Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Ok good to know. I do also have a bag of mason's sand that I corse'er I will use that for back filling. For that did you use piping bags or trowels? And do most wait till the dome is done to back fill or fill as you go. Thanks for the help.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
      Ok good to know. I do also have a bag of mason's sand that I corse'er I will use that for back filling. For that did you use piping bags or trowels? And do most wait till the dome is done to back fill or fill as you go. Thanks for the help.

Randy
      I think it will be to coarse and firm for a piping bag.

I have seen it done both ways wait or all at once at the end. I would lean towards backfill as you go but maybe the day after setting the bricks so you do not dislodge freshly set bricks.

I think if you are using shims to hold the bricks at an angle, having them sticking out like a porcupine during the whole build would be a pain.

Some people use the thin slivers from their brick cutting to do part of the back filling. And then leave them in place forever.
      Just my 2 cents.
      Last edited by mrchipster; 05-13-2015, 04:58 AM.
      Chip

Comment

For me I used a piping bag with a bit of wetter mix.
        I tried both methods and ultimately ended up mixing in the piping bag and shaking it to mix and piping like a mad man.

it worked really well.
        Messy though.

I was also using the forno bravo mortar mix which was much easier to work with than my home brew.

Really fine sand.
        Darin I often cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food... WC Fields Link to my build http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...-ca-20497.html My Picasa Pics https://picasaweb.google.com/1121076...eat=directlink

Comment

I got a few hours of work done again today and I got my first corse all mortared in place. It took a few bricks to get the hang of it but once I figured it out it went pretty good. I am glad I got it all done as it is going to rain for a few days now. I got it all tarped up so it will not get wet. Now to see how it looks when I can open it up this weekend.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            I think it will be to coarse and firm for a piping bag.

I have seen it done both ways wait or all at once at the end. I would lean towards backfill as you go but maybe the day after setting the bricks so you do not dislodge freshly set bricks.

I think if you are using shims to hold the bricks at an angle, having them sticking out like a porcupine during the whole build would be a pain.

Some people use the thin slivers from their brick cutting to do part of the back filling. And then leave them in place forever.
            Just my 2 cents.
            Using some wooden wedges works quite well. When you've laid half a dozen bricks remove them to reuse as you go.That way you only need about six wedges.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Well I finally got to do a little more work on my oven. I have got about half my 2nd corse done and I got my arch for the oven entry finished. I know people have used a lot of different things as spacers, but I think I may have a first. I used wire nuts as my spacers. The yellow ones were the right height for the arch and some red ones I have are the right thickness for my dome bricks. You know what they say. Use what you know.

Randy

Comment

Randy, that looks great! What are the dimensions of your opening? I was wondering what those yellow things were!
                George

See my build thread here.

See my build album here.

Comment

Like your indispensible tool too!
                  George

See my build album here.

Comment

Gastagg thanks for the complements. I can not take credit for the IT I just copyed someone else here on the site. As for oven opening it is 12.5" tall by 19.25" wide.

I got a few hours of work in last night again. I got my first 2 courses of bricks in and got it tied in to the arch. It seamstress take longer and more mortar than I was thinking that it would. Now I need to start cutting for the next course.

Randy

Comment

Randy,
                      Are you going for a "teardrop" shape for the transition from the dome to inner arch?
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hi gulf I may have missed something. What do you mean by tear drop shaped entry transition? And if that is what I have set myself up for then yes I guess that is what I will have. I may have missed something along the way. I did what seamed right. I realize it might not be quite what everyone else has done but it looks to me like it will work and be serviceable . Please correct me if I am wrong and need to change something. Thanks for all the help

Comment

Randy,

The point where the dome brick meet the inner arch will step in with each course following the curve of the dome. The cut of the inner arch would follow that same curve. That would meen that the inner arch brick should protrude further toward the center of the dome as the heighth of the arch increases for those two planes to match. You can check that with your IT.

I just confused myself. Maybe, someone will step in with pics.

Sorry to set off the alarms

EDIT:
                          I did a quick search. Here is a pic from Deejayoh's build. It sort of shows what I am referring to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	34894d1365983508-new-build-werribee-415900_3442594740070_620169088_o.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	308477
                          Last edited by Gulf; 05-28-2015, 04:10 PM.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf good catch, I have not been keeping a close eye on this thread.

Randy, what Gulf is trying. To say is that the inner arch bricks, as you have cut them are all uniform. I am sorry I did not discuss this with you earlier.

But, as the dome goes up the diameter of the interior of the oven gets smaller. Therefore the inner arch needs to reach in to match that smaller diameter. The shape of the bricks making up the inner arch will become longer and the exposed lower surface inside the dome becomes smaller and the surface receiving the dome brick becomes larger. The shape of this surface is easy to describe with a piece of string or your IT can be used to help describe it.
                            Chip

Comment

So is the solution generally to build the arch as you add courses?
                              George

See my build album here.

Comment

Ok so I guess I thought worng. I had envisioned a cone cut to the center of the dome. I forgot that I moved center line up 2.5" so other than miss shaping the dome is this going to cause any big problems? Or is it more a cosmetic thing and might make it a little harder as I get to the top?

Randy

Comment

Working...
                                X