Last night I took off the arch form and was happy that it didn't collapse

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140819_192837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	305681

Comment

Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Any idea how much CFB I'll need? I currently have a 50sq ft roll of 1" thick CFB but wondering if I need to order more or not. I'd like at least 2" of insulation if I can get that I won't order more as I didn't budget for it but if it won't I'll have to bite the bullet and order more.

Comment

Originally posted by thebigt View Post
        Any idea how much CFB I'll need? I currently have a 50sq ft roll of 1" thick CFB but wondering if I need to order more or not. I'd like at least 2" of insulation if I can get that I won't order more as I didn't budget for it but if it won't I'll have to bite the bullet and order more.
        You should be OK if you take the time to fit it closely. But, please double check my math .

A 32" id dome, plus 4" of brick, has a raduis of 20 inches.

The surface area of a sphere is = 4*Pi*R2

4 X 3.14 X 20 X 20 = 5024 inches. Since a dome is 1/2 of a sphere, you have 2512 square inches of surface are to cover.

50 square feet of blanket is = to 7200 square inches.

7200 divided by 2512 is roughly 2.8.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Made some progress today. Had to stop using my IT as it was getting too hard to use and had to freehand a couple courses. It started raining today as I ran out of mortar so I stopped but have 2 bricks plus the plug and the dome should be closed. Hopefully the weather cooperates tomorrow, but calling for rain and high winds so I may need to hold off.

Comment

Tonight I managed to get the dome closed. Not the prettiest build but it should work. Looks rustic lol... Next is finishing the floor of my entrance then onto coating the dome with mortar.

Picture was taken in the dark. I'll get an inside of the dome picture when it's light out.

Name:	20140826_205211.jpg
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	305780

Comment

Here's a better picture of the outside

Name:	20140829_080604.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	305808

Here's some quick ones I took of the inside. I had to free hand the top and it shows. In the larger mortar gaps I have some pieces of firebrick burried in the mortar. The plug had to be hammered in with a board and a 3lb sledge.

Name:	20140827_055258_1.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	305809

Name:	20140827_055253_2.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	305810

I also got the outside coat of mortar in place and entrance floor is done. I've started my arch forms and will begin working on the entrance whenever time permits

Name:	20140829_172630.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	305811

Comment

T,
                Congratulations on completing the dome! There will soon be the great smell of food cooking. And, it will coming from your oven .
                Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Thanks. Im pretty pleased with how its turned out so far. Cant wait to cook on this thing!

Comment

Was checking out my coat of mortar on the outside. Is it normal to have hairline cracks in the mortar while it's drying? We've had some rain so I've kept it covered with a tarp.

Comment

G'day
                      Don't worry its just some cracks in the sparging layer once that's insulated you'll stop worrying. It will not harm anything. Great progress by the way!!!
                      Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Those are probably shrinkage cracks. Usually caused by the mortar drying out too quickly. If the surface was dry and/or you put it on too thick or too wet, it can do that. Usually not much to worry about, as long as they will be covered up from the weather later on.
                        Last edited by NCMan; 08-31-2014, 07:04 AM.
                        My Build:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Thanks CD and NCMan. I poured water on the bricks on the dome before applying mortar but I may have tried putting it on too thick at first. It was also pretty sunny when I did it. I do plan on insulating and then putting some bricks on the outside so it should be well covered

Comment

G'day bigT
                            I hate to knock anyone's work... But ... This next stage, the outer brickwork, were going to bring up the standard .
                            It's not you brickworks not workable cause it is. Is just its a bit cement stained.
                            I'm the first to admit to being "Masonry inpaired". But I didn't get to this stage without learning at least something.
                            2 buckets of water with sponges or cloth. A pr of rubber gloves. When the cement starts to set its the first bucket, which will be the dirty one, wash down the brick and mortar in one sweep . It will smooth things off. A small length of a garden hose and run it around the mortar joints to smooth and even them out.
                            Leave it for a bit longer till the lime starts to haze up and use the clean water to sponge off the brick surface not the mortar. Change this water often.
                            This way you'll end up with the best finish for your outer brick.
                            We are in the first days of spring your into autumn and winters real close. There's a lot of pressure to finish this fast and waterproof
                            Regards dave
                            Last edited by cobblerdave; 09-02-2014, 04:02 AM. Reason: Speeling
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                              G'day bigT
                              I hate to knock anyone's work... But ... This next stage, the outer brickwork, were going to bring up the standard .
                              It's not you brickworks not workable cause it is. Is just its a bit cement stained.
                              I'm the first to admit to being "Masonry inpaired". But I didn't get to this stage without learning at least something.
                              2 buckets of water with sponges or cloth. A pr of rubber gloves. When the cement starts to set its the first bucket, which will be the dirty one, wash down the brick and mortar in one sweep . It will smooth things off. A small length of a garden hose and run it around the mortar joints to smooth and even them out.
                              Leave it for a bit longer till the lime starts to haze up and use the clean water to sponge off the brick surface not the mortar. Change this water often.
                              This way you'll end up with the best finish for your outer brick.
                              We are in the first days of spring your into autumn and winters real close. There's a lot of pressure to finish this fast and waterproof
                              Regards dave
                              No worries CD...Im totally masonry impaired and take all the advice I can get. Before this project I had never laid a brick before.

Thanks for the advice on how to clean the bricks. I was thinking that I would have to be more careful on the outside and wasnt sure what Id have to do to keep the bricks clean.

As far as move oven progress goes, my intent was to finish the opening and get the flue in place and do my cure fires, leaving the insulation and finishing brick for next year and cover the oven with a tarp for the Winter and finish in the spring. I may have time to do the insulation this year and to put a coat of stucco on the outside, but the brick finish like I plan to do likely wont happen due to lack of time.

Comment

G'day
                                If you'll best get the oven finished up to a few fires that's great!
                                Fires... Any fires you can cook in.. Enjoy them for what they are.
                                Remember it not just pizza.. Lots of other things are great
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X