• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharptailhunter
    replied
    Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    How heavy gage steel studs do I need. I am thinking of trying to get 16 gage or is that over kill?

Randy
    Hey Randy,

Looking good. You've moved swiftly through the build. I would say that 16ga metal studs is definitely an overkill. I'm building an outdoor kitchen with 20ga studs and it's plenty sturdy and I don't even have the Durock on there yet. The sheeting is where the real strength happens. Keep up the good work!

Alex

Leave a comment:

• leetheldc
    replied

Congratulations on plugging the dome great job!

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Form what up and get what poured? I am not quite sure where you are going with this.

As far as curing fires, you can start now but.... You will stil need to cure the vent also if you do not want cracks in it. Make sure you are in the go slow mode once the vent is built also. Today is not a good day for curing because of the rain. Just keep it covered and maybe work on cutting bricks or building your arch form.

Remember th keep a nice wide reveal on your inner arch for sealing the insulated door.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 06-11-2015, 08:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Ok thanks chip. That is kinda what I was thinking. I just wanted to make sure that I was thinking correctly . I will have to form that up and get it poored so I can get going on the vent. When can I start the curing fires? Do I need the vent done? Thanks for the help.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

"Now to start the vent. Should it be on the insulation and if so when I get to the edge how do I protect it from moisture? Just run cement board across the bottom of the entry and run the stone or brick over that? Or is there a better way. Thanks for the help. "

If you use a heat break between the dome and the vent ( flue arch ) no insulation is required at the floor.

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Well I managed to get the dome plugged . It went pretty well. Took about 20 min of shaving to get it ot fit how I wanted. Not perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out. I need to try to squeeze my self in to touch up a few things. I hope the door is big enough

Now to start the vent. Should it be on the insulation and if so when I get to the edge how do I protect it from moisture? Just run cement board across the bottom of the entry and run the stone or brick over that? Or is there a better way. Thanks for the help.

Randy
    Wow congratulations. I bet that was an awesome feeling?!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I managed to get the dome plugged . It went pretty well. Took about 20 min of shaving to get it ot fit how I wanted. Not perfect, but I am happy with how it turned out. I need to try to squeeze my self in to touch up a few things. I hope the door is big enough

Now to start the vent. Should it be on the insulation and if so when I get to the edge how do I protect it from moisture? Just run cement board across the bottom of the entry and run the stone or brick over that? Or is there a better way. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Randy

Looks like mine. I had to disassemble the IT tool to get it out of the oven. Grease on the all thread helped.

Cutting the plug was a trick and having got it to fit it stuck out when I put mortar on it. Had to shave some more off it.

David

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

And I thought this kinda seamed like I should call it the keystone picture

Randy
    , that one went over my head for a second or two .

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

And I thought this kinda seamed like I should call it the keystone picture

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well one step closer.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

How heavy gage steel studs do I need. I am thinking of trying to get 16 gage or is that over kill?

Randy

Leave a comment:

• gastagg
    replied

Looking great! Great job!

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Great job. You have to be happy with that. You will have the sniff of a pizza soon if you don't have it now.

Congratulations.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I got a few hrs after dinner and got a little more done. I am pretty happy with how it turned out so far. There are a few things If I had noticed I might have fixed . But none are structural so I am not going to worry about it. And it looks pretty good in pictures so maby not as bad as I think.

I also put a picture of the tear drop and how I fixed it.

I am truly amazed at how sticky the home brew is. All I have used so far is my it. I would leave it in place till I had the next brick buttered up and put it in and move the it to hold that one and repeat.

I am also amazed at how round and level everything is. I was going fast and did not pay much attention but the IT makes it almost fool proof. I hope to finish the last corse and plug this week. Thanks to all for the help and support.

Randy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X