Somewhere in the slumering suburbs of Stockholm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Somewhere in the slumering suburbs of Stockholm

Wow! looks good! One thing I have noticed, you will either need a insulated door on the oven it self, or, You will need a damper [flue] on you exhaust...Thats the part I told you to look at Gulf's or Brickie's builds... they have insulative dampers..... So, when you shut the door the heat won't just go up the exhaust stack, or leak ...adjust the damper and "smoke" as well..If you want to hold heat or bake....Might add some buttress to the outside of your arch columns as well..Out side pressure, need mass to hold....How are you going to finish it?
    Last edited by thickstrings; 08-24-2013, 05:53 PM.
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

All wine is good, some better than others. It sounds like you have the right kind of bug to get right into oven building. Go hard and get right into it. Your plans look like you are on the right track.

Enjoy the experience.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

First of all, thanks for the commendations tickstrings and Greenman.
        Yeah, i might really be on to something.

No fish was caught on sunday. I didn't have the time to fish even though i brought the rod. This might be my own fault. We had a wonderful day. Probably the best day of the summer. Me, my dad and my mum wen't on a bike ride. I have discovered this new place in my near surroundings. Through two Nature Reserves, there is this really nice place. I'll have some pictures of this. And yes, they concern bricks and ovens. I'll share them another time.

We had quite an adventure. First we passed the A-teams place. I said to my dad that this might be the place i'll end up if all goes wrong with my build. He agreed and said, - Yes, probably. While my mom did not. I had forgot the route to this place and we wen't all wrong. Ending up in me carrying three bikes through rocky steep slopes and my old dad saying they were glad to have their own Sherpa. Earlier he also pointed out that he now had understood the full meaning of this trip: To make them suffer and die.

The people bathing at the rocks were much like the reaction of Al's (brickie in oz) reactions to everything i express: Confused and astonished with big eyes and empty on words.

Picture #1: The rocky slopes. While not looking like much, they were enough for me to almost feel the taste of blood. Two cast iron bike's (at least they felt like that). And my, not that heavy aluminum mountain bike.

Picture #2: This is what happens to all Sherpas in the end. I must now concur with all Sherpas being of a superior race. Those Nepalese Sherpas are made out of some though timber. I think it's the high and clear air.

Picture #3: My Father. The boss, the witty one.

So today i have been dog tired. Not to much work. I'll post the progress in my next reply.

While this sometimes turns out to be some sort of blog. I'm sorry if i sometimes get's out of topic. Some may find it entertaining and others not, i will try to stay more close to things regarding the field of ovens in my forthcoming path.

Now on to my next reply and the progress of the oven.
        Last edited by Southboom; 08-26-2013, 03:56 PM.

Comment

As i said, i bought this new light to have it overcast from the roof. I't was pretty much a disapointment. 30 Led's, 900mah, 80 lm. The photo of it shining is at long exposure, so it does not concur with my experience. But accompanied by the other light, it may be of some use.

Once in a decade, i get these bright ideas. The brain works surprisingly good, all the planets in the solar system are all lined up.

What i did was that i took this holder for the Soudal Calofer, pushed out the part that pushes the content out of it's container, Cleaned it up so that it won't get stuck. Now i can fill it with refractory mortar. I noticed that the Soudal calofer has almost the same viscosity as the refractoy mortar. While i think of it, this must have been done by someone before me, like some sort of gun you can load with what ever you wish. Anyway, im happy with my discovery. Now i can fill upp those hard to get gaps in a easy way Hopefully.

Good Night, Cheerfully til im back with more.
          Last edited by Southboom; 08-26-2013, 03:50 PM.

Comment

What is the A-team place.?
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
              What is the A-team place.?

Ya know Tex,
              I really don't think that they ever actually got a pardon from the US military. That may just be where they are holed up .

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That is the only a-team i know.
                Texman Kitchen

Comment

Oh, i'm sorry about that one. It's a very direct translation of the Swedish word for bench drinkers (A-Laget). I should have thought of that.
                  A = Alcoholics, Laget = Team
                  So the alcoholics in Sweden are really the A-team.

I hope that clear any misconception.

Comment

I have a question. Is refractory mortar and fire clay the same thing ?

Comment

two different things. Refrac mortar is a mix of sand, fireclay, cement and lime. Fireclay is :

High grade fire clays can withstand temperatures of 1775?C (3227?F), but to be referred to as a "fire clay" the material must withstand a minimum temperature of 1515?C (2759?F).[2] Fire clays range from flint clays to plastic fire clays, but there are semi-flint and semi-plastic fire clays as well. Fire clays consist of natural argillaceous materials, mostly Kaolinite group clays, along with fine-grained micas and quartz, and may also contain organic matter and sulphur compounds.
                      Fire clay is resistant to high temperatures, having fusion points higher than 1,600?C, therefore it is suitable for lining furnaces, as fire brick, and manufacture of utensils used in the metalworking industries, such as crucibles, saggars, retorts and glassware. Because of its stability during firing in the kiln, it can be used to make complex items of pottery such as pipes and sanitary ware.
                      Chemical composition[edit source | editbeta]

The chemical composition typical for fire clays are 23-34% Al2O3, 50-60% SiO2 and 6-27% loss on ignition together with various amounts of Fe2O3, CaO, MgO, K2O, Na2O and TiO2.[2] Chemical analyses from two 19th century sources, shown in table below, are somewhat lower in alumina[3][4] although a more contemporary source quotes analyses that are closer.[5]
                      Fire Clay Compositions
                      Thorpe[3] King[4] Shackelford[5]
                      Stonebridge Eisenberg I Eisenberg II Newcastle 1 Newcastle 2 Newcastle 3 N/A
                      SiO2 (%) 65.10 89.8 64.7 51.1 47.6 48.6 58.1
                      Al2O3 (%) 22.2 5.40 24.0 31.4 29.5 30.2 23.1
                      MgO (%) 0.18 0.09 0.40 1.54 0.71 1.91 1.00
                      CaO(%) 0.14 0.20 0.37 1.46 1.34 1.66 0.08
                      Iron Oxides (%) 0.18 0.09 0.40 4.63 9.13 4.06 2.40
                      K2O (%) 0.18 0.61 2.40 not quoted

The long answer.

Tex
                      Texman Kitchen

Comment

I ask because i'm about to spread the underfloor paste. I went to the market and bought something called fire clay. I should have read the smaller print. Translated to:
                        "With reinforcement made of iron filings. For masonry on iron stove roofs."

The iron filings came seperated in this bag you see in the photo.

The clay was also mixed with small grits about 4mm in size. Perhaps this makes it useless for this purpose.

I also bought a bag of sand and the only sand they had was this sandbox sand. Grain size: 0-3 mm

1. Is this type of sand fine enough ?

2. I also have this refractory masonry and i found this declaration on the web. "Refractory mortar uses a specially formulated dry mortar designed for higher temperatures than usual mortar is capable of. Ordinary aggregates (sand) can not withstand temperatures above 700 ? C, therefore the sand in weber refractory mortar is replaced with heat-resistant aggregates."

Will this do the job ? Without additional sand.

3 Can i use this fire clay i bought today to something usefull ? and with the iron filings in it.

Last picture is what i made today. I cut out the oven floor. loose assembled it and tried the door on. The floor bricks are a little different in thickness. Not much, but i want to level it. And therefore i need this underfloor paste.

Comment

That's some interesting information you got there Tex. I like thoroughly conducted information.
                          Last edited by Southboom; 08-27-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

The fire clay might work, but without the iron. (i dont know what that is for)
                            The fire clay should crumble easily and not have the chunks in it after you spread it. If it doesn't spread smooth when applied dry, i wouldn't use it there.
                            You just need enough to level the cooking surface, no more. maybe like an 1/8 to 1/16 ". You can mix some sand with the clay here, but not required. Both the sand and the clay can be sifted to remove larger pieces with an old window screen if you have one. Again, the only purpose of this layer is to level the cooking surface, so don't sweat it too much.

Are you setting the dome on the floor? I hope that is the plan so you will have room for insulation and an enclosure. it looks like you may only have 3-4" of space around the floor in the pic.

The setup looks good as long as you are planning to set the dome on your floor brick and not outside of them.

Texman
                            Texman Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                              The fire clay might work, but without the iron. (i dont know what that is for)
                              It's for sticking fridge magnets on your pizza oven!

And while i think of it. This might be a good selling point.
                              Something for the FB staff to look up.
                              Last edited by Southboom; 08-27-2013, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Actually, i dont know the true meaning of it either. In the instructions it said something about the use inside of the oven roof (old cast iron oven). And now i found this information."Including reinforcement chip for kitchen stove." Must be something dealing with extreme heat (offcourse). I heard that cast iron dissipates and keeps heat extremly well. And it may be that it cracks by the shear stress created by heat without the iron filings. Or an already cracked or about to become is repaired whit this. Just a thought.

And thanks for all the instructions. The dome is setting on the floor. I will post more thoroughly descriptions of the oven tomorrow. I'm taking a free day tomorrow. Gonna go fishing The ultimate relaxation, for me anyway. And after tranquillisation i will pray to the ancient Roman goods before continuing with drawing the plans.
                                Last edited by Southboom; 08-28-2013, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X