Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Hello Randy

I left a bit over 1/8 gap and filled it with Woodstove door sealing fiberglass rope.
    I cut the entryway bricks to an "L" shape so that they could overlap the inner arch without touching. As I built a column and arch entry way I only cut the "L" bricks across the arch. The columns just have a gap which I filled with Fiber Blanket and the fiberglass rope. I have not had any leaking smoke issues.

David

Comment

I like your idea David I think it solves the problem very cleanly.

See arranged sketch for representation of followng description.

During the building of the outer arch I would recommend placing a piece of cardboard the shape of the inner arch wrapped in wax paper to fill the gap outside the reveal. You can then pull this out prior to firing the oven as the wax paper will prevent sticking and the gap will not fill with mortar when building the flue arch.

For the area on the outside of the inner arch you could attach the rope gasket to the inner arch and then cover with wax paper to prevent the mortar from filling any gaps in the gasket material.

I also agree with the 8 inch flue. I have a 10 inch and a 42 inch oven and it breathes very well
      Last edited by mrchipster; 04-21-2015, 07:33 AM.
      Chip

Comment

I built my flue that way. Stuffed the crack with ceramic rope from the back side, and filled the oven side with high-temp caulk.

Pictures here. I got away from those little chip bricks after the first course though.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/6/st...tml#post132317
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hello Chip

I did not originate the Idea. I am sure I read about it on another build. Read so many during the planning stages that most of them became one giant build in my head.

If I could do it over I would make the entry to the chimney wider and deeper. I went with 5 bricks wide by 4" deep (front to back) into a 6" chimney pipe. I do get some smoke that does not get drawn up the chimney especially on startup. Wider is probable more important than deeper as I can see the smoke run along the vent roof, some gets pulled back into the chimney the rest comes out the front.

David

Comment

Hello Deejayoh

It may well have been your build I first saw the "L" shaped brick idea.
            Thank you.

I read through as many builds as I could gleaning ideas and solutions as I worked out my plans.
            Having built one almost dud (The 2 colour brick oven) I wanted to be sure oven No 2 was as good as it could be.
            With the help and advice I got from this Forum it has exceeded my expectations and continues to impress me with what I can cook in it.

David

Comment

Thanks for all the help from everyone. I think that looks like a good solid plan and I think that is the way I am going to go.

I have another question. I started dry stacking my base this afternoon and I am trying to figure out how to deal with the face where the oven will face. I am planning to poor a arch for the lentil over the wood storage area. I am thinking that if I just leave the cmu's alone the entrance will get very narrow. So I was thinking of cutting the end of the block at a 45? angle to widen it up and also open it up and, help to anchor it in to the wall as well. Does this sound like a good plan? I have a picture of how I was planning to cut.

Randy

Comment

Sorry must have timed out and lost the pictures. Here they are.

Randy

Comment

I think that would work just fine and dandy. You will need as wide of an opening as possible for a corner build. Without multiple openings, this area will be difficult to access. Forming the sides with a 1"X12" board or plywood and stepping back 1/2 block for the top row would make a heck of a strong arched entry to the wood storage area for a corner build.

I'm still waiting for someone to pioneer a Lazy Susan for a corner build. My next build will have one .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Randy, With your 8" flue you might consider a local sheet metal shop. They can make it to the diameter and lengths you want. I had mine fabricated locally and was charged less than $350 for the flue, the chimney pipe and a 'chinamans hat' to top off the show. It does end up with a seam but if that goes to the back it is fine.

I am happy with mine a couple of years down the track and have used the same shop to do a couple more for other builds I have done. I like to support the little local places where I can too.
                    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Gulf this idea of a lazy Susan is a interesting one. We're you thinking that it would make accessing the wood easyer? I was thinking and you could just pun a bunch of swivel casters down and a dubble layer of plywood with some kind of post in the middle to hold it in place. I think it might not be that hard to do, and make access better.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                        Gulf this idea of a lazy Susan is a interesting one. We're you thinking that it would make accessing the wood easyer? I was thinking and you could just pun a bunch of swivel casters down and a dubble layer of plywood with some kind of post in the middle to hold it in place. I think it might not be that hard to do, and make access better.

Randy
                        Well, maybe some wood for easy reach to replentish the fire during the evening. I store the bulk of my wood in another area that is within easy transport distance by a wheelbarrow for the initial firing. I'm thinking mostly about the other cooking related items that need to be within easy reach. Depending on the type of cooking that you will do, you may want some of the following items within easy reach: Insulated gloves, food service gloves, oven thermometers, meat probe thermometers, matches, oven lighters, flash lights, paper towels, aluminum foil, salt, pepper, dried herbs, spices, BBQ tongs, spatulas, tuscan grills, beer can chicken holders, pots, pans, skillets, dutch ovens, rib racks, and I'm sure that I missed something...........oh yes......beer .

But, I guess someone could construct a lighter duty Lazy Susan, for just a "wood storage"

Edit: Castors, like you mentioned, would work. It might be a little difficult to reverse direction, if they are the swivel type. But, as long as the susan was rotatated the same direction, each time, it should turn fairly freely. I was actually thinking along the terms of using a 12" lasy susan ball bearing unit and depending on the center pole for balance. I would raise the bearing unit up off of the slab some to keep it out of mosture. I'm not sure that I would double the 3/4" bottom shelf. It would be doubled at the splice. (Any shelf over 48" shelf would have to be spliced) But, I would stiffen the outside of the shelf by glueing about 3 layers of a 1/4" plywood band around it's perimeter. This band would be about inches. That would not only stiffen the bottom shelf, but also help keep things from falling off of the shelf. Things that fall off of lazy susans usually fall off in the nether regions of the cabinet. Those things are usually lost forever or worse, foul the shelf from turning easily.
                        Last edited by Gulf; 04-24-2015, 02:19 AM.
                        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hey gulf thanks for the clarification on your thoughts. I will keep that in mind as my build progresses. It is definitely a interesting option and would increase the storage capacity.

I have another question /thought that I came up with. In a fit of laziness and looking for cost vs speed vs performance what do people think about useing 4" of ceramic board insulation instead of 2" of ceramic board and 4" vermicreete. Would I loose any heat retention. I got my order from McGills and the lazy side does not want to mix up the vermiculite and cement and then wait for it to dry. Cost wise I am guessing it would be a little over 100$ more. So that just leaves the performance. I do not want to sacrifice heat retention just because I am in a hurry. Does anyone have experience with both? Thanks for all the help.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

I have 3'" of Fiber board under my hearth and I my hearth temperature drops from 700 to 166 over 3 days. That was with cooking bread, Beef, Cookies and more bread on one firing. Based on that I would say you should be good with 4" of Fiber board.

David

Comment

This Lazy Susan conversation has a lot of potential! How about an octagonal one with wedge shaped removable bins (with or without lids) to cater for various grades of burning material and bits and pieces of equipment. A shallow shelf under the slab could hold the longer things.

Might be a lot more potential than a casual thought reveals.

With the insulation, if money is no object then there are plenty of shortcuts. The reality is that a week here or there in the construction of something that is built to last a very long time is nothing much.

Good luck with your build.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Thanks David and Greenman I appreciate your knowledge and experience. I do understand that the week is not a huge deal either way. But I know people have voiced concerns about the vermicreete wanting to squish out from under the oven if you don't have it properly contained, and if that is the case if I did 4b of ceramic board insulation if it would be as good or better than that seams like a good plan. I thought I heard that the board was twice as good a insulator as the vermicreete. So it would take less time and be as good or better and more stable.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X