No announcement yet.

Mongo's 42" CT Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be aware that thorough sealing both under and over the oven also prevents the escape of water. Moisture in the dome is therefore better driven out before sealing over it. In addition some weep holes in the supporting slab into the underfloor insulation can help remove moisture build up. As well as some kind of vent to allow moisture and steam pressure to be released from the dome insulation. I find it better to drive out the moisture of a new oven after insulating, but before rendering the outer shell.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Thanks for the responses Mongo. I unfortunately missed learning about the recommended Redgard underneath the insulation (p/vcrete in my case), so i have no RedGard on my slab to seal. Also, I have my countertops (granite) installed already, and applied my first 2 layers of stucco right down to the granite.

So i guess I will need to come up with a creative way to seal that joint between granite & stucco. (It may just be applying the Flex-Crete the to granite, then a bead of silicone)
      David in Calgary
      My Build Thread

Comment

• Originally posted by david s View Post
        Be aware that thorough sealing both under and over the oven also prevents the escape of water. Moisture in the dome is therefore better driven out before sealing over it. In addition some weep holes in the supporting slab into the underfloor insulation can help remove moisture build up. As well as some kind of vent to allow moisture and steam pressure to be released from the dome insulation. I find it better to drive out the moisture of a new oven after insulating, but before rendering the outer shell.
        Always good to plan an escape path.

Thoroseal is vapor permeable.

There's also a vent nipple at the apex of the dome.

Drying fires? Oh yeah, I've had a few, lol.
        Mongo

My Build: Mongo's 42" CT Build

Comment

• Been cooking up a storm with the WFO this year, it's just terrific as a cooker.

I've had a HUGE distraction this year, been working on a seating area down by the water. Had to be hand dug due to wetlands restrictions and there was a bit of time pressure with a non-extendable permit deadline that expired this fall. So after hauling out about 50 yards of earth in drywall buckets and bringing in about 16 tons of stone for the walls and another 250sqft of bluestone for the seating surface, it's done. Well, it's done except for finishing the stairs. Going to use stone for the stair risers and bluestone for the stair treads. There's always one more thing, eh? Or in this case, eleven steps, so eleven more things?
          Last edited by mongota; 11-06-2018, 12:08 PM. Reason: edit to add pic
          Mongo

Comment

• Started the stone veneer for the base of the oven. All this is stone from my property. Working in between, and right through, the rain showers. I don't mind cold. I don't mind wet. But wet and cold, when mortaring stone? Meh. lol

I dry fit them first, them mark them with a soapstone marker for orientation. That way if I have to pull and reset, of if they simply fall down since they are only dry set, it makes it easier on me to get them back in their proper places. After I get a bunch in place, I'll mix up a batch of mortar and get to work.
            Mongo

Comment

• And...
              -Finished one large side, fully mortared.
              -The other large side, 3/4ths of it is mortared, the top course on the left and the top two courses on the right are dry fit, they need to be mortared. You can see some firebrick shims holding things together.
              -And the front of the oven, the left side is mortared, the right side is dry fit and needs mortar.

Tomorrow is supposed to be dry ans sunny, mid-50s temp. Good weather to finish it off.
              Mongo

Comment

• Mongo, I love the look of the natural rock. Using materials from your property is a special bonus.
                My build thread
                http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...h-corner-build

Comment

• Appreciate the kind words JR.

Stone is one thing I have plenty of around here. lol
                  Mongo

Comment

Working...
                  X