No announcement yet.

My first attempt for 42" oven / changed to 36"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas how to put perlcrete layer on my oven?
    I will make 3inch width layer of perlcrete.
    Last edited by George_M; 12-07-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by George_M View Post
      Any ideas how to put perlcrete layer on my oven?
      I will make 3inch width layer of perlcrete.
      George,
      Because a vermicrete mix has such a high proportion of water, it is important to make sure it is dry before rendering over it. I prefer to do it in layers of around an inch and a half with a week between layers to allow some drying, otherwise you end up trapping a lot of water that is hard to eliminate. I find the best way to apply it is with the hands, starting at the base of the dome and leaving a flat top onto which you can sit more mix once you've got all the way around. Use rubber gloves or the cement will damage your hands leaving you with raw fingertips. You can get a very good final surface by tapping the outside with the flat of your trowel.
      Last edited by david s; 12-07-2016, 03:43 PM.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Hi David,
        I will start like your method but this method keeps the round shape of the dome or will make change in the final shape ?
        Also,I will use only perlite-cement,this will stand easy or need a round base around it to keep it until dry ?

Comment

• Update!

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I will wait to dry and i will go for the second layer.
                  This layer is almost 1 1/2 inch.

Comment

• You now probably understand the advice I gave you in this post. The photo is not too clear (zoom in and look at the left hand side), but the oven is integrated to the corner by allowing the vermicrete to sit right against the wall.
                    That space in the corner is pretty much useless and it is extremely difficult to finish the outer rendered shell when so close to the walls.

Comment

• David,
                      I knew that from the first day that this side will be difficult to add the insulation but i will succeed it.I want to have a round shape oven.

I have a general question: If i didn't put perlcrete and i could put ceramic blanket in 5 or 6 or more layers is it the same?Or the perlcrete has better insulation properties??
                      Why need to put perlcrete? Ceramic blanklet is easier to put than perlcrete for example.

Comment

• The surface of the blanket tends to be somewhat lumpy, but by covering it with a layer of vermicrete you can get back to a perfect spherical form. In addition the hardened vermicrete gives you a firm surface to render against. Depending on how much cement you use in the mix, but vermicrete is approx. half the insulation value as blanket.

Comment

• How many days need to wait until fire again my oven when I finish perlcrete insulation ?
                          Also need to start again with small fires?
                          Thanks David..

Comment

• After placing the vermicrete, leave it for at least a week then start small fires.

Comment

• Hi,
                              I need information about cement pigment powders.
                              I'm thinking to add a dark grey colour on my oven.
                              What pigment to use and what ratio.
                              Any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by George_M View Post
                                Hi,
                                I need information about cement pigment powders.
                                I'm thinking to add a dark grey colour on my oven.
                                What pigment to use and what ratio.
                                Any ideas?
                                here's a resource that I used: https://www.directcolors.com/resourc...t-calculators/
                                My build progress
                                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
                                X