Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Hello Randy

I thought I had seen where someone in Texas was shopping at a Larkin warehouse. I must have mixed up the posts.

I used 3" of fiber board in 1" layers as they only had 1" and 1/2" It would have been better if I could have got 2" and 1" as there is some variation in the board thickness.

David

Comment

Hi David thanks for the heads up on the insulation board that is good to know. I am hopping that I can find at least 1.5" or best would be 2". I would really like to over insulate the oven so don't want to skimp, but I would also like to keep costs in line.

We'll I have gotten some good news. I finally heard back from the city building dept. they said after reviewing the plans they decided I do not need a permit. Then I was told to call the fire inspector and he also went over the plans and said I am good to go and there are no restrictions as there is a proper flu and chimney and the fire is contained. So I am happy that was the last hurdle before I start.

Here is a question. I am wondering if people think it would be a realistic plan to be able to have the oven and vent done and cured enough to have pizza by mid July for a birthday party for my son and myself? Or is that unrealistic.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Having the oven ready for July is probable possible but depends on how much time you can devote to the build.

I started my build mid December 2014 and had my first fire at the end of February 2015. I did devote almost every waking hour to it for a good part January.

Take the curing part of it SLOWLY very slowly and gently. I went a little too quick and have a small crack in the inner arch. I think you can tell how the curing/drying is going by the temperature variation in the dome. Big variation top to bottom means you need more slow fires. An insulated door will help the process.

David

Comment

Thanks David that is great news. It is also kinda what I was thinking. I know that it will be a lot of work, but that is part of the game. I am a commercial / industrial construction electrician,so i am fairly good at building things even if I have not done it before. I know it has helped on other projects.

Randy

Comment

I always tried to finish the day setting a brick on the next chain so that it would be set when I started next day.
            Also take time to clean up the mortar inside the oven before you finish the day. It cleans up easily when it is fresh.

David

Comment

That sounds like a good plan. I can see where starting the next chain and cleaning up when you finish for the day is a goodles idea.

Randy

Comment

I cleaned the brickwork with a damp sponge every night. The job site not so much.
                Having had to chip the hardened HS50 off my other oven I wanted to avoid that task if at all possible. That stuff goes really hard.

David

Comment

We'll I finally got around to calling the company I was considering going with for my fire brick about the insulation and they have a a board insulation called Plisulate 1900. Witch is rated to 1900F and the thermal conductivity of 0.8 but*in/hr*ft squared at 1000F and only $103 for a 24 square ft case that is 2" thick. Does this seam like it would be a good fit?

Randy

Comment

Well I know this has nothing to do with my build but I saw this old bread oven today at work and had to take a quick picture. It is in a building in downtown Minneapolis in a very cool loft style business setting. I think it is wonderful that they left this in place even though it is quite large and the up 2 floors. But they did open up the bottom as a very cool conference room with the valted cealing still intact.

Randy

Comment

Well I took off early for work today and got what will hopefully be all the bricks I need for the dome. The guy said that he was out of medium duty bricks and the gave me super duty at the same price. I know I don't want them for the floor but I have low duty for that. So I figured no harm was done by that. I also got my cf blanket from him as well. If any one is in mn and needs supplies Pm me and I will let you know who I went with. They are very nice to deal with and seemed to want me to get the proper supplies for what I was doing.

I also got my cmu's today as well. When I was loading them up I felt like I had got to many but I know I did my calculations right ,but it sure seems like a lot more than I thought it was going to be. Has anyone else thought the same thing?

I hope I can start on the slab soon, but I am very happy to have most of my stuff ready now.

Randy

Comment

let the fun begin!
                        Texman Kitchen
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I did a mock layout this afternoon to make sure that everything was going to fit the way I wanted, and I looks like it does. I figured that there is 3.5" for steel studs .5" for cement board witch then left 4"or a little better for insulation. I plan to do 3 layers of cf blanket then fill the remaining area with vermiculite.

The oven opening I am planning is 19" wide and 12.5" tall. I am also thinking about going 14" deep for the vent area. Does this seam like a good plan. I am also planning on doing a heat break between the vent and dome. Right now I am thinking a .5" gap and filling it with ceramic rope and maby the standard ss square tube on the floor with some insulating fb under that. I am also thinking of a 2"reveal.

Does anyone see a problem with what I am thinking? Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

My oven is 36" diameter and my oven opening is the same width as your plan and 1/2 lower than you plan. It works well with the exception of the opening into the chimney. I should have made it a little wider. It smokes a little on startup but draws well when it is hot. The opening is 5 bricks wide and 4" deep going into a 6" durovent chimney.
                            The vent area is 13" deep on my oven and I have no problems reaching the back of the oven.

David

Comment

Welcome and it looks like you are making good progress. Mid July fire could definitely be completed if you have the time. Super duty bricks are not always the best depending on the heftyness of them. I also used super duty bricks because I got all the bricks for my Dome for only $50 and its worth working with them for the cheap cost. With that said, since they are more heavy duty they were more difficult to cut and I went through about 3-4 diamond blades. The medium duty bricks would cut like butter on dull blades that wouldn't go an inch into the super duty bricks.

Good luck on your continued build and I'll continue to watch your progress.
                              Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Well I have finally gotten started on my build. I cut in to my existing patio with a 4.5"grinder with a diamond blade and then used a 8# sledge hammer to bust up the concrete. I got lucky as there was no rear just as light gage steel mesh. But unfortunately 40 year old concrete is not all that easy to break,but it is all done with now.

Now I am working on digging out for the slab. I am going to do 6 " thick for the main part of the slab and a 12" thick edge 12" in. I plan to put a ring of rebar in the deep part of the slab and then 10 " on center grid of 1\2" rear for the rest of it.

Thanks for all the help I have gotten and all that is yet to come.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X