New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Took an hour and half to undo the screws in my form and take it apart.... I think I went a tad overboard on the screws

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140709_064620.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	305253

Comment

Had a bit of a frustrating night working on the floor layout/arch transition piece.

I'll post a picture later but what I did to draw my floor plan is the following:

1) Measured the middle and used a 16" piece of string to draw a complete circle
      2) Used a second piece of string that was 20.5" long to draw the outline of the brick.
      3)My door needs to be 16" wide so I measured out 8 inches from the center. Does the arch transition go where it intersects with the inner circle I drew in step 1? Is it ok if the arch is inside the oven a bit or is that bad?

Everything went well until I tried mocking up the brick layout and just gotta figure out that location of where the arch should intersect. If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
      Last edited by thebigt; 07-10-2014, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Not all bad news. Took a picture of my slab yesterday and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out

Name:	20140709_190908.jpg
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	305259

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
          Had a bit of a frustrating night working on the floor layout/arch transition piece.

I'll post a picture later but what I did to draw my floor plan is the following:

1) Measured the middle and used a 16" piece of string to draw a complete circle
          2) Used a second piece of string that was 20.5" long to draw the outline of the brick.
          3)My door needs to be 16" wide so I measured out 8 inches from the center. Does the arch transition go where it intersects with the inner circle I drew in step 1? Is it ok if the arch is inside the oven a bit or is that bad?

Everything went well until I tried mocking up the brick layout and just gotta figure out that location of where the arch should intersect. If anyone has any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
          I think it is probably a bad idea to put the arch inside the oven, the dome bricks might overhang at the top. In case you have not seen it, there is a great way to tie the arch into the dome that most new builders seem to use. I think GianniFocaccia's thread has a good example.

Comment

Thanks I had looked at it before but will review it again.

Comment

So I cut out what I think is the right dimensions for my floor. After reviewing threads I am still in a bit of confusion over where the area has needs to be placed which means I may in trouble for this build Lol...

Anyways I marked my 16" entrance where it intersects with the interior of the oven(as circled in the pictures). I'm thinking that I will need to just make a cut to angle the arch piece and then make a a cut smaller than a half brick either beside each piece or where they meet in the middle.

I've read that you are supposed to start at the back and work towards the arch support bricks is that true with the first course as well or is it OK to make your last brick fit snug at the back?

I think once I get passed this I'll be less confused and perhaps a bit more confident... Just my first crack at masonry and it's bringing back memories(anxiety lol) of when I built a smoker last year with no previous welding experience... Once I got on a roll I was fine but was a slow starter with lots of oddball questions.

Name:	20140710_204306.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	305260

Comment

I think that I might have it figured out. While the cut is far from perfect I think if I cut a similar shaped brick that this would work for my bricks to support the arch bricks. Does this look right?

Name:	20140710_212003.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	305261

Comment

Consider building an IT over using strings can be done inexpensively and will help you alot. I started on back half work towards arch. Do your best work back half and make adj front half where oops can't be seen.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks. I will definitely be building an IT. Sounds like I should have done that first rather than messing around with my current stuff. Perhaps I will have some time this weekend to get that done the parts are all in my garage.

Comment

It might also help to build your entry support soon too. With the IT and the arch form, you can easily see where they intersect.

See someone smarter than me's explanation in my thread:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/38...tml#post159223

Comment

I'm on vacation next week without the kids so planning on starting then. I am planning on using some 8x8OD clay flue that I have , will 24" be tall enough? I was thinking of framing it with something such as cement board and then wrapping in 1" ceramic fibre blanket and then building a brick chimney around that with some veneer bricks that I have. The reason for framing it first was in case it cracks I could in theory put another one in its place as I have 8 kicking around. Does this sound like an ok idea or isthere a better way? My eesearchbwas inconclusive so far.

Comment

T,
                          I think that I would go with 48" on the height.

It sounds to me that after allowing clearance (for the framing, the cement board, insulation and full thick face brick), the chimney is going to take up a heck of a lot of real estate. You might want to draw that out to scale to see just how wide it would need to be.

I know that you are concerned about replacing the liner later, if it cracks. But so what if it does. It probably wont fall out on to your pizza since it is laying in a vertical plane. If it is placed in there secure enough, and you stay away from those "useless" nuke sized fireloads, there should not be a problem.

I don't know if it is a better way, but I notched my 4"X8" face brick to save weight and some of that "real estate". The 2" space between my brick liner and the face brick was filled with vcrete.

Name:	021 (2).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	803.0 KB
ID:	305379Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (27).JPG
Views:	3
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	305380

I feel like a similar approach would help with the uneven cooling associated with clay liners and also give some lateral support.

Name:	Face Brick and Clay Liner.jpg
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	305381

An 8" OD clay liner would require a 16" OD for your face brick, if they were notched.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                            T,
                            I think that I would go with 48" on the height.

It sounds to me that after allowing clearance (for the framing, the cement board, insulation and full thick face brick), the chimney is going to take up a heck of a lot of real estate. You might want to draw that out to scale to see just how wide it would need to be.

I know that you are concerned about replacing the liner later, if it cracks. But so what if it does. It probably wont fall out on to your pizza since it is laying in a vertical plane. If it is placed in there secure enough, and you stay away from those "useless" nuke sized fireloads, there should not be a problem.

I don't know if it is a better way, but I notched my 4"X8" face brick to save weight and some of that "real estate". The 2" space between my brick liner and the face brick was filled with vcrete.

[ATTACH]43875[/ATTACH][ATTACH]43876[/ATTACH]

I feel like a similar approach would help with the uneven cooling associated with clay liners and also give some lateral support.

[ATTACH]43877[/ATTACH]

An 8" OD clay liner would require a 16" OD for your face brick, if they were notched.
                            Thanks Gulf. I think you are right that the chimney would be massive if I did as I described. I'll definately look at doing the same thing that you did on yours as that looks like it would work for me as well.

Comment

Well I finally made some progress today. I'm a bit behind schedule as I spent a week at the lake and yard work needed to be done!

I got the floor layed down on Sunday and today I got the 1st course in place and mortared. The arch bricks gave me a bit of trouble figuring out the angle to cut and then I used an abrasive blade in my cheap chop saw and while it cut through easily the blade wobbled. So I eventually just used the chisel and hammer and then cut the angle off the corner.

I'm hoping to get more done tomorrow. My plan is to build up the arch 3 bricks high then start the arch...That will likely be my next challenge and I'll have to do some research on how to calculate the angle it needs to go on and then get it drawn out.

Name:	20140729_172904.jpg
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	305477

Comment

well! to me all this discussion re flue is way over the top! It only keeps a bit of smoke out of your eyes when you open the door! It does not have any effect on the oven, quite a few people don't even bother with a flue?

Comment

Working...
                                X