X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 42" Build Underway in Central Alabama

Comment

For the final course I used a bottle jack and a Frisbee. The Frisbee was the closest item I could find around the house that had a slight contour that I needed. I was able to flex the center of the Frisbee upward slightly with the jack and get the exact contour I was looking for. In this regard, the jack and Frisbee seemed like the perfect solution.

Comment

The final course in place:

Plug tapped into place! For me that was one - happy - moment!

Comment

So the final course and keystone/plug was not the tightest fit, but it was about the best I could do.

Template removed! Woohoo!

Last edited by edsiajb; 08-19-2014, 04:49 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the pluggin'!! I also used a bottle jack in a similar fashion at the very end. Worked great for me. Great feeling to finish the dome, isn't it?
            My Build:
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
              Congrats on the pluggin'!! I also used a bottle jack in a similar fashion at the very end. Worked great for me. Great feeling to finish the dome, isn't it?
              Thank you - and yes, it is a great feeling! I was worried about the final keystone/plug. But in the end, I simply needed it to be 2" on the outside and 1" on the inside.

I took a 1/4 brick and drew a 2" circle centered on one end, and a 1" circle centered on the opposite end. I then just sawed away everything outside the circles. It worked so well and I was so happy that I forgot to photograph the plug before I hammered it in...

And when I did hammer it in, I was blown away by the fit.
              Last edited by edsiajb; 08-15-2014, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Nice work on the dome and plug and use of the brackets for holding the bricks.
                Russell
                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

THAT is a work of art.....You will be appreciating that, everytime you cook something.

All of your friends will ask you, who you had build it for you or if you had it delivered that way.

Be ready to talk Pizza Oven, a lot!!!!
                  Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging comments.

The dome will be insulated and boxed in up to a sloping shed roof that comes off the side of a pavilion. But that roof is not there yet, and neither is the pavilion! And I really need that roof to be there before I start cutting the steel studs.

So I have another big project to complete before I can do much more work on the oven. I can be working on the landing and entry arches, but cannot do much with the chimney (again awaiting the roof).

Building the pavilion should give me plenty of time to cure and dry out the dome.

Today is exactly 3 months since this project was started. It would be great to complete it in 3 more months, but that may be a pipe dream heading into the craziness of Fall with three teenage children.

Comment

Originally posted by edsiajb View Post
                      I've been trying to wrap my mind around the best way to keep my bricks from sliding when I get to the courses with steeper angles. I've seen several different solutions others have used. I decided to try making a "clip" to put over the brick (surely someone has done this before - but I couldn't find any related posts).

I had some Simpson Strong-Tie straps left over from a previous project. I bent them to snap over the brick - and hold against the back side of the brick on the course below.

It was so simple and easy, I decided to post photos here:

I just ran across this post, I made some very similar clips last week for mine also. They work great and have no problem holding the bricks in place.
                      Nice looking build and congrats on the pluggin of the dome.
                      Last edited by SteelandStone; 08-15-2014, 11:15 AM.
                      Start of the Outdoor Kitchen Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...ild-18433.html

Oven Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...ild-20791.html

Comment

Well, I haven't posted in a few months. My project was delayed by Alabama heat, health issues, and managing three teenagers (with all of their extracurricular activities) during a busy Fall season.

I will be posting some photos shortly on the slooooow progress made regardless of the obstacles to my schedule...

Comment

Pavilion details (framed with 6" x 6" timbers):

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Comment

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

Comment