Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mongo's 42" CT Build

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • JRPizza
    replied
    I also got my board soaked. It happened early in my build and even though it was covered after that the water stayed until I drove it out with many long slow fires. The link below shows some of my pics, where I had water seeping out from under the oven floor during curing.

    https://community.fornobravo.com/for...019#post387019

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Plus one with Gulf. This is a great lesson for other builders wondering about water intrusion into the floor insulation and that wet/saturated CaSi can be restored again through curing again.

    Leave a comment:


  • Gulf
    replied
    Welcome back Mongo,

    Ouch! on the wet insulation. I'm sure that you will be able to dry it out, though. I'm looking forward to the pics of your progress.

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    Sadly, not the tasty kind you can use as a pizza topping!

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls, children of all ages...

    I'm back!

    Had a couple of absolutely bizarre issues that came up with out-of-state extended family that 100% pulled me away from any home projects (as well as pulling me away from home) over the last year. The fire brick dome was plastic sheeted and double tarped for the past two winters, since October of '16. Amazing that it was for that long.

    About a month ago, I untarped the WFO. Unfortunately, the three layers of protection suffered abrasion during the winter winds and allowed some water intrusion. The 4" of ceramic fiberboard insulation under the dome was absolutely saturated. Press on it and water would weep out. A sad discovery indeed. I even had fungi growing out of the insulation on the exterior! lol The good news is that other than being wet, the board insulation seemed structurally sound. There was no thickness compression from the weight of the brick.

    After several weeks of drying, I've made some progress. More posts and progress pics to follow.

    It's good to be back on this forum as well as getting the oven back up to speed!
    Last edited by mongota; 07-13-2018, 03:25 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • cnegrelli
    replied
    Hope to hear Mongota's updates soon as I wait for freezing temps to subside here in CO before I can start. Cool build. By the way, grew up just up the river in Haddam, where my family has lived since the 1600s and my Mom is from Deep River. Essex is one of the most beautiful spots in the world! Your build is up to the local standards!

    Leave a comment:


  • rand18m
    replied
    Very neat project, looks like a fun build.

    Leave a comment:


  • JRPizza
    replied
    The mock-ups will tell you a lot. I had an idea of what I wanted to do, but when I started mocking up I had to change my plans a little to keep my mortar joints from aligning.

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    I could get away with those four plus a couple of shorties I have in my remnant pile to create the transition, but a concern has been the small footprint of that minimal transition.

    I plan on giving the vent arch a good look-see when the rain stops and then I'll do a couple of mock-ups for the chimney transition. I think by creating a cap with a larger footprint on top of the vent arch it'll better distribute the weight that the chimney transition puts on the arch toward the sides of the arch instead of it being more concentrated on the apex of the arch.

    I have to say the arch as is is pretty strong. When I buttered up the front and rear keystone bricks with mortar and set them in place, I was "tapping" them pretty good with my 2 lb hammer to squeeze out the excess mortar and to drive them home. I was surprised I didn't break the bond of one of the other mortar joints in the arch.
    Last edited by mongota; 10-22-2016, 10:19 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • JRPizza
    replied
    Nice looking arch work! Do you think 4 bricks are all you are going to need? I ended up using more bricks than I thought for my arch to chimney transition.

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    Here's the pallet of brick I started with...
    And the pallet I ended with...

    Just enough. I'll use those last four brick on top of the vent arch to create a level surface on which to attach the chimney anchor plate.

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    Okay, got some uploaded.
    Pics of the vent arch and throat.

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    Pretty heavy rain today so no work on the dome, but I peeled back the tarp to take a few photos.

    I left a 1-3/4" reveal around the dome arch.
    And a couple of shots of the vent opening.

    Meh, can't upload photos. I'll try again later...

    Leave a comment:


  • mongota
    replied
    Thanks Mike. Just got home from a trip to the west coast, unfortunately...it looks like rain over the next couple of days. Yet ANOTHER slide in the schedule. And so it goes!

    Leave a comment:


  • SableSprings
    replied
    Great job Mongo! I really like getting that nice curve for the flames/heat to flow smoothly into a collection area and then the flue. Your freehand double round-overs look very nice and will certainly get the job done! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the vent system getting put together...after you get a little rest

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X