest.
    New or wet ovens are notorious for being smoky, your problem may go away when the oven is really dry.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

It may help a little, but I'm not sure it will stop the problem completely. What is your heat up sequence?

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Starting to get some smoke on my outer (deco) arch. Do you think that now that now that I have that cap on it's slowing down my draft? i think it is and I think maybe I went a tad small on my draft opening. Thinking about getting the diamond blade out for some tweaking (see pic). Thoughts??? (That is pic #190 in my Picasa album if you want to see contextual photos)

Name:	20130923_153430.jpg
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	303951

Name:	20130923_153430.jpg
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	303951
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 04-15-2014, 05:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X