New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Thanks Jon. I'll keep posting pics as I move along here. I'm hoping to pick up bricks for the floor this week and then get that laid out in the garage while the concrete cures. Then hopefully get started on the dome in a few weeks.

Comment

There has been a lot of discussion of dome heights on the forum and a search would probably yield much of that. I built a 36" dome and it is 18" high and I am happy with it. I think that the difference in performance may be less significant than most casual pizza or bread cooks would appreciate.

I think the ruling school of thought favours the lower domes, some significantly low, for pizza and the higher domes for bread. I use my oven to cook all sorts of things and it is one of my very favourite things. Should have built one 30 years earlier.

This may not be much use but I appreciate the enthusiasm and the quest for every bit of knowledge that oven builders display.

The very best with your builds and I am sure that you will gain plenty of advice and support from this forum.
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

I borrowed a brick bolster and using a 3lb sledge hammer I was able to easily break both an old firebrick and veneer bricks with one blow after scoring the brick. The one firebrick will need cleaning up but seems fairly straightforward

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140703_214047.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	305193

Comment

Attached is the clay veneer brick

Name:	20140703_213936.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	305194

Comment

Questions regarding dome height and door height. I've been pluging numbers into the dome calculator spreadsheet and I get a different dome height based on how high above the floor my IT sits. I haven't built it yet but my dome height comes out to 18 inches and the door height is 11.3 inches according to the spreadsheet...

How wide should I make the door? Was thinking 16 inches, as I believe it needs to be 50% of the oven width, but wanted to ask on here first before completing my floor drawing and laying the floor bricks
            Last edited by thebigt; 07-08-2014, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Curious why your dome height works out to 18 inches? For my 32 inch oven my dome height is 16 inches and per the earlier discussions on this thread it is better to have a lower dome than a higher one. I would aim for 16 max. My door height (in the center) is 10 inches high.

Neil

Comment

I have no idea why the calculation on that spreadsheet came out to 18". I'd prefer it to be 16 maybe I'll have to play around with the nunbers.

Did you have to adjust the length of your IT during your build at all? I've read through your thread at least 10 times but I forget. Also what kind of thermocouple did you buy? I'm now thinking that the geek in me will want to know temperature.

Comment

Here's the results I get from the Pompeii dome calculator(see attachments). I would like my dome to be 16" in height but in order to do that I'd have to make my IT flush with the floor? Or do I make my IT 16" long and then make it shorter as I go up?

I think once I get this going I am good to go.

Name:	IT flush with oven floor..jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	305248

Name:	IT 2inches above floor.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	305249

Comment

T,
                    I don't think that the 18" height is going to hurt the oven's overall performance. But, I'm not real big into pizza.

I placed my IT flush with the floor by removing the dead center floor brick and replacing it with an exact sized wooden block. It also made a much more stable base for the IT than the wobbly the as plywood base I had made origionally. I just used the cardboard box from my HF saw to protect the floor .

Name:	191.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	305250
                    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks. I really like the IT you built there. I was going to use a swivel Castor but I think that I'll use your method instead.

I noticed you used herringbone for your floor... Any difference between that and putting the brick on a 45 degree angle?

Comment

I didn't use the spreadsheet calculator. But yes, I did adjust my IT length as I went. I put a slot in the 'brick holder' and used a wing nut to secure it so that I could easily adjuts it from course to course

Neil

Comment

I don't think that it would make any difference. The angle that the peel hits is at a 45, in both syles. Mayabe, someone who has theirs placed on a 45 will weigh in. I just like the looks of the herringbone and it is really no more difficult than just placing them in on a 45 .
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                            I didn't use the spreadsheet calculator. But yes, I did adjust my IT length as I went. I put a slot in the 'brick holder' and used a wing nut to secure it so that I could easily adjuts it from course to course

Neil
                            Neil how did you know how much to adjust it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                              I don't think that it would make any difference. The angle that the peel hits is at a 45, in both syles. Mayabe, someone who has theirs placed on a 45 will weigh in. I just like the looks of the herringbone and it is really no more difficult than just placing them in on a 45 .
                              I like the herringbone look as well but always thought it was tougher than the 45 degree layout. Maybe I'll have to give it a whirl. I'm building on the garage floor first and not cutting bricks until I dry fit my first course which will sit on top of my floor. That way I can try it out both ways before making any cuts.

Comment

I did a 45 degree layout since my tapered bricks would not work with a herringbone pattern. I have not had any issues with my peel hitting the bricks but I did take an angle grinder after the floor was laid and knocked off any high spots which I would off done no matter what the pattern.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X