Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Hello Randy

The Kitchen looks great. Nice to be able to do that kind of work your self. It may take longer but is much more satisfying.

I had the sad feeling when the dome was finished but once you get cooking that feeling will be a distant memory.

David

Comment

Thanks David you are right about it being satisfying to do things your self. I may have bitten off more than I had time for with the kitchen because I took out a bed room and moved walls around. Almost no room was left untouched in that project.

I do have a question. How long does everyone wait to take there forms off? I still have mine on and covered in plastic. I am out of town for the weekend. I would think they should be able to come off early next week. Does this seam like a good plan? I can't wait to see how my arch turned out. It is killing me to wait.

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

I know about those kind of jobs. Did hardwood floor and tile through the house.

I think the forms can come off after several days. Longer is probable better than shorter.
        I left mine on for several weeks because I found they were a place to stand while I worked on the dome.

David

Comment

I left mine on for a while, I think it was a week or so. The longer you leave them on the better the surfaces will hold up. As I recall 30 days till nearly full cure.
          Chip

Comment

Hey Chip I think I will be taking off my forms at about 5he 1 week point. But I am going to leave the framework for the slab support in place for a while yet. It can't hurt anything.

On a separate note. Chip I saw a Norton clipper saw like you have at work yesterday. Man that thing is a monster. I can see where it could be helpful in making certain cuts.

The rest of my insulation showed up today, so all I need is s few patio pavers to space up everything to the right height. I am at 35.5" ot top of slab so 1.5"paver + 4"insulation + 2.5" brick= 43.5" oven floor. I think that sounds good so I think that is what I am going with.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
              Hey Chip I think I will be taking off my forms at about 5he 1 week point. But I am going to leave the framework for the slab support in place for a while yet. It can't hurt anything.

On a separate note. Chip I saw a Norton clipper saw like you have at work yesterday. Man that thing is a monster. I can see where it could be helpful in making certain cuts.

The rest of my insulation showed up today, so all I need is s few patio pavers to space up everything to the right height. I am at 35.5" ot top of slab so 1.5"paver + 4"insulation + 2.5" brick= 43.5" oven floor. I think that sounds good so I think that is what I am going with.

Randy
              Randy,

After a week there will be no problem pulling the forms. I sold the Clipper for what i bought it for, to my brother in law (wife's oldest brother) he got the oven bug from me. Minus the diamond blades i burned thru......

I think you are right on the money for the height. I cannot wait to see your progress in person.
              Last edited by mrchipster; 05-02-2015, 07:31 PM.
              Chip

Comment

That is great that you managed to sell your saw for what you paid. That is always a win in my book. Yeah I would love to have you come take a look at what I have done. And I also need to stop by and see your setup. I will call you soon.

Randy

Comment

Well curiosity finally got the best of me and I could not resist the temptation to take at least some of my forms off. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I wish I had a concrete vibrator as I have a few air pockets but once I cover the exterior with something no one will be any the wiser. I can't wait to see the inside of the arch and see how that turned out, but it was to wet after the rain to crawl around on the ground. Maby tomarrow will be better.

Randy

Comment

I finally got the rest of my arch form out. It came out pretty easy.

Randy

Comment

• Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Looking good, Randy, I like it! I recently pulled my braces and plywood out from under my hearth... I think my black eye and ear laceration are almost healed :-) Be careful under there and if you get angry, don't throw the hammer, it's a little tight under there ;-)

-Alex
                      Last edited by sharptailhunter; 05-05-2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

That came out looking good Randy. The air bubbles are only cosmetic, like you say. I can see others following your lead, it is quite effective.
                        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Alex and Steve, thanks for the complements. It turned out pretty much as I imagined. I pretty much did the reverse of how I hid my support posts in my basement. It took me a while to come up with a plan that time, so I just reused what I already had figured out. I always say give a lazy man a difficult job and watch him find a easy way to do it. So I often take round about ways to get things done.

Well I did not buy quite enough pavers for spacers,but I got enough to do a layout. I am glad I over sized my base. I went with 70"x70". So now that I noticed that I need to add 2.5" to the front of my oven for the arch I am 1" from the front edge of the stand. That is a lot closer than I had thought it would be. I thought I might have 6"in front of the vent. So at some point I might add a little lip in front of the vent . You got to have a spot for your beer right.

Thanks to Mrchipster I finally found my fire clay and now have the last of my ingredients for the home brew mortar. So I am hoping for some good weather this weekend so I can actually get started on putting together the stuff I have cut, and maby cut some more pices.

Randy

Comment

Your plywood template will make a great floor protector while building the dome. Cut the circle into 3 pieces and they will slide out the inner arch after the dome is complete.

See the attached sketch. Cut on the dashed lines and seal cuts with duct tape. As we discussed earlier, make sure to add a layer of corrugated cardboard to the outside of the floor to allow for expansion. It will burn out and fill with ash after the first few firings. Tape over the corrugated and wrap over the ply around the perimeter to prevent mortar from getting into the gap created by the corrugated.
                            Last edited by mrchipster; 05-07-2015, 07:45 PM.
                            Chip

Comment

Hey Chip it looks like your sketch did not go through. That is what I was planning to do with the plywood template. I also got my IT tool done a few weeks ago. I have not cut the all thread to length yet but that is not hard to do. Should I also put a lay r of cardboard down too?

Randy

Comment

Hello Randy

Looking really good. I like the arch.

With the IT tool remember to have the rod connect to the brick support on the Brick centerline otherwise the brick angle will be slightly off.

David

Comment

Working...
                                X