X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mirassou
    replied
    Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Doesn't look like it'll interfere with the cooking area!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I have a bunch of PAR30 can lights in my home that I am looking to convert to LED. They briefly had bulbs for $10 after rebate at costco, but I thought about it and missed the deal!

Do you have enough depth for those cans? I had to buy specialty units. Also - looks like that is an "old work"/remodel style can-light. You'll save money with "new work" model and they will be more secure than those.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 10-22-2013, 03:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

These will fit in the soffet:

Lithonia Lighting 3 in. Recessed Oil Rubbed Bronze Gimbals LED Lighting Kit-LK3GORB LED LPI M6 at The Home Depot
    Anyone gone deep into LED lighting at home or office? I have converted about 1/3 of mine. I hate changing/shopping for and storing all the different bulbs that I have at both home and office so we are hoping this technology is good for a few years of duty
    Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-22-2013, 12:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I would be hitting that for sure. Looking great so far.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Ah yes - the head banger! I forget, but I had to work around that too and ended up making my roof higher/flatter because I wanted to have head clearance at the corners.

You can probably come out as far as your counter top without any issues.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

I see what you guys are saying but if you see how low the roof comes down, Im afraid it would be in the way or be a head-banger. Maybe I need to get my lights and work off of that dimension. Here is how its sits right now:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131022_123912.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	297991

Name:	20131022_123851.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	297992

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I built the front eave long as well, both to keep water out of the oven and the wood storage area.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

You might want to allow for more room in the front for the lights. They're typically 5" or so for the housing even if you use the small down lights. With trim and fascia and so forth, at 8" you will run out of space pretty quickly. Plus the lights will be right next to the front of your oven housing, so you will end up with wall washers, not task lighting.

I went with a much deeper eave @ 18" because we get so much rain here - but I'd say 12" is minimum. I also used some lights that I could aim/rotate - which is a nice feature.

for reference, here's a picture of the lights installed in mine

Name:	2013-10-22 10.29.12.jpg
Size:	730.2 KB
ID:	297990

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Looking good. You've made really quick progress on that oven.

Are you going to have an overhang on the roof? Useful for lighting in the eaves, IMHO.
    Yes, 8" overhang front and rear. Going to have 4 LED recess lights within soffet. Trying to figure out where to put switch. I may have this puppy finished by Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looking good. You've made really quick progress on that oven.

Are you going to have an overhang on the roof? Useful for lighting in the eaves, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

Just an update as to where Im at.....
    Nothing to see here,,, move along

Name:	20130806_131548.jpg
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	297989

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Garner..dry out the oven before enclosing..no vent needed.

Dave..I use mineral wool for all my builds except one. Very pleased with it. Strange they call fiberglass insulation rockwool, since only mineral wool is the one made from basalt.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 10-18-2013, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
    Dave, rockwool (mineral wool) is different than fiberglass and works great. It is made from basalt, a very hard igneous stone and mineral wool can withstand temperatures exceeding 2000*.
    Gudday stonecutter
    Yes I know (now) what rockwool is but what I have is fiberglass insulation sold under the name of rockwool . Different parts of the world do have differing names
    At first , of course I was worried, but I cut a section out of the oven dome and took some temp readings.
    It was cool enough for the Fiberglass.
    If you go to the " introductions" section "Hi new Aussie" you will find my investigations. They really show have effective ceramic insulation is.
    For my money I would now use "rockwool" insulation it's local available and cheaper than ceramic .
    I would also rate it above pearlite/cement in ease to use and not introducing more water to dry out of your build.

Leave a comment:

• GarnerAC
    replied

I dont plan on this getting wet other than humidity from normal Texas days. The enclosure will be sealed up so where would any moisture go anyway?? Am I supposed to vent the enclosure?

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Dave, rockwool (mineral wool) is different than fiberglass and works great. It is made from basalt, a very hard igneous stone and mineral wool can withstand temperatures exceeding 2000*.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X