Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    Ok so I guess I thought worng. I had envisioned a cone cut to the center of the dome. I forgot that I moved center line up 2.5" so other than miss shaping the dome is this going to cause any big problems? Or is it more a cosmetic thing and might make it a little harder as I get to the top?

Randy
    You did not think wrong it is a difficult concept to grasp. It is a math specialty called analytical geometry. The study of intersecting shapes. Today Google sketch makes these problems trivial but 37 years ago I did an independent study course while on my internship drawing out complex intersections by hand on a drafting board. The shapes were even more complex than this so grasping the concept for me was quite easy. Execution with brick - on the other hand was best left to make them as you go.

Your inner arch is fine. It just makes it a little more difficult to transition the dome to the arch.

The inner arch can be calculated and created prior to the dome but I found it easier to build my reaching arch as I went.

With your current inner arch shape the dome will develop a teardrop shape as it will reach higher than would to be true of a perfect hemisphere.

It will not have a significant effect on the performance you will just find yourself creating some very custom bricks to make the transition work.

Case in point. If you look at the Forno bravo plans they do not even chamfer the inner sides of their arch. Look at some of the crazy bricks over the arch On some of those builds. Talk about strange complicated cuts....
    Last edited by mrchipster; 05-29-2015, 03:50 PM.
    Chip

Comment

Originally posted by gastagg View Post
      So is the solution generally to build the arch as you add courses?
      Yes, it is not required but for those of us without CNC brick milling equipment I believe it is an easier route to take.

I think the rain today will stop any forward progress on your Minnesota ovens for at least 24 hours so you have a chance to think about dome and arch intersects for a few hours. What Fun!!!
      Chip

Comment

Hey Chip thanks for the response. I guess a lesson learned. At least it should not have a effect on performance. I can handel the cuts . I guess I should have been a little more patient and done the arch as I went. Next time

Randy

Comment

It won't have any effect on performance. In fact, I don't think the slight tear-drop will be noticed by anyone except you.

To demonstrate how far you are out can you post a picture from side on with your IT sitting on top of the arch?
          Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Hello Randy

In case you have not completed the chains over the arch here is a suggestion.

I added a temporary leg to my IT tool to help maintain the level of the chains.

David

Comment

I did as asked last night and put my it up on top of the arch and it looks like I am about 3\8" off at the top of the arch. So not to bad. I will just make it fit. I am now 2\3 of the way done with the 3rd course above the half soldier course. I am going to have all weekend to work alone. My wife and son will be out of town so I am hoping to get a lot done. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
                I did as asked last night and put my it up on top of the arch and it looks like I am about 3\8" off at the top of the arch. So not to bad. I will just make it fit. I am now 2\3 of the way done with the 3rd course above the half soldier course. I am going to have all weekend to work alone. My wife and son will be out of town so I am hoping to get a lot done. Thanks for the help.

Randy
                Not serious, and at that location the only people who will know is you and the forum.
                Chip

Comment

I remember those solo days of working on the dome. It was a great time and I have good memories from it. Many days feeling sore from working so hard and in my case out in the heat. "Dead of Summer"

You will get a lot done. Just stay hydrated with lot's of beer.
                  Don't listen to the lookie loo buddies that will undoubtedly pop in. Knowing your wife is away and the cooler is full. I can bet you will get some input that you didn't need lol.

Good luck.
                  Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

Well I got a bunch done today on my build. I cut and mortared in the last half of my 3rd course and also cut and mortared my 4th and 5th course. And got most of the cuts for the 6th course. So I would have to say that I am very happy with what I got done today.

I also had to replace my blade today. I am pretty happy with the ware I got out of it. I think that I will be able to finish the rest of my cuts with this blade.

And last but definitely not least. I got to meet Chip (mrchipster ) and show him my progress,and ask a few questions as well. I had a great visit with him. Thanks for stopping by Chip. I can't wait to see your oven sometime soon.

Randy

Comment

Your making good progress.

The slight teardrop will be irrelevant. Your photo with the IT showing the 3/8" gap is a good reference for any future builders to understand what we are talking about when we mention the teardrop.
                      Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Yeah the tear drop shape will not be very pronounced. But it is a good lesson to others in the future. To do it right cut as you go. If you don't care about perfection you may be able to pre cut everything. I won't say it is a good plan but it is what I did.

Randy

Comment

Well my weekend of hard work got me a long way. I am 3 couses over the arch. And thanks to everyone who warned me about the tearea drop shape. It sure was. But it was not to hard to fix with a few slivers of brick. I am hoping to get one more course done later this evening. If I could have worked past 3 yesterday and past 2 today I think I would have closed the dome. Hopefully later this week.

Randy

Comment

Nice.. Great progress.
                            Chip

Comment

Well I got a few hrs after dinner and got a little more done. I am pretty happy with how it turned out so far. There are a few things If I had noticed I might have fixed . But none are structural so I am not going to worry about it. And it looks pretty good in pictures so maby not as bad as I think.

I also put a picture of the tear drop and how I fixed it.

I am truly amazed at how sticky the home brew is. All I have used so far is my it. I would leave it in place till I had the next brick buttered up and put it in and move the it to hold that one and repeat.

I am also amazed at how round and level everything is. I was going fast and did not pay much attention but the IT makes it almost fool proof. I hope to finish the last corse and plug this week. Thanks to all for the help and support.

Randy

Comment

Great job. You have to be happy with that. You will have the sniff of a pizza soon if you don't have it now.

Congratulations.
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X